Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Noise From Front Of Car After Driving Approx 5 Yards

Red Earl

When starting engine and first driving off, after about five yards there is a sound coming from the front of the car (only lasts about a second). It only happens after first ignition and never again whilst driving around. I could drive all day without a repeat, but if I stop the engine (even for a couple of seconds) and start her up again, I get the same noise.

Ive tested it in first & second gear and I get the noise but it doesnt happen in reverse. The sound is a bit hard to describe, sounds like something is engaging but not as smooth as it should perhaps. A bit like gears slipping for a second.

Im not at all mechanically minded so can only give a vague description. Is it anything that sounds familiar to any of you ?

When starting engine and first driving off, after about five yards there is a sound coming from the front of the car (only lasts about a second). It only happens after first ignition and never again whilst driving around. I could drive all day without a repeat, but if I stop the engine (even for a couple of seconds) and start her up again, I get the same noise.

Ive tested it in first & second gear and I get the noise but it doesnt happen in reverse. The sound is a bit hard to describe, sounds like something is engaging but not as smooth as it should perhaps. A bit like gears slipping for a second.

Im not at all mechanically minded so can only give a vague description. Is it anything that sounds familiar to any of you ?

Yep - it certainly sounds familiar. What you are likely to be hearing is the Traction Control Self Test and is nothing to be worried about.

TeyaDog

Thanks for the quick response.

To be sure though, is it normal for this noise to occur "after" the car has travelled five or 6 yards in a forward gear. I thought the self test would happen before the vehicle was in motion ?

If I turned the TC off would it still perform the self test? Im just wondering if there was a test I could carry out to be sure its what you have suggested. Dont want to take to dealer if its totally normal.

AS the previous poster has said it sounds like the traction control self test !!! it can be a bit alarming to start with but you get used to it !!

Sometimes it's the ABS system starting aswell.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links