Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Observations And Such.

Soarersan

Yeah, so anyway I'm back again with some observations (and questions) about the T-Spirit.

This is easily the most advanced car I've ever owned, and as such, there are a few features missing that I would've expected to be onboard...

- Reversing camera/sensors. Granted a reversing camera mightn't necessarily be needed, but a car with such a high back should at least have sensors.

- Folding Mirrors. They can draw the wrong sort of attention from bored young fellas, but they're wicked handy in carparks.

- Mirror de-icers. My old '91 Soarer had them, why not a '05 Prius.

- Auto lights/wipers. If the French can do them....

- Fuel guage. I woulda thought that displaying the amount of litres left in the tank, or the approximate range in miles left in the tank would've been a standard feature.

- Auto door locking/Anti-hijack. Seems to be available in most/all autos these days. Once you travel more than 10km/h, the doors should lock automatically. Maybe they do but mine are broken?!?!

- Tyre pressure sensors. Again, if the French can do them....

- mph to kmh switching. Pity the odometer and tripmeter don't change too. They always stay on miles.

Like I said, none of the above are exactly necessary, but I would've thought they'd be onboard.

And now some question....

- The "b" gear. I used that a lot on my travels, primarily slowing down coming to a roundabout. As soon as I was taking off again, I knocked it back into drive and went on my merry way. I never used it while accelerating or driving normally. I've been reading since that normal braking is more/just as effective as the "b" button.

So have I being using it right?

Can you over-use it?

Is it damaging to be switching from b to d and back often?

- Power Button. Noticed this most when I was waiting for the boat. I'd have the power button on green to listen to the radio, but when I wanted to open/close the window, I had to turn the power button to orange, then turn the power off, then turn it back onto green. I got the feeling I shouldn't be doing it?!

Is it ok to do that?

Can you do it too often?

Is there a way of changing from orange to green without turning it off?

- Tht radar button thing under the steering wheel.

What's it for? Does it blow up lave hoggers in front of you or anything? B)

I think that's about it.

Let the games begin! ;)

Sorry can not answer many of your questions but it sounds like you are enjoying finding out about the car.Reversing sensors are not that expensive to buy.I just put a set on my Corolla got them on eBay for £20.00.Painted them for 12.00 and fitted them myself albeit in work with the use of the lift.Will do the wifes Auris next week.

Keep us posted on the Prius

Soarersan,

That is a lot of Qs you ask.

Reversing sensors and folding mirrors if you had them before you will miss them. I miss folding mirrors.

Mirror deicers you have those. Go to climate and you will find rear screen heater and front heater. The front one is for the mirrors. Just touch the screen to activate them. Check your handbook as it maybe in menu?

I have an all door lock from inside it is situated on drivers door. Check your manual I think you have this.

MPH/KM you can switch those over but I am not sure what you mean here.

The switch under the steering wheel is if you leave an animal in the car with alarm set . Switching it off stops the alarm going off with movement inside the vehicle.

"B" is for brake and is used if you are going down any steep hill. The engine automatilly brakes and the braking energy is used to charge the batteries. Now that is good technology. Do not use it for normal driving it is for deceleration downhill. I use it for this regularly.

Power button green gives basic electrics ie radio etc. On orange it powers up all electrics but will not start the engine. You were using it correctly.

I have missed some things out as I find fuel gauge etc OK for my use.

Anything else you want to know please ask. Hope this helps.

Regards Chris.

Chris

I am puzzled by your answer re the heated mirrors, as I have a 2007 T Spirit and have really missed the heated mirrors I have had on other cars.

My manual says that the Rear Heated window switch operates the heated mirrors on some models, and not the front one?

I have just been out to the car, and even after having the switch on for 5 mins, the mirrors did not get warm!

Maybe the top of the range T Spirit is not one of the models with this feature!

Any advice would be appreciated.

Chris

I have not operated mine, but I think it is in climate??? I have rear window heater touch selector and also FRONT touch selector. I read what it was for some time ago so I may be wrong but my handbook I recall said FRONT is for heated mirrors?? To be honest I have never tried it to see if it works, I seem to recall the handbook said do not leave it on unless needed??

I will be in the car tomorrow I will check it out. I definitely have a FRONT heater selector on my 57 Prius what it operates I will let you know. The FRONT touch selector is next to the rear screen heater selector.

I apologise if I have misled anybody. I will let you know. I am away tomorrow so I will reply Sunday.

Thanks Chris

I will keep trying as well, to find out which switch it is!!

Not really the weather for testing at the moment!

I have tried to check the mirrorheater out. Read page 144 of owners manual. It says the front heater (mirror Heater) is on some models. If you go to CLIMATE the front heater is at the bottom of the screen. You can select front heater and the indicator lights up. It is so hot outside today I could not tell whether the mirror was warm from the heater or the sun.

The mirror heating system is definitely on my Prius T-spirit but I cannot tell if it is connected up?? Have to wait for a cold day. Check it out and let me know your thoughts on this.

Chris.

I have tried to check the mirrorheater out. Read page 144 of owners manual. It says the front heater (mirror Heater) is on some models. If you go to CLIMATE the front heater is at the bottom of the screen. You can select front heater and the indicator lights up. It is so hot outside today I could not tell whether the mirror was warm from the heater or the sun.

The mirror heating system is definitely on my Prius T-spirit but I cannot tell if it is connected up?? Have to wait for a cold day. Check it put and let me know your thoughts on this.

Chris.

Thanks Chris

Looks like we will have to wait for some colder weather......................hope not just yet though!!

The mirror heating system is definitely on my Prius T-spirit but I cannot tell if it is connected up?? Have to wait for a cold day. Check it put and let me know your thoughts on this.

Chris.

Hi

I have an 08 TSpirit (2 months old and very happy).

The UK Prius models do not have heated mirrors which is a real poor marketing decision by Toyota in my view. Not sure why you think they are on your car ?

The two 'heater' switches you mention are for front screen demist (Toyota dont fit heated windscreens) and for the rear screen heater.

I have replaced my door mirror glasses with photocatalytic mirrors on the recommendation of Stompe. I was there when my friendly garage fitted them for me (easy really once you know how) and can confirm that there isn't a heating element in the mirrors. Prius page at Sigma auto photo catalytic mirror

Some other points.

The B button applies the brakes (or retards the engine - not sure) so that you get 'engine braking'. Don use this too much cos its not good for economy. Also if you brake (rather than use B) then you regen energy (its not the braking its the free-wheeling that regens energy)

Radar button turns off the internal space alarm if you leave a dog or something in the car

Dont know of another way to cycle the power - not sure this does any damage.

All of the above is in the manual

And... you missed off the photochromatic (dipping) rear view mirror ! again I solved by fitting one of these...Alpha mirror alternatives are available.

OK I travel and its easier for me to get these extras but I bought mine at a lower cost from the manufacturer on eBay

Russ

I have replaced my door mirror glasses with photocatalytic mirrors on the recommendation of Stompe. I was there when my friendly garage fitted them for me (easy really once you know how) and can confirm that there isn't a heating element in the mirrors. Prius page at Sigma auto photo catalytic mirror

Waqs there any wiring behind the mirrors to accomodate heating?

[

Was there any wiring behind the mirrors to accomodate heating?

HI

- NO. didnt see any heater wiring (or I would have the heated mirror glass fitted also) A strange ommission from Toyota.

But you can double check with your dealer.

I wont know if the Photocatalytics help reduce ice and snow build up until winter, but I can tell you that they give very clear vision in rain -- do droplets or misting at all. Very happy even though they cost £50 the pair.

I have always presumed that the lack of demisting mirrors was because the car was originally designed for the Californian market :o

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links