Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Remote Locking Problems

beewize

Hi ! I'm new on here and I'm really hoping someone can help. I have just bought a Rav4 GX 3 door 1995 N reg and I only have one key which centrally locks from the drivers door but the key does not have any remote buttons on it so my question is: Does my car have REMOTE central locking but I just have a manual key ? Did all Rav4s' have remote locking as standard ? If I obtain a key with buttons what kind of problems and expense will I encounter while getting it all to operate correctly ?

Ok so thats actually 3 questions !!!

Help please !

Cheers !

Hi ! I'm new on here and I'm really hoping someone can help. I have just bought a Rav4 GX 3 door 1995 N reg and I only have one key which centrally locks from the drivers door but the key does not have any remote buttons on it so my question is: Does my car have REMOTE central locking but I just have a manual key ? Did all Rav4s' have remote locking as standard ? If I obtain a key with buttons what kind of problems and expense will I encounter while getting it all to operate correctly ?

Ok so thats actually 3 questions !!!

Help please !

Cheers !

If you look back at the remote alarm problems of the early RAVs you'll see that once the remote fob is lost then it can be difficult to find a solution. Yes, it will have had remote locking.

First, do a search of this forum where theres lots of experiences.....

• 2 weeks later...
Will do - Thanks !

Hiya,

I got a 1994 model a couple of weeks ago, central locking but no remote....

Found a Sparkrite SR85 box under the bonnet but all disconnected, not surprised from having a look through posts.

I'm not too worried about alarms, but want the remote so I've ordered one from e-bay for £19.99. Claims to do what I want and should connect straight into the RAV using negative pulse lock/unlock. I've found the wires that connect onto the door lock control relay, so just waiting to connect up and try.

Good luck with yours.

?? anyone want a Sparkrite thingmy box doo daa. No scratches on case, but functionality unknown :)

Hi. Thanks for your response. Sounds like we're in the same boat. I too only want the remote central locking and have looked on eBay but could only find systems including alarm. Would you tell me the exact details of the one you've ordered so I can have a look at it please ?

Hi. Thanks for your response. Sounds like we're in the same boat. I too only want the remote central locking and have looked on Ebay but could only find systems including alarm. Would you tell me the exact details of the one you've ordered so I can have a look at it please ?

This is the one i've ordered (should receive today or tomorrow)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...em=360076006727

I'm planning to connect it up and give it a quick test as soon as it arrives so I'll let you know how it goes.

Hi. Thanks for your response. Sounds like we're in the same boat. I too only want the remote central locking and have looked on Ebay but could only find systems including alarm. Would you tell me the exact details of the one you've ordered so I can have a look at it please ?

I'm planning to connect it up and give it a quick test as soon as it arrives so I'll let you know how it goes.

Got it yesterday and did a quick connect for test and works fine.

It's a pretty basic unit, don't know exactly how secure it is, but suits me on an older vehicle.

I'm looking into connections to give indicator flash on lock/unlock (has a +12v flashing output), also perhaps connection onto window wind up options. And maybe even interior light on for 30 secs or so on unluck.

Good news on the unit working :thumbsup:

Sounds super value to get the central locking working again. I was looking at the auto-window winders myself and seen about 3 different verisons - Have you spotted a good one yourself?

Got it yesterday and did a quick connect for test and works fine.

It's a pretty basic unit, don't know exactly how secure it is, but suits me on an older vehicle.

I'm looking into connections to give indicator flash on lock/unlock (has a +12v flashing output), also perhaps connection onto window wind up options. And maybe even interior light on for 30 secs or so on unluck.

Ok thanks for the info, I'll give it a look !

Sounds super value to get the central locking working again. I was looking at the auto-window winders myself and seen about 3 different verisons - Have you spotted a good one yourself?

Havn't looked at the window winders in detail, still considering what to do, either keep power to the windows on for a while after ignition off or set up something with the lock function.

The other bit I'm looking at is a flashing LED.

Good job I havn't got power sun roof :D

Havn't looked at the window winders in detail, still considering what to do, either keep power to the windows on for a while after ignition off or set up something with the lock function.

Quick update,

Remote locking fitted permanently now, works fine.

I'm waiting for a copy of the Haynes manual so I can check out the electrics etc. before I go any further with my other options.

I have also asked the suppler of the remote unit how his auto window wind up unit works.

Will let you know.

• 1 month later...

Quick update,

Remote locking fitted permanently now, works fine.

I'm waiting for a copy of the Haynes manual so I can check out the electrics etc. before I go any further with my other options.

I have also asked the suppler of the remote unit how his auto window wind up unit works.

Will let you know.

Done a bit more on this, with automatic flashing LED and indicators. I've used an auxiliary relay which is operated and stays on when door is unlocked, then releases with the lock signal to provide power to the flashing LED. This is the circuit schematic if anyones interested, it may not be the ideal solution but it works for me. Please note that this is not guaranteed, warranted, government approved or any of that stuff, so if anyone does use it, on your head be it. I've put the release switch in so that it can be controlled if the remote unit fails.

remote.jpg

Any comments welcome

BTW never heard back from guy about operation of auto window wind up unit.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi. Help needed!!!

I bought a sm-188 universal keyless entry system, to fit to my 1996 rav and was wondering where's the best bit to wire it upto? :( :( :( i had a look behide the glove box abd all a saw was wires with fuses joining them up

Hi. Help needed!!!

I bought a sm-188 universal keyless entry system, to fit to my 1996 rav and was wondering where's the best bit to wire it upto? :( :( :( i had a look behide the glove box abd all a saw was wires with fuses joining them up

Hi there,

I too found in line fuses on wires from the original alarm system connecting up behind the drivers side panels (above pedals). Couldn't work out exact connections into vehicle wiring so I cut them off (and taped up).

I connected up the lock and unlock wires from the new unit to the wiring on the door control relay (red thing behind drivers side dash, left of and roughly level with steering wheel).

I unplugged the relay and used a multi meter to find the wires that gave an earth when the lock/unlock switch on the drivers door is operated. I did write the colours down somewhere but can't find it now. If you get really really really stuck let me know and i'll take the panels off again and check.

good luck.......

Hi. Help needed!!!

Hi there,

I too found in line fuses on wires from the original alarm system connecting up behind the drivers side panels (above pedals). Couldn't work out exact connections into vehicle wiring so I cut them off (and taped up).

I connected up the lock and unlock wires from the new unit to the wiring on the door control relay (red thing behind drivers side dash, left of and roughly level with steering wheel).

I unplugged the relay and used a multi meter to find the wires that gave an earth when the lock/unlock switch on the drivers door is operated. I did write the colours down somewhere but can't find it now. If you get really really really stuck let me know and i'll take the panels off again and check.

good luck.......

Thanks for the quick reply i have found the orangey/red box but a dont gave a multi meter and dont want to start cutting wires willy nilly, so if you could have a wee look at yours, .....that would be great... :D

Hi. Help needed!!!

Hi there,

good luck.......

Thanks for the quick reply i have found the orangey/red box but a dont gave a multi meter and dont want to start cutting wires willy nilly, so if you could have a wee look at yours, .....that would be great... :D

I have found the permenant live on the door locking control and wired up the as-188 unit to it and a earth point, and it klicks away then i press the fob....but i cant figure out where the rest of the units wires go ( no corrasponding colours on the rav) and the various combanations I'v tryed havent proven correct yet? can somebody give me some info on this.....

Hi. Help needed!!!

Hi there,

good luck.......

I have found the permenant live on the door locking control and wired up the as-188 unit to it and a earth point, and it klicks away then i press the fob....but i cant figure out where the rest of the units wires go ( no corrasponding colours on the rav) and the various combanations I'v tryed havent proven correct yet? can somebody give me some info on this.....

Back again.

OK, had a check on what I've done, and thought I'd better write it down.

I don't know the pin numbers, but this is what I've got looking at the back of the connector on the door control relay with the locking tab in the centre left position.

from top left downwards:

blank

blank

Red (motor)

Blue (motor)

blank

blank

blank

from top right downwards

White / Red (+12v)

blank

Blue / Brown (control)

Blue / Black (control)

blank

blank

blank

blank

White / Black (0v, ground)

The info I've put in brackets is what I've established to be correct on mine (3dr 1994) although it doesn't really match what's in haynes manual.

I've connected to the 2 control leads, if you touch 0v on them that should lock and unlock the doors. I think the secondary colours are right, but it's a bit hard to tell sometimes.

Have fun !!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links