Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Avensis T180 Performance

moose212

Just thought this may be of interest to some of you. I have posted recently trying to decide whether a panel filter may helpl in he performance of my 57 plate T180. I am in a fortunate position to have a very good company car scheme so I booked my car in to my local Toyota dealer with the comments of pinking/knocking under load, sluggish acceleration and poor performance. After a test drive the service manager agreed that it was not performing as it should! He commented that it could be the beginings of injector rattle ( answers on a postcard)? Or more sinister a top end problem. Cut a long story short the injectors are in tolerance and Toyotas offical stance on this is that performance diesel is required to get the most out of the car. Between Toyota and the company who look after my car scheme I have been told to run a couple of tanks of performance diesel through and if I do not see any difference to return the car for further investigation . I must point out at htis point Toyota wanted to keep the car for a week and give it a good going over with talk of replacing the injectors and re-mapping the ecu. Unfortunatley the company who look after my car would not authorise this and insist on me trying the performance diesel. Reading between the lines and through chatting to the Toyota guys I think they may be aware of an issue with the Avensis T180 post dpf and are reluctant to admit to anything. I will keep you updated if anyone is interested.

Reading between the lines and through chatting to the Toyota guys I think they may be aware of an issue with the Avensis T180 post dpf and are reluctant to admit to anything. I will keep you updated if anyone is interested.

Hope you sort it

No company will admit to anything unless proven - however if its a 10k avensis then yes, like the lexus IS220d, they did have injector / dpf / mapping problems that we fixed on a customer complaint basis.

They replaced the injectors the ecu had a remap and i believe part of the dpf system was replaced. People who have had this done report a different car.

Try a search here or have a look on lexus owners club - i'm sure typing in DPF t180 or dpf is220d will bring up something

Reading between the lines and through chatting to the Toyota guys I think they may be aware of an issue with the Avensis T180 post dpf and are reluctant to admit to anything. I will keep you updated if anyone is interested.

Hope you sort it

No company will admit to anything unless proven - however if its a 10k avensis then yes, like the lexus IS220d, they did have injector / dpf / mapping problems that we fixed on a customer complaint basis.

They replaced the injectors the ecu had a remap and i believe part of the dpf system was replaced. People who have had this done report a different car.

Try a search here or have a look on lexus owners club - i'm sure typing in DPF t180 or dpf is220d will bring up something

Funnily enough it has just covered over 10k thats very interesting! I just need to run a couple oof tanks of fuel through and then take it back and hopefully that is what Toyota will do. In all fairness they pretty much said that is what they would have done this time but my scheme company are making me jump through a few hoops first lol

Hope you sort it

Funnily enough it has just covered over 10k thats very interesting! I just need to run a couple oof tanks of fuel through and then take it back and hopefully that is what Toyota will do. In all fairness they pretty much said that is what they would have done this time but my scheme company are making me jump through a few hoops first lol

I knew yours had done 10k from a previous post - so afraid not a coincidence like you may have thought.

But still valid - Apparently Lexus and possibly/probably toyota only started shipping t180's with different injectors and / dpf parts / ecu mappings in the early part of this year. So any car made before then or the lead time of the avensis will have the older parts. So i'm assuming your 10k car hasn't manage to clock them up since march sort of time.

However i really need someone to back this up - i read the lexus guys had these problems and that lexus shipped all new is220d's with the upgraded bits as of about march time this year. I'm sure as a company toyota did too but i can't remember reading much here on the forums.

Hello Mr Toyota, sorry Oldsko!!!

Where do you get your info from?????????????????????????????????

A friend who works at Lexus says that there's been a big problem with injectors etc, but now sorted.

He says there will be a full recall, on the quiet I suspect.

Ian

A friend who works at Lexus says that there's been a big problem with injectors etc, but now sorted.

He says there will be a full recall, on the quiet I suspect.

Ian

Ian

Mine has had a full set of new injectors, new EGR and ECU map update, result, no difference!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Weird,

If I was you I would borrow another one from somewhere, and get some performance comparisions eg speed reached over a measured distance.

Apart from that, I don't know what to say.

Come and drive my T180!!

Ian

Weird,

If I was you I would borrow another one from somewhere, and get some performance comparisions eg speed reached over a measured distance.

Apart from that, I don't know what to say.

Come and drive my T180!!

Ian

Already done Ian, I had the use of an identical car supplied by Toyota to run side by side for two weeks, it was exactly the same. Unfortunetly, 15% below average fuel consumption and at best, equivelent to 150HP performance is the "T180" end of story. Reason... DPF DPF DPF!!!!!!!!! at least Toyota's version of it, as a A4 2.7 TDi I used last week averaged 43, nearly 2 more than claimed combined and better than my T180!!!!

I took my t180 avensis in for its second service last week, when i phoned to book it in i told them that i was getting a pinging type noise under load and sometimes it would hunt for revs once started from cold. It would surge from 800rpm to over 2000rpm then down to 400rpm and stall, Re-start it and it run fine. It only does this 3 maybe 4 times a month tho, so chances of it doin it at the dealership is slim. Anyway they said the first thing they would do is change the injectors has its a common problem, i got a call today to say the injectors had been sent away and failed there test so toyota are going to be sending out a new set of injectors and i should get the car back by the end of the week. So fingers crossed i wont get that flat spot and annoying rattle from 1500-2000rpm, and i#m hoping its sorted out the erratic tick over i sometime get from cold.

Perhaps your right on the fuel thing, Bry, went past a BMW place today and the 118d does 62.4 combined and only £35 tax. Thats the same as the Aygo!! so they seem to be alot better with fuel comsumption and co2.

In autocar, the Lexus IS220d has a test figure of only 16 mpg!! and a touring of 50 mpg, and similar weight also so there's a big difference there.

An Audi (A6 Allroad) 2.7 TDI did 31/37 and weighs 1875kg so its heavier, but similar performace, but a lovely engine (my brother in law had one).

Even though thats true, my T180 does more to the gallon than my mum in laws Auris 1.6, weighs more and is faster, so I can live with the fuel consumption to be honest.

I do like my car though, and its mighty on the motorway and through the gears, so I can only sympathise with your frustration. I'd swap it for something else if you hate it that much.

Ian

I took my t180 avensis in for its second service last week, when i phoned to book it in i told them that i was getting a pinging type noise under load and sometimes it would hunt for revs once started from cold. It would surge from 800rpm to over 2000rpm then down to 400rpm and stall, Re-start it and it run fine. It only does this 3 maybe 4 times a month tho, so chances of it doin it at the dealership is slim. Anyway they said the first thing they would do is change the injectors has its a common problem, i got a call today to say the injectors had been sent away and failed there test so toyota are going to be sending out a new set of injectors and i should get the car back by the end of the week. So fingers crossed i wont get that flat spot and annoying rattle from 1500-2000rpm, and i#m hoping its sorted out the erratic tick over i sometime get from cold.

Steve,

Thats the classic sticky injector problem which i had on cold winter morinings when mine was new, new injectors sorts it, but don't expect any other dramatic improvements. Funny cos that was the procedure with mine ie removed the old ones and sent them away before they would authorise new, pathetic really.

May be of help? Has anybody on forum access to AUTODATA CD3 ( latest version ) has all the latest TSB's from car companies which can be downloaded to your laptop come code reader. I have access to CD2 very helpful but not quite in the same league as CD3.

Reason being, all you 2.2 D4D or T160 owners with fuel consumption come injector problems maybe be able to gain a little more info before tackling MR.T, just a thought, may come to nothing. Work for another company & we are well aware of problem with engine problem on Avensis. Or not so much a problem , more a problem created by some Toyota dealers who deny problem when they clearly know of problem & can be fixed quite easily if they want to.

What i don't understand is if car is under warranty, any warranty work carried out properly with all the required diagnostic logs supplied will result in dealer receiving money back? So why so much trouble with this problem?

May be of help? Has anybody on forum access to AUTODATA CD3 ( latest version ) has all the latest TSB's from car companies which can be downloaded to your laptop come code reader. I have access to CD2 very helpful but not quite in the same league as CD3.

Reason being, all you 2.2 D4D or T160 owners with fuel consumption come injector problems maybe be able to gain a little more info before tackling MR.T, just a thought, may come to nothing. Work for another company & we are well aware of problem with engine problem on Avensis. Or not so much a problem , more a problem created by some Toyota dealers who deny problem when they clearly know of problem & can be fixed quite easily if they want to.

What i don't understand is if car is under warranty, any warranty work carried out properly with all the required diagnostic logs supplied will result in dealer receiving money back? So why so much trouble with this problem?

Any idea what the solution to the problem or the actual problem is?

Yes. As quoted endlessly on this forum, renewal of injectors & in a lot of cases also renewal of engine ECM. With parts renewed each injector has to be programmed via Toyota software via code on injector to recognise ECM to allow for calibration of fuelling etc etc.

My point was more along the lines of warranty work, if Toyota carry out work correctly which includes all required paperwork relating to problem being absolutely spot on they get the money back. Small profit in new car ( not as small as they would have you think ) sales, but big big profit in servicing & repairs ie: parts make money. It's drummed in to us at endless meetings, get the paperwork right everytime & warranty claims will not be rejected.

Thats the bit I don't understand ?

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links