Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Rav4 Lpg

LUIGI_

There are a few around but mostly RAV 4.1s I think.

I looked into this for my 2005 RAV and found out that due to the VVT-i engine, you need to add additives to cope with the soft valves (or something like that) which is a bit off-putting just for the extra complexity (no longer a 'fuel and forget' solution :rolleyes: )

Also the favourite place for the LPG tank is to have a doughnut tank put where the spare wheel would go (and the driver carries a get-you-home gunk can instead. That would not work with the RAV, of course and sticking a tank in the boot would be a pain basically.

There are a couple of converters that replace the original petrol tank with a split-fuel tank - sort of 25% petrol/75% LPG or something like that.

For higher mileage drivers, I reckon it is still worthwhile even with those extra issues to deal with.

Canna remember who it is that frequently posts here an has lpg.

I use lpg with the trafic minibus, but the 2.2 petrol engine suffers from soft valves and needs its valves and valve seats changed to harder ones....as lpg causes the engine to burn hotter; and also means the inlet manifold is cold - leading to head gasket renewal every so often.

Some engines are ok with lpg and others not.

As for the tank, it/they can be fitted behind the sills as one option. And if you run out of gas, you can always f*#t into the tank! Some ebayers purchase gas pumps to pump propane from a garden tank used for central heating boilers - for which you buy propane at less than 10p a litre! Good wheez eh? Don't think the govt have sorted out how you put dye into propane!!! :thumbsup:

I use lpg with the trafic minibus, but the 2.2 petrol engine suffers from soft valves and needs its valves and valve seats changed to harder ones....as lpg causes the engine to burn hotter; and also means the inlet manifold is cold - leading to head gasket renewal every so often.

As for the tank, it/they can be fitted behind the sills as one option. And if you run out of gas, you can always f*#t into the tank! Some ebayers purchase gas pumps to pump propane from a garden tank used for central heating boilers - for which you buy propane at less than 10p a litre! Good wheez eh? Don't think the govt have sorted out how you put dye into propane!!! :thumbsup:

Would my 98 engine be ok with LPG?

Would my 98 engine be ok with LPG?

Don't see why not. You can get it installed by a registered installer or do it yourself - but you'll need a certificate that its been done ok for insurance purpose. Try contacting some local lpg installers and ask them if they have experience of the RAV.

• 1 month later...

Hello,

I'm new on this site but have a RAV 4 2001. I converted it to LPG by a LPG dealer and since than it's great to drive. It's fitted with an extra cooler for the valves. I need to refill the cooler once every 15000 km. I've 50 liter !Removed! behind the rear seats but this is not a problem. some carpet and wood do a very good job. using a dognet so the higher luggage doesn't come in the front is a thing that you really need. THe are on eBay for about 25 euro's. Toyota has told me the can is absolutly not transferable to LPG but after 10000 km without any problem I disagree. Let a proffesional do the job and you are laughing.

Enjoy. I do 9 km on 1 liter LPG. Powerdip is not noticeable.