Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Buying A Secondhand Verso

Vanquish

Hi All

I'm looking at buying a toyota verso secondhand. Which engine variant should i get ie petrol or diesel? I have been reading about MIL lamp on and Catalyst failures. Why do you have to replace the catalyst and ECU at the same time? I'm so shocked to have read toyotas have issues as i thought the cars they made are bomb proof.

Looking forward to some response

Vanquish

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Just bought a verso gls 2.0 d4d. Not much help other than that as i just got it 3 weeks ago, but i could maybe answer some of your questions

Cheers,

Stephen

To Vanquish,

Depends what your using vehicle for, pretty much can only be defined as a people carrier. Engine wise Petrol will have a bit more pick up & go whilst Diesel can be a bit sluggish to some but has superior fuel consumption. It's no Race Horse either way. You read a lot on this forum about Cats, Lambda sensors & ECMs failing, this is not a major fault with Toyota vehicles as it would appear from postings, all modern vehicles suffer from the same problems.

Any TOP 10 car guide you read will be full of Japanese cars & the Avensis will allways be near the top in it's class in these surveys. Some people on here have awful trouble with above items & bad service from some dealers, but 90% of people I would say are very unlikely to fall foul of this problem. Toyota must be doing something right because an awful lot of people are driving them & they don't off load them when the warranty runs out they hang onto them because long term they no the car will serve them well. See what other people have to say, they may well have completely different view. If your buying over three years old model insist on new MOT cert.

I tend to 'trust' the honest.john.co.uk website for this views as well as the JD power survey ranking. Toyotas are generally seen as fairly bland but solid, and I have never met a toyota owner that wouldn't buy another one. (Apart from some on here - but one expects that, people only post when they have an issue. Or people bored senseless at work like me!!). I tend to do a bit of motorway driving (in a rented car) and often see other manufacturers broken down/towed etc, but never a Toyota. Just anecdotal of course :)

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links