Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Bad Vibration/knocking

gt4WRC

Over the last month or so, i have noticed a clunking/knocking noise from the front passenger wheel when turning slow or parking and turning the steering wheel, but when on a long journey home tonight, i was driving at 60mph max and just taking my time, when ever i took my foot off the gas i got a really strong knocking vibration from the passenger side wheel i think and vibrating towards the middle, hard to tell as i was driving, strange thing was though, that it only happened when my foot was off the gas!!

Any ideas?? front drive shaft, or could it be something to do with the 4wd drive shaft system??

That is my best way of describing it, any questions and ill answer them best i can.

control arm and fig 8 worn .

maybe the banana arm is worn if vibrating towards middle of car ?????

control arm and fig 8 worn .

maybe the banana arm is worn if vibrating towards middle of car ?????

Thanks gt4booster, (nice to see you back on the site)

The really bad vibes have got just now but i get a constant clicking/clunking noise when driving slow and braking, (because its putting different pressures on the wheel)

how soon do i need to get this repaired?

nothing will fall off will it?

And any idea of repair cost please, need to know how much cash to start saving!!

Thanks again

CONTROL ARM 1

Celica ST205 GT4 (93-99) Genuine Toyota

Celica ST202 Import super strut suspension

Front lower suspension arm come handed Right or Left

sub-frame to hub assembly

R .. 48605-29025 .. Price: £ 198.00 + £ 34.70 v.a.t each

L .. 48606-29025 .. Price: £ 198.00 + £ 34.70 v.a.t each

BANANA ARM - CONTROL ARM 2.

Celica ST202 Import super strut suspension

Front suspension tie rods comes handed Right or Left

sub-frame to hub assembly

R .. 48068-29195 .. Price: £ 149.11 + £ 26.09 v.a.t each

L .. 48069-29195 .. Price: £ 149.11 + £ 26.09 v.a.t each

Metal crush tubes for front suspension tie rods Genuine Toyota

part number: 90389-21003 Price: £ 5.00 + 87p v.a.t

FIGURE OF 8

Celica ST202 Import (93-99) Genuine Toyota

Front link super strut suspension figure of 8 link,

to lower suspension arm .. arm sub assembly camber

part number: 48066-20061

Price: £ 60.00 + £ 10.50 v.a.t each

Change the control arm 1 with fig 8 at the same time. its usually the small ball joints at the ends that meet the hub that knock , if these fail totally you will lose your steering , normally they knock louder and more rapid as they wear more and more.

Change the control arm 1 with fig 8 at the same time. its usually the small ball joints at the ends that meet the hub that knock , if these fail totally you will lose your steering , normally they knock louder and more rapid as they wear more and more.

Are you saying change only the front lower control arm and figure of eight?

What happens to these? Do they shear off or break under repetitive stress?

P.S where did you get those prices? TCB?

yes, these are the 2 main parts to fail.

ball joints wear away and can pop out .They can also knock at the point the control arm joins the fig 8 .

yes.

gtfour.supras.org.nz/superstrut.htm

www.gtfours.co.uk/pics/suspension/205/sus.htm

yes, these are the 2 main parts to fail.

ball joints wear away and can pop out .They can also knock at the point the control arm joins the fig 8 .

yes.

gtfour.supras.org.nz/superstrut.htm

www.gtfours.co.uk/pics/suspension/205/sus.htm

You are very precise and to the point!! ;)

Thanks for the good advise and help GT4BOOSTER as usual!!

Just one more question, will both sides need to done at the same time? i ask this because only the passenger side is knocking/clunking at the moment

no just do that side , which is the easier side to do by the way .

some say that because of roundabouts on uk roads we go clockwise more and exert more forces onto the drivers side of the suspension ( bit sceptical myself on this ). it may well be that the drivers side has been changed - who knows.

no just do that side , which is the easier side to do by the way .

some say that because of roundabouts on uk roads we go clockwise more and exert more forces onto the drivers side of the suspension ( bit sceptical myself on this ). it may well be that the drivers side has been changed - who knows.

Thanks mate, it is a good theory (roundabouts) also the left side of the road is a bit more bumpy because when lorries drive close to the edge, they tend to collapse the left side as it has no resistance, just a soft verge of grass usually, A-roads that is!!

Another excellent theory!! B)

Just taken the celica to my mechanic, and he has found that the inner near-side C.V joint is knackered, and i watched him look for play in the figure of 8 and lower control arm but they seemed fine!!

Is there any tell-tale sign of the fig8, control arm being worn out? So we can get to the bottom of the problem!!

I also cant find anywhere to buy an inner cv joint? Any ideas?

Plus will i have to buy the whole driveshaft instead?

the cv joint may well be your knocking but maybe not as the super strut parts do knock when standing still turning the wheel. due the make up of these suspension parts they pass even the mot\ test as wear is very hard to detect .

call a dealer and price a cv joint though i think toyota only sell full drive shafts at about £350 a throw. failing that pop over to the gt4 owners web site and ask the gurus on there . or locate a shaft from a scrap yard.

due the make up of these suspension parts they pass even the mot\ test as wear is very hard to detect .

or locate a shaft from a scrap yard.

Yeah that was what the mechanic was saying this evening, that it would pass mot without being detected, its mostly while driving slow i can hear it.

As regards cv joint, found someone selling a n/s drive-shaft with both cv joints, thing is though it has impulse ring for abs gt4, will it make a difference as mine has no abs?

count the splines on the shaft , if the same number i dont see it being a problem .

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links