Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Hi Everyone - Advice Needed Please!

mk1ben

Hello everyone, im ben, i currently have a mk1 golf gti which is costing me a fortune to run. Im ready to sort my life out and get a nice reliable sensible car. However im torn between an aygo and a yaris 1.4 d4d. I am covering 150 miles a week to work on dual carriage-ways and country lanes so im unsure which is better suited. Also im able to get them on my fathers company car scheme which is a bonus, an aygo platinum is £52 a month or £95 for the yaris diesel. any help or advice would be greatly received.

The Aygo is built for country lanes in my opinion and you'd have more fun, but the Yaris has more kit and is certainly the better car. I imagine coming from a Mk1 Golf, you're used to pretty spubik levels of equipment so it's really down to whether the extra £50 a month is worth it :)

The Aygo is built for country lanes in my opinion and you'd have more fun, but the Yaris has more kit and is certainly the better car. I imagine coming from a Mk1 Golf, you're used to pretty spubik levels of equipment so it's really down to whether the extra £50 a month is worth it :)

I think an aygo would be more fun, and if i get a black one i will be putting my mk1 wheels on it :D

photoshop.jpg

Also another quickie, why cant i find aygo diesels on toyotas website, i thought they where selling them now?

Also another quickie, why cant i find aygo diesels on toyotas website, i thought they where selling them now?

Hi There.

Some were sold but various motoring programmes

explained you needed to cover about 250000 miles before it made sense.

Also, a straight economy run round the M25 to show how fantastic the Diesel AYGO

was...... It was followed by a backup car, an AYGO petrol which was more economical.

Very few people bought them so I believe it has been dropped as an option.

Ian.

I think an aygo would be more fun, and if i get a black one i will be putting my mk1 wheels on it :D

photoshop.jpg

No it was discontinued in the words of my dealer it was 5hite!

As it was an old designed enginem, too clunky and not enough power for its size.

His words not mine

ok thanks guys, i am leaning toward the aygo as the mpg figures arent that different to the yaris d4d. plus as you say my mileage wouldn't be sufficient. My dad also mentioned a prius is also available but that is £110 a month as appose to £52. and they are an aquired taste in the design department

Yes it was/is on the Parkers site. You would have to do 250,000 mile in a diesel Aygo before you recouped any money from buying the petrol alternative :lol:

Hi Ben,

My commute is 40 miles each way and really the Aygo has no trouble with it at all - the combination of fuel economy, insurance, tax and general running costs are also saving me a fortune. I was torn between the Yaris diesel and the Aygo at the time too, and I have no regrets at all at having gone for the Aygo.

Batfink x

Hi Ben,

My commute is 40 miles each way and really the Aygo has no trouble with it at all - the combination of fuel economy, insurance, tax and general running costs are also saving me a fortune. I was torn between the Yaris diesel and the Aygo at the time too, and I have no regrets at all at having gone for the Aygo.

Batfink x

thanks for that batfink

Ive driven both the Yaris 1.4 D4D and a Auris 1.4 Diesel as courtesy cars and I have to say compared to my Aygo they are no where near as fun. You can feel they both have that bit more quality (especially the auris) but imo the Aygo is by far the better car especially considering the mpg.

Have to agree with the above, great little cars and 56mpg on my 1st 500 miles so need for diesel, unless a new hi-tech one fitted, but have to say. LOVELY looking mk1 golf. yours ?

You'll have to get used to the engine, it sounds great but it does only have 67bhp or so. On the other hand the engine is so light that if you stick 195/45 195/40 or 205/40 tyres on it then the cornering rate is fantastic before understeer sets in, at least in the dry.

Regards

Andy

Yes put those wheels on it now.

And spar5e has the word ar5e in it thats why it wouldn't show.

thanks for the replies guys. yes the mk1 is mine, i think im gonna keep it and carry out a mild restoration on it. i havent got the heart to get rid of it, i love it too much. Plus there arent many nice examples left. Just gotta decide between a platimum or carbon quartz, must say im loving the carbons dark grey plus i dont want air con to affect my mpg figures.

Yes it was/is on the Parkers site. You would have to do 250,000 mile in a diesel Aygo before you recouped any money from buying the petrol alternative :lol:

Thats taking the mpg to be 61ish for the petrol and 68ish for the diesel. In real world driving you're looking at anything between 45-55mpg for the petrol and 60-90mpg for the diesel. Take their worst expected respective mpg and you'll save 250 litres of fuel per year (based on 10k annual mileage). So it could pay for itself in about 40,000 miles instead of 250,000 miles

Take into account that the Diesel Aygo has over 30% more torque than the petrol version (available at a very low 1750 rpm), so you will feel ike you're being pushed back into your seat more often than not.

So the question is really, are you willing to spend £1000 to drive however you want, still get great fuel economy, spend less in servicing costs (no spark plugs, oil change every 20,000 miles) and fill up once a month?

Thats taking the mpg to be 61ish for the petrol and 68ish for the diesel. In real world driving you're looking at anything between 45-55mpg for the petrol and 60-90mpg for the diesel. Take their worst expected respective mpg and you'll save 250 litres of fuel per year (based on 10k annual mileage). So it could pay for itself in about 40,000 miles instead of 250,000 miles

Take into account that the Diesel Aygo has over 30% more torque than the petrol version (available at a very low 1750 rpm), so you will feel ike you're being pushed back into your seat more often than not.

So the question is really, are you willing to spend £1000 to drive however you want, still get great fuel economy, spend less in servicing costs (no spark plugs, oil change every 20,000 miles) and fill up once a month?

thanks for the diesel update, the question has already been answered for me unfortunately. As im having it through my dads company car scheme, only brand new aygos are available and as im now aware, toyota dont build the diesel aygo anymore so its petrol all the way. The torque would have been nice but oh well. My golf is doing 220 miles on £40 currently so im sure i will still see a significant cost saving, plus i get free servicing, tax and insurance aswell :D

thanks for the diesel update, the question has already been answered for me unfortunately. As im having it through my dads company car scheme, only brand new aygos are available and as im now aware, toyota dont build the diesel aygo anymore so its petrol all the way. The torque would have been nice but oh well. My golf is doing 220 miles on £40 currently so im sure i will still see a significant cost saving, plus i get free servicing, tax and insurance aswell :D

Citroen C1 hdi is (essentially) the same car as the diesel Aygo

Citroen C1 hdi is (essentially) the same car as the diesel Aygo

i would find it difficult to look a c1 in the face every morning :P , plus my dad is a toyota employee so the scheme only applies to their cars. Thanks anyway

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links