Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Spare Wheel Carrier

super white

hi all first post ! i was wondering if anyone knows if their are any spare wheel holders for the new rav4 d 4d 2.2 xtr 2007 modle available! dont like the thought of going "off piste" without spare lol :(

Try the german firm Cobra, if I recall correctly, they did have rather a snazzy one in chrome and black. Good luck in your search

hi all first post ! i was wondering if anyone knows if their are any spare wheel holders for the new rav4 d 4d 2.2 xtr 2007 modle available! dont like the thought of going "off piste" without spare lol :(

cheers raver will do really appreciate the advice !

dave m. on here has made up a mod to carry his inside.

What about attaching it to the passenger door as they did in decades gone by?? It would be different!

Bought an aftermarket alloy and tyre from formula4X4 (now bust) for about £180. Had it sitting flat in boot at first, but when going holidays,

I decided to have it sitting vertically between rear seat backs and cross bar for boot cover. I then bought luggage to suit the space I had left

and it all fitted perfectly. Remember, you MUST tether it, see photo -

100_0677.jpg

What about attaching it to the passenger door as they did in decades gone by?? It would be different!

They could even go for a mounting on the boot !!

p6_07.jpg

:D

This interested me (yes, I am a saddo), so I looked some Aussie options - they are good/clever/robust, but not cheap! Thinking outside the box (a good management trait!) is there any chance that a towbar mounted bike carrier could be adapted? I don't know what a wheel and tyre weigh, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's less than the weight of the (up to) three bikes I've seen carried on a towbar mounted bike carrier.

The other idea that occurs to me is some form of a space saver. Is it possible to get a space saver with the correct dimensions (pcd and offset etc) which would, at least, be some help as a "get you home", rather than resort to the (admittedly practical) solution dave.m has devised??

Just a few random thoughts as I wait for the joint to roast..... :chef:

Roast Beef? Mmmmm

Oddly enough, Robert, I was thinking along same lines (about the Wheel, not the Roast) and tried Googling for it earlier, but hits were all about cycle carriers :( - I bet there is something out there.

Re Spacesaver - one of the members (not sure which) bought a Honda spacesaver for his RAV without a spare - prob from a CR-V?.

I had one on my HR-V and it must have been less then 1/2 the thickness (I was not comfortable driving it very far when I had to use it, though - felt worse then the flat!)

Here is a starting point ... FORMULA OFFROAD SPARE WHEEL CARRIERS

And if you join this forum, you can see pics of one someone made for a towbar (I think - I am not a member)

cheers guys been a member here for 24hrs now and already payin dividends thanx so much for all your suggestions will be following up on these ! :thumbsup:

Hoovie....where's the cat!! :eek:

My lad loved that cat!! :lol::lol::lol:

With GT4 Booster posting in the RAV4 Forum a bit now, It was getting a bit confusing :( ,

Only room for one cosmic cat and I guess GT4s CC was in TOC first :huh:

He may return ;)

Hoovie....where's the cat!! :eek:

My lad loved that cat!! :lol::lol::lol:

With GT4 Booster posting in the RAV4 Forum a bit now, It was getting a bit confusing :( ,

Only room for one cosmic cat and I guess GT4s CC was in TOC first :huh:

He may return ;)

You know I never noticed! Must pay more attention! :hammer::lol::lol::lol:

You may have thought his posting about timing belts was me then :) wouldn't mind that - don't understand the mechanical bits so it would make me look clever :thumbsup:

Roast Beef? Mmmmm

Oddly enough, Robert, I was thinking along same lines (about the Wheel, not the Roast) and tried Googling for it earlier, but hits were all about cycle carriers :( - I bet there is something out there.

Re Spacesaver - one of the members (not sure which) bought a Honda spacesaver for his RAV without a spare - prob from a CR-V?.

I had one on my HR-V and it must have been less then 1/2 the thickness (I was not comfortable driving it very far when I had to use it, though - felt worse then the flat!)

It was ME £179.00 wheel and tyre

Dave, your solution is great. I was thinking a lot of the best solution and this is what i came up with.

Advantages: completly covered by the tunneau cover, fits just well in the first compartiment, anchored in the steel rings by the straps(the plastic ones look kind of shallow), doesn't block the rear view, stays close to the backdoor, so it should not be any noise, you can still move the back seats, or even fold them down, allowing you to carry long things.

The disadvantage: the loading it's a little bit tricky, but not impossible, even for larger objects.

DSC00016.jpg

DSC00017.jpg

DSC00018.jpg

Hi Nest, good to see we are all getting our thinking caps on for a spare wheel solution. Good idea :thumbsup:

Trouble for me is that I have to get my mother in laws wheelchair in the back without too much hassle. :huh:

That big space under the floor frustrates me, I'm sure Toyota could have utilised it better to try and get a spare in.

One thing that did come to me reading this thread again, I remember back in my Land Rover days :blush::blush:

reading some of the magazines which had adverts from companies making swing away spare wheel holders. They

were attached to the outside of the rear door. Hinged at the door opening side. This means you had to swing the

carrier out first then open the door. I'm sure some Mercs and Vauxhalls used them.

The original Sportage had that kind of thing as OE and the magazine reviews used to slate it as being awkward.

I guess the ideal would be a replacement rear door skin.

Maybe someone should ask Kingo to suss out the price for the required parts? it could be cheaper then trying to source a special

Why not carry the spare in a shopping trolley strapped onto the rear??? It could carry the shopping as well! Just need go faster castors :yahoo:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links