Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

New 140 Help

jazz1

heya i am new to this forum and am waiting to pick up a 2000 celicaVVTi 140, but through flicking through the site i have seen alot about oil problems and was wandering what models it affects, any help is much apriciated, :D

Yours may be affected, it was the pre-facelift 140s that had the problem.

I'd say pre 2002 models. I have a 2002 pre face lift without the oil problem.

cheers fellas well i went to the toyota garage and they just said in the celica it isnt very common and as long as it has been serviced regularly it should be okay. it has only done 45000 aswell

thnx for the help.

lol dont beleive what they say. You can see its common enough just be looking at this forum. It usually happens to the car when its done more miles than that , id done 58 thousand when it happened to me. The only thing you can do is check your oil regularily and youl know its drinking excessively.

I may be wrong here but i beleive it was a problem with the pistons on the pre-facelift.

My previous Celica (2001 140 VVT-i) had done 78,000 miles when I got rid of it. I'd had it for only three months.

A couple of years before I'd bought it, at 55,000 miles, it'd had the engine totally replaced. Presumably due to the oil problem.

When I had it, the replacement engine suffered from the oil problem too.

heya i am new to this forum and am waiting to pick up a 2000 celicaVVTi 140, but through flicking through the site i have seen alot about oil problems and was wandering what models it affects, any help is much apriciated, :D

Mine has just committed suicide (@97000 miles), also a 2000 140bhp car. Warranty has long since expired, so I'm carrying the can for it. Get to know your dipstick!

Mine has just committed suicide (@97000 miles), also a 2000 140bhp car. Warranty has long since expired, so I'm carrying the can for it. Get to know your dipstick!

heya mine has done 45000 and i went to the toyota garrage and asked about the problem, and they said the only way to check the problem is to check the oil levels and then again after 12000, also they said it was due to a carbon build up in the pistons and oil treatments and cleaners can help to prevent the problem. do you no of any other signs and did yours just seize or what exactly happend. sorry about all the questions i dont rele no much about the problem. cheers for your help.

jaz

The problem is the excess consumption of oil. Do NOT wait 12000 miles till you next check the oil, it could be a major problem by then. You will want to check the oil every few days to monitor how much oil it is using, mine is a 2001 pre-facelift, with nearly 80k on the clock and doesn't excessivly use oil so you may too be lucky. That said, if it is using excess oil, whose to say the previous owner had not run it on low oil? If you find its consuming excess oil you may want to take this up with Toyota and let them know your not satisfied that the engine hasn't been run on low oil previously, just a thought.

That said, you have just bought a lovely car that will serve you well and looks great, look after her and she will last a loooonnnggg time :)

BFM

+1

Frequent oil checks should be done on any car, but particularly on the early 1.8VVTi engines. Keep a close eye on it and measure how much it uses over a period of time. Do not overfill it though.

Have you got a FSH with it jazz1; if you have then make sure you keep it up and then you'll have a chance that Mr T will accept the cost in the event of future problems. Though presumably there's a point where they'll stop doing this for cars over a certain age.

Hi all, sorry to hijack here but i have just acquired a 2000 W Reg 140 with 56500 on the clock, and i think it may be using excess oil....other than checking at regular intervals (im doing it every weekend) and topping it up, is there anything else i can do? Will keeping it topped up be enough for the engine not to die? what oil do you recommend i top up with? many thanks

when i 1st got my 140 i drove it home and the next day did all the checks and found the oil was low. so topped it up thought nothing off it. week later it was empty agen i thought huh wtf. then i found this website and found out about the problem so i had an oil and filter change and invested in 10 liters of 10w40 oil the oil laster about 4 months 8000 miles roughly. so this time i thought id try 5w30 and ive done trips to london about 350 miles and used next to no oil where as before it would use all the oil up. so i would recommend 5w30 thinner but seems to do the trick. (it still does burn thou just much slower)

when i 1st got my 140 i drove it home and the next day did all the checks and found the oil was low. so topped it up thought nothing off it. week later it was empty agen i thought huh wtf. then i found this website and found out about the problem so i had an oil and filter change and invested in 10 liters of 10w40 oil the oil laster about 4 months 8000 miles roughly. so this time i thought id try 5w30 and ive done trips to london about 350 miles and used next to no oil where as before it would use all the oil up. so i would recommend 5w30 thinner but seems to do the trick. (it still does burn thou just much slower)

Thanks for the tip there mate...does it matter if it is partly/fully synthetic oil? do you recommend any brands?

think you have to use part synthetic anyway correct me if im wrong somebody. i just put 5w30 in on eBay and brought the first lot mine jaguar high efficency engine oil. as i say seems to be doing the trick for my car at the moment

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links