Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

T180 Reversing Camera

ratchet2112

Personally, I believe I am a good driver (doesn't everyone think they are :D) and a damn fine reverser, but the RAV4 is possibly one of the most awkward cars to reverse park I have ever had, especially when the car behind is front on.

So a Reversing camera would be a very handy attribute to have (and if I have a car that was prewired to accept one - it would be fitted right now!!)

Hi Hoovie, agree with you, my 4.2 Rav and my current T180 have been the hardest cars to reverse park as you say, even my fiance's Freelander is easier.

Dave M fitted a reversing camera to his 4.3, it was wireless + seem to remember only about £50 from costco,, :thumbsup: Hoovie can't see a bit of wiring stopping you from fitting one..Raver T180, are you sure you want to marry a girl with a nedflander? IMO these mixed marriages never work :unsure:

if you insist on going ahead with this, you will need to get a special dispensation, from Mr T. you will also have to agree that any offspring will have to become members of TOC from birth, and you will have to buy them an Aygo on reaching 17 yrs of age.. :yes::yes:

Hi Local Hero, propagating days are over :( Mea culpa, was a toss up between 2nd hand Rav4.2, Skyline and Freelander. Should have gone for the Skyline, give me something to work on in my dotage. Trying to out the Freelander after the b****y engine blew up on M25 earlier this year. After the RFT scenario, cannot bring myself to buy another new Toyota, simply cos the buggas turned me over royally for £356 for a new tyre!! So probably look for Peugot or something of the like (she won't hear of a nissan micra :D ) and I can't afford a GTR

Quite simply, this topic on the forum has raised my interest in this subject again, especially when, for example, I am trying to safely retrieve £10k's worth of jetski, when time is of the essence in rough surf, and I need to see how near the tow-bar is to the trailer hitch, which is virtually impossible without guidance from a third party.

RaverT180 aka John (also)

John, going slightly off-topic, have you come across the front-mounted towbar designed for this very purpose? I read about it a few years ago (Pre Rav4.3 launch) and the pics in the article in the mag (4x4 Magazine I think) actually feature a RAV4 with it fitted.

Looked a great idea and the cost of it would be a lot less then a cracked rear bumper on a mis-reverse!

Quoted cost is £164 inc VAT for the RAV4.3 - not sure if that includes fitting or not. I think I read Fitting takes about an hour, and of course there are no electrics needed :thumbsup:

The company is in St Albans and is very professional.

Website: http://www.watling-towbars.co.uk/launching_boats.html

"Reversing is a pain in the neck!! A Watling Front Towbar is ideal for launching boats on any slipway"

A few pics .....

frontlaunch2.jpg

frontlaunch3.jpg frontlaunch6.jpg

sm_front_towbars_Passat1.jpgsm_front_towbars_Passat2.jpg

Quite simply, this topic on the forum has raised my interest in this subject again, especially when, for example, I am trying to safely retrieve £10k's worth of jetski, when time is of the essence in rough surf, and I need to see how near the tow-bar is to the trailer hitch, which is virtually impossible without guidance from a third party.

John, going slightly off-topic, have you come across the front-mounted towbar designed for this very purpose? I read about it a few years ago (Pre Rav4.3 launch) and the pics in the article in the mag (4x4 Magazine I think) actually feature a RAV4 with it fitted.

Looked a great idea and the cost of it would be a lot less then a cracked rear bumper on a mis-reverse!

Quoted cost is £164 inc VAT for the RAV4.3 - not sure if that includes fitting or not. I think I read Fitting takes about an hour, and of course there are no electrics needed :thumbsup:

"Reversing is a pain in the neck!! A Watling Front Towbar is ideal for launching boats on any slipway"

A few pics .....

frontlaunch2.jpg

Hey fellas! - if you have front and rear towbars you don't need a reversing camera. You can adopt the Continental / US method of touch parking. Just warn me before you come to Yorkshire. :P

Best regards

Chris

Any one wanting a reversing camera on a Rav, ought to be questioning their ability to drive. !!!!!

Oh really, hows the weather up there on that ivory tower you sit on ?

Sorry Dave, Johns right my wife was able to get our 4.1 in the tightest of places without a camera.. :yes::yes:

Untitled-5.jpg

Any one wanting a reversing camera on a Rav, ought to be questioning their ability to drive. !!!!!

Oh really, hows the weather up there on that ivory tower you sit on ?

Sorry Dave, Johns right my wife was able to get our 4.1 in the tightest of places without a camera.. :yes::yes:

Untitled-5.jpg

:eek::eek::eek: FFS Stewart, think you need to tell us more :thumbsup:

On the upside, thats at least 100 bonus points for destroying what looks like a sh^t rover 2 something or other :thumbsup:

On the upside, thats at least 100 bonus points for destroying what looks like a sh^t rover 2 something or other :thumbsup:

TBH iwas looking for some odd ravs to put on Hoovies excellent pimp competition. and came across it on photo bucket, my guess is, it is in a scrap yard, cant see any other explanation, although i have seen some pretty unexplainable RTA's.. :thumbsup:

TBH iwas looking for some odd ravs to put on Hoovies excellent pimp competition. and came across it on photo bucket, my guess is, it is in a scrap yard, cant see any other explanation, although i have seen some pretty unexplainable RTA's.. :thumbsup:

Further to my guess that this was a scrapyard, it certainly wasn't..it wasn't a 4/1 either

Untitled-1-1.jpg

Further to my guess that this was a scrapyard, it certainly wasn't..it wasn't a 4/1 either

Untitled-1-1.jpg

Teach em to park the rover in a RAV's parking bay :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

"Lets Off Road"

RAV looks in good nick as well...Hope it was alright

Pity its not leaning the other way, that would have been perfect for changing the transmission and rear axle oil.

Pity its not leaning the other way, that would have been perfect for changing the transmission and rear axle oil.

I can picture the scene now ....

Anchorman is walking down the road and sees the RAV4 humping the Rover.......

Whips out his 14mm extendable rachet and shouts out "While you're up there ......" :lol:

• 1 month later...

A few pics .....

frontlaunch2.jpg

Hi Hoovie, just picked up on this thread. Yeah, appreciate further correspondence on this subject, but the only time I've seen a rav fitted with front tow bar was last year, where I jetski at Mersea Island, one of the guys there had a 4.2 rav with front towbar fitted, ironically, he had a rib as per featured in your photos, got close up of the attachment when helped coastguards retrieve him after outboard on rib broke down, luckily got brownie points that day, cause initially thought they were going to do me for exceeding the 8 knot inshore limit !!! lol. Think front towbar good idea, but for me anyway, spoils the asthetics of the car and would rather go for the camera if available.

Best regards

John

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links