Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Urgent: Please Excuse My Ignorance Air/fuel Mixture

JZee

Hi All

I've not been around here much but I'm doing up a Celica GT 1995. I'm almost done with the basics and the MOT is on Monday. I've a panic attack now coz I smell fuel coming out from the exhaust! I spent at least a 1000 quid on it and don't want it to fail the MOT for such a stupid reason!

It seems that it's a rich mixture, could anyone please advise me of how to adjust the mixture? or the ECU? I've seen here that removing the Battery on GT4 will reset the ECU and it will take few runs to learn the right mixture. is that true for GT? also what about error codes for GT?

What I've done that might be related to the problem: new genuine exhaust, a new genuine lambda sensor, changed oil and all genuine toyota filters!

also:

- where Can I find the fuel filter? rolled under the car yesterday near the fuel tank and couldn't find it! but it was dark anyway hehe..

- what's the right tool for the spark plugs as my standard tool does not seem to go in there....the sparks are fitted quite deep in the head and the holes are very tiny for my tool to fit in!!! any idea?

thanks in advance

hello mate,

Not too sure about the rest, but the spark plugs are of a smaller type than is used on most cars (though they are the same as alot of 'bikes)

They will require a 16mm spark plug socket and say a 10" extension bar and ratchet to remove them.

An old trick to gain efficiency when fitting new plugs is to mark on the side of each plug where the electrode gap is facing, then when fitting the plug align this as close to facing the inlet side of your engine as possible whilst making sure the plug is tight enough.

This way the spark isn't shielded from the mixture entering the cylinder and a cleaner burn is achieved.

The results aren't quite so noticable in a car, but i've been racing gp250's for a few years now, fickle things that they are and you can feel the difference.

Some may argue about achieving correct and uniform torques across the cylinders, but if it's tight, it's tight in my opinion.

Cheers,

Rich

Oh, just a thought, some tool manufacturers qoute a 10mm spark plug socket (draper, for example), not a 16mm, but they're exactly the same tool. not sure why they do this?

hello mate,

Not too sure about the rest, but the spark plugs are of a smaller type than is used on most cars (though they are the same as alot of 'bikes)

They will require a 16mm spark plug socket and say a 10" extension bar and ratchet to remove them.

An old trick to gain efficiency when fitting new plugs is to mark on the side of each plug where the electrode gap is facing, then when fitting the plug align this as close to facing the inlet side of your engine as possible whilst making sure the plug is tight enough.

This way the spark isn't shielded from the mixture entering the cylinder and a cleaner burn is achieved.

The results aren't quite so noticable in a car, but i've been racing gp250's for a few years now, fickle things that they are and you can feel the difference.

Some may argue about achieving correct and uniform torques across the cylinders, but if it's tight, it's tight in my opinion.

Cheers,

Rich

Oh, just a thought, some tool manufacturers qoute a 10mm spark plug socket (draper, for example), not a 16mm, but they're exactly the same tool. not sure why they do this?

that looks like a brilliant idea thanks

anyone knows anything about ECU reset remapping will be ideal. the car failed on emission and I'm 100% certain engine is in excellent condition although high mileage!

the guys at the MOT center were not able to do anything to it because it needs to be driven for a distance and the CAT is hot before they can judge. confused...

the CAT needs to be hot before they will test it as that is when it is most efficient.

as for the emissions, try pulling out the EFI fuse, thats the ECU one, after fitting the new lamda sensor it should have been a good idea to do this. pulling that fuse means you dont loose your radio stations pre-sets etc

the CAT needs to be hot before they will test it as that is when it is most efficient.

as for the emissions, try pulling out the EFI fuse, thats the ECU one, after fitting the new lamda sensor it should have been a good idea to do this. pulling that fuse means you dont loose your radio stations pre-sets etc

The guys at the MOT center said they could not take it on the road because it does not have road tax! so they could not do anything to it. they put it on the roller road but that didn't help, they said it needs motorway driving for at least 20-30 miles before they can test the cat. the car was standing for over 4 months! I asked them if they have trade plates but they don't. complete waste of time and money!!

I'll try the EFI fuse thing, but i probably forgot to mention that the Battery went flat at some point. does that have the same effect as pulling the EFI fuse??? what does pulling the EFI fuse do exactly? does it reset the ECU and how long does the car need to recover the correct settings?

pulling the EFI fuse essentially stops the power to the ECU, the ECU has a base map in it, it uses the sensors to trim that map to make it more efficient. it'd probably take about 50-100miles to achieve this

pulling the EFI fuse essentially stops the power to the ECU, the ECU has a base map in it, it uses the sensors to trim that map to make it more efficient. it'd probably take about 50-100miles to achieve this

understood... the question really now is how am i going to do this 100 mile with no tax or MOT??? the only thing i could think off is to book a track day and trail the car there ...have fun and do the 100 mile :) lol

any ideas???

could you try leaving it running on fast idle for 10-15 minutes? i'm at a loss really

Me too :( I have got the results of the emissions today from the MOT center. the MOT guy said he left it running on the rolling road for 2 hours! the Lambda sensor was in and out of the range. the Co was very close but not close enough to pass! so i presume 15 min. aren't going to do any good but I'll do it anyway. I'll also change spark plugs just in case. Do you happen to know the spark clearance on the GT?

also, something else i noticed, when the car is running, there is a lot of water coming out of the exhaust. Why is that? any suggestions? the guy at the MOT center said you need to get rid of that and it will probably be okay. The thing is I don't want to spend 300+ quid on a CAT while the car only needs to run to the end of the road!

water in the exhaust is just condensation, with the car not getting a proper run there will be alot of it.

how far away from your house is your MOT station as you know that you are aloud to drive the car to and from the testing station? if you were to take a little detour somewhere that you could really open up the engine then it would give you a chance to put some proper load on the engine and heat it right up ;)

it's about 7 to 8 miles i'd say. I'll try to get up early that day and drive it round on the motorway between 6-8 am in the morning :) till the center opens :)

i'll see what i can do about that....but so far ... no achievements!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links