Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

1997 Corolla 1.6cd

Lindalous

Hi all,

I'm looking to buy a Corolla 1.6CD from 1997 (P reg) and am trying to find info on the cam belt of these cars. Does anybody know when Corollas got chain cam belts? Was it in 1999? Just something I read somewhere, but can't seem to find it again...

Thanks

Linda

97 1.6 should be a 4A-FE engine, which is a timing belt, not chain.

97 1.6 should be a 4A-FE engine, which is a timing belt, not chain.

Hi again

I see that you on your website say that the 4A-GE engine is a more sensible choice. I'm all for sensible so which corollas have this engine, anyone pre-99?

Cheers

Lindalous Posted Aug 17 2008, 12:17 PM

Hi all,

I'm looking to buy a Corolla 1.6CD from 1997 (P reg) and am trying to find info on the cam belt of these cars. Does anybody know when Corollas got chain cam belts? Was it in 1999? Just something I read somewhere, but can't seem to find it again...

Thanks

Linda

As 4afte said it's a belt - which ideally should be changed every 60,000 mile or 5 years (which ever is sooner).

... say that the 4A-GE engine is a more sensible choice. I'm all for sensible so which corollas have this engine, anyone pre-99?

Cheers

When it said more 'sensible choice' this was regards tuning for performance as for which Corolla officially had this engine in it in the UK then you will have to look at pre '92 such models as the GT (1983-87) and GTi(1987-92).

Of course at this age knowledge of running an older car plus 'battling against rust' will be of the upmost importance.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links