Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

T-sport Driving Tips

new 2002 Tsport owner

This may seem a bit daft to all you boy/girl racers out there but I need some general tips on driving my T-sport.

I have never had an even slightly fast car before so need some tips esp. on the following:

1 Gear speeds and ratios.

2 Overtaking i.e. how best to use lift from 30/40/50 mph for quick overtaking on back roads [i live in country and want to overtake safely, we have a lot of slow traffic].

3 Downchange into lift advice...Is this advisable? Changing down to hit 6200 revs.

4 Can you change down into first when doing above 25/30? I tried and all I got was nasty crunching sound...and yes I has put in the clutch! lol

Cheers

This may seem a bit daft to all you boy/girl racers out there but I need some general tips on driving my T-sport.

I have never had an even slightly fast car before so need some tips esp. on the following:

1 Gear speeds and ratios.

2 Overtaking i.e. how best to use lift from 30/40/50 mph for quick overtaking on back roads [i live in country and want to overtake safely, we have a lot of slow traffic].

3 Downchange into lift advice...Is this advisable? Changing down to hit 6200 revs.

4 Can you change down into first when doing above 25/30? I tried and all I got was nasty crunching sound...and yes I has put in the clutch! lol

Cheers

can't give you any tips on when to change down an that cos my lift comes in at 5200rpm, but yes changin down gears to get in to lift is ok, but always more enjoyable to get revs just below lift point so you feel that lift kick!!!

as for changing down in to 1st wouldn't reccommend that at all, i'm no mechanic but to my knowledge it's not good to drop down in to first

anyway, welcome an enjoy lift

BIG WARNING THOU - you will become a lift addict ha ha!!!!!!

1 No idea but when it redlines change gear!

2 You'll soon get used to where the revs will sit for the speed you're at, until then just go down one at a time until the revs are high enough for Lift

3 Yes! Definately!

4 The crunching noise would say no!! :lol:

Oh, and welcome to the world of Lift Addicts!! :thumbsup:

this may be of some use to you regarding the gear speeds, before my typhoon was fitted i found it very accurate, now with typhoon im sure my gears have creeped up a couple mph. obviously 5th and 6th arnt accurate

http://toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.p...ear+spped+graph

im sure your only going to hit lift in 1st gear at 30,40 and 50mph, think u may just get 40 and 50 in lift in 2nd gear, and 3rd gear lift wont engage till about 60, i may be wrong though :)

I find that normally i've passed the car in front with out going over 6k RPM, unless it needs to be a very quick in and out which i typically wouldnt do as its not worth the risk. Hitting lift is generally to rub the other persons nose in it :lol:

Daz,

Your gearing wont have changed unless you have changed your gearbox ratio's! :P

It seems like I thought looking at the table!

If stuck behind a tractor at 20 mph [regular occurance in country!] then just have to use 2nd gear without lift as lift does not kick in till 50 mph. This will avoid noisy and embarassing crunch of poor gearbox as I tried to select first gear!

I never overtake if I have any doubts...[usually I will only do it if I know the road and will wait to an area I already know is safe] but I always want to keep time on other side of road short as possible.

The amount of A-holes that overtake blind make me so angry!

The most dangerous thing you can do...Like playing blind game of chicken!

I overtook a car and van safely on long straight.

On reaching a windy part of road through a village with speed bumps was rather suprised to be overtaken by car I just passed! He must have taken the hump [quite literally as he 'flew' over speed bumps at over 45 mph]. He then held me up after we got out of village. He is king of the muppets!

Another tip I will give is look out for blind humps in road! We have quite a lot of this as countryside is rolling i.e. road looks clear and straight only for invisible car to suddenly appear from out of the ground!

Or what about car doing 40mph on 60 road...I was happily following [not tailgaiting! Another pet hate of mine] as I knew that long straight coming up, we get to hill with blind summit and she[for it was a woman!] brakes and starts waving me by!

There was no way it was safe and I refused her kind offer for certain death as a milisecond later a car appeared on other side over blind summit she invited me to overtake on...She is Queen of the muppets! hehe

Stay Safe!

Enjoy the lift...but remember the old bill want to stop your fun!

id NEVER go for first gear unless 10mph or slower, if it dont wanna go, dont force it in there! only bad things can happen. If you do -do it, make sure your revs are perfectly matched to the speed in 1st to smoothen the shift out.

Just takes time to get used to your car, 2nd gear is good fun when overtaking at 50ish but its too easy to just keep going lol not that i would ever do that

Drive it like you stole it !!! LOL

But more seriously just get used to the car and you will find out where the power is and when to use it safely etc.

ENJOY THE LIFT !!!!

this may be a bit off topic but the last two times ive needed petrol ive gone to asda, ive always used v power since i baught the car and when the car had fully warmed up the roar of the typhoon becomes a bit toned down compared to when engine cold, anyways with the petrol from asda the car seems to be slightly louder when fully warmed up compared to with v power.

strange !

to add to the topic , getting an induction kit makes u drive it slightly more wild, be carefull :)

LMAO!

:lol:

LMAO!

Dunno what you're laughing it, you did steal yours!

LMAO!

Dunno what you're laughing it, you did steal yours!

Shhh!

Drive it like you stole it !!! LOL :eek:

Yeah...unfortunately I have to drive it like the price of petrol is worth more than gold and that I will be paying for it for the next five years and if anything goes wrong I will be getting the bus hehe!

Dont you hate

1 Price of petrol/ road tax /dodgy rip off mechanics

2 Credit crunch

3 WORK!

4 Poverty...

5 Worst of all....getting old

6 Honda Civic R-types!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links