Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Brake Discs/pads?

G007

what kinda brake discs would you recommend?

"Standard" / "Grooved" / ""Drilled" or "Grooved + Drilled"?

Also, what pads would you recommend for good braking + less brake dust?

"EBC Green Stuff" or "Black Diamond"

I have used the EBC greenstuff pads with their drilled/grooved discs. Most definitely reduces the amount of dust and will reduce brake fading. However, when cold the discs do not perform as well as standard pads/discs. This is most noticeable on cold/wet mornings or when coming off a motorway (if you have not had to slow down and warm up the brakes before you reach the slip road).

A lot of people go for the combi discs (drilled + grooved), but others argue that drilling the discs weakens the unit and doesn't necessarily provide any benefits. This is potentially proven by nrgizerbunny who ended up with a cracked black diamond disc. Now this either proves that drilled discs are weaker or that nrgizer drives and brakes like a crazy man ;).

With regards to pads, the red stuff from EBC are supposed to perform better than the green stuff at low temperatures so probably better to go for those if you are set on EBC. I think if the budget can stretch to it (although imo the money is wasted on our car here) you could get the endless pads as they are apparently excellent - but very expensive too.

A lot of people go for the combi discs (drilled + grooved), but others argue that drilling the discs weakens the unit and doesn't necessarily provide any benefits. This is potentially proven by nrgizerbunny who ended up with a cracked black diamond disc. Now this either proves that drilled discs are weaker or that nrgizer drives and brakes like a crazy man ;).

With regards to pads, the red stuff from EBC are supposed to perform better than the green stuff at low temperatures so probably better to go for those if you are set on EBC. I think if the budget can stretch to it (although imo the money is wasted on our car here) you could get the endless pads as they are apparently excellent - but very expensive too.

what kind of discs would you recommend with the red stuff pads then?

In my experience Redstuff pads are quite useless with anything under 150Bhp or so. That's what the Greenstuff are for. But they're worse when cold.

I use Redstuff myself and find them to be good, I use Standard EBC discs too on the front and have no problems stopping cold or warm/hot :P But everyone has their own opinions on things, some people will sit in a topic argueing for ages about what's good and what's not. Best way to find things out is just try it!

If you buy something you dont' like, atleast it's stopping you plowing in to walls for a while! You can always change later on. I'm yet to try Black Diamond stuff but I think they'll be next on my list. :thumbsup:

• 4 weeks later...

the ceramic redstuff don't need warming up much. bite from cold is there, the problem with greenstuff is if you cane it, you get fade. On the redstuff I totally hammered for 35 miles (consumed 1/3rd tank of fuel) and although there was fade it wasn't too bad.

what i would say which i didn't htink much before is on the T sport or any car which has stiffish springs, changing the back brakes has a noticable effect. Obviously not as much as the front but you can certainly feel the difference.

Personally i would go for standard discs all the way round, don't bother with the grooves, redstuff pads on the front and green on the back.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links