Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

T180 Oil Usage

OldSkoO1

Whats your oil usage like?

The level on my dipstick has fallen about 4mm in about 3k miles. I need to check it again after the engine is fully warm and i will report back how much its dropped.

But does your car use oil? This seems to have dropped more than i thought it would; granted its only a few mil but is this normal - does yours do it?

Make sure its on level ground too :)

1 litre in 600 miles is standard :eek:

Check it COLD on level ground

Top it up to the full mark EXACTLY dont go over or just under. On the mark

Check it again in 600 miles and check how much you have to put in it. COLD

it is not unusual to use quite a bit of oil in a T180

Kingo :thumbsup:

Cheers

I think if you are saying its normal for a t180 to use a bit i'm happy with that. I have the cross hatch on the dipstick not the dimples. So according to the book i should be inbetween to the 2. On cold level ground (as best i can estimate i have a sloping drive) i'm a few mill. below.

The book suggests i check it after engine is fully warm and i leave it a few minutes for it to drain back. When i did that it was VERY hard to get a reading. The oil seemed very thin and wouldn't conjeal? enough to gave a definite end point. But after many goes i concluded that it did seem to end at the maximum mark.

Also how do you tell how much oil you have used, is it based in millimetres ?

Thanks again

I have always been told that on modern cars the gap between the Min & Max is 1 litre.

Checking oil according to the manual, when engine is warm and after waiting couple of minutes for oil to drain, is almost impossible.

Everytime I try that, oil is too thin and it either doesn't stay on the dipstick long enough to get an accurate reading or it's all over the dipstick, even if I wipe it and put it back&bring up.

I don't understand why the manual says it has to be warm, how can you check the oil level when it's warm? Doesn't make sense at all... :disgust:

As parts king says - the new diesel engines do use quite a bit of oil, just make sure you keep an eye on it. If it does start to use an excessive amount get your dealer to carry out a consumption check.

Also check your oil when its cold and make sure its on level ground - even a slight slope can make the reading way out :)

The 2.0/2.2 &2.2 D-Cat do sometimes leak from the sump area and headgasket (check at rear of engine - just above alternator ;) )

Mart.

My D-CAT used a lot of oil between 15-30 tkms, first oil change was at 15 and at 22, level was min. By the way, difference between min and max is about 1,5 l, it's on manual. I drove fingers crossed last 8 tkms and level was min at next change. Finnish Mr T uses Mobil 1 0W-40 around year, it is very thin and I asked a bit thicker oil, they filled Mobil Synth S 5W-50 and next period 30-45 consumption had dropped, level was halfway between marks. There was side-effect in fuel consumption, thicker oil seemed to draw more fuel about 0,2-0,5 l/100 km ( I drive often same routes ) and after 45 I've used only Mobil 1. Oil consumption seemed to be same on next interval, changed at 60. 60-75 oil level dropped only 4-5 mm and at tuesday, oil change at 97, level was almost max. It seems to be going to right direction, if I change oil next time at 130, there must be at least 1 liter extra? In Finland, recommended oil change interval is 15000 km, but I drive a lot and I'm gonna wait car's own service indicator next time. Average finnish Toyota-driver drives between 10-15 tkm/year and I think, that service intervals are tailor-made here, normal finnish winter with frequent cold-starts is hard to any engine. I have Eberspächer fuel-heater ( standard in diesel-Auris in Finland ) and my engine was always warm when i started, no ice on windows and so on...

My D-CAT used a lot of oil between 15-30 tkms, first oil change was at 15 and at 22, level was min. By the way, difference between min and max is about 1,5 l, it's on manual. I drove fingers crossed last 8 tkms and level was min at next change. Finnish Mr T uses Mobil 1 0W-40 around year, it is very thin and I asked a bit thicker oil, they filled Mobil Synth S 5W-50 and next period 30-45 consumption had dropped, level was halfway between marks. There was side-effect in fuel consumption, thicker oil seemed to draw more fuel about 0,2-0,5 l/100 km ( I drive often same routes ) and after 45 I've used only Mobil 1. Oil consumption seemed to be same on next interval, changed at 60. 60-75 oil level dropped only 4-5 mm and at tuesday, oil change at 97, level was almost max. It seems to be going to right direction, if I change oil next time at 130, there must be at least 1 liter extra? In Finland, recommended oil change interval is 15000 km, but I drive a lot and I'm gonna wait car's own service indicator next time. Average finnish Toyota-driver drives between 10-15 tkm/year and I think, that service intervals are tailor-made here, normal finnish winter with frequent cold-starts is hard to any engine. I have Eberspächer fuel-heater ( standard in diesel-Auris in Finland ) and my engine was always warm when i started, no ice on windows and so on...

My T180 is going in for it's 10k service next week having just completed the mileage, and to date has used 2 litres of top-up oil, so not too bad at 200ml/1000miles.

At 18k miles I needed 0.33lts top up. Castrol Magnatec. Had my 20k service and about 23k on clock now with very small drop.

I have only had my Auris for about 3 weeks now and this is my first diesel. Just like all my previous cars I always carry a 1L top up bottle in the back of the car. So I bought a bottle from Toyota and they gave me 10W-40 semi-synthetic.

topupoilte9.th.jpg

Part #: T08880-80826

My question is, the bottle doesn't say 'For Diesels' on it anywhere. Is this still ok to use? Do they use the same oil now for both petrol and diesels? Or have they given me the wrong oil?

Thanks in advance......... ;)

Shouldn't that be 5W-30? Some oils you can use for both diesel and petrol engines. 10W-40 is a quite thick oil used for older cars (and it is semi so the protection level is not as good as with full synthetic)

I just asked for the same oil they used in the service they did when I bought the car. It was 18700miles so they did the 20 000 mile service for me. This is what they gave me!

You can use 10W-40 but recommended is 5W-30 (answer from Toyota in Reading was 5W-30). The one thing I can tell you is that 5l of semi 10w-40 you can get for £15 and fully synthetic 5w-30 is about £45 for 5l.

Thanks for the info. I'll just use this for this year since it's just been done, and next oil change i'll switch to fully.

Regards

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links