Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Whole Bonnet Has Lost The Shiny Colour

fatboyr

i decided to respary the bonnet, however after i use the 1200 grit sandpaper the whole bonnet had lost the shiny surface, after i sprayed the lacquer layers it is still very dull... i think i might have completely screwed my bonnet :help2:

1200 sounds a little rough.... could you not obtain 1600?

Did you use polishing compound to get the paint to shine before your laquered it?

i decided to respary the bonnet, however after i use the 1200 grit sandpaper the whole bonnet had lost the shiny surface, after i sprayed the lacquer layers it is still very dull... i think i might have completely screwed my bonnet :help2:

your right in colour sanding before laquering - when you sprayed the laquer was it a hot day? had same prob myself in the past and was down to it being to hot so basically the paint/laquer dries on contact. i dont try and fix mistakes like that - rub down and start again, worth it in the end. i'm in the process of doing mine at the mo - had to take back to bare metal cos previous owner had made a right mess trying to half spray the bonnet to hide stone chips. the front of the bonnet had 9 layers on!! the rest had 5. good job i did take back to bare metal as they had also sprayed over a rust spot. God may love a trier but i dont when they cause me so much extra work.

oh dear, that sounds like a lot to do... i think it might be better to look for professionals to do that then, anyone know how much would that be around?

• 2 weeks later...

well, now i've used a polishing machine then i used T-cut and some polishing wax, the bonnet has been slightly more shiny, then what should i do next, further polishing with T-cut and wax or start spraying the lacquer layers? thanks :)

Right, from the start I think.

I'mm assuming from your initial post that you flatted and repainted the bonnet first, then tried to get a showroom shine on it.

The way to do this is to flat off the new paint ( at least 1200 wet and dry - used WET with a squirt of Fairy Liquid or other soap.) What you're after is a silky smooth, blemish free MATT finish.

When it's flatted and you're happy with it, wipe clean with pre-paint ( or meths does just as well )and spray the lacquer on in several thin coats. If you're just using tinnies then make sure you shake them for the stated time and leave each coat to dry for as long as it says on the tin.

When you have a good few coats of lacquer on the car you'll need to flat that too, and then polish it to a shine.

There's a great tutorial below ( Courtesy of Airbrushtricks.com ) about clear coat polishing - the same techniques can be used for polishing paintwork without lacquer too, but I always prefer lacquer on top for the shine and the added protection.

Please wait a few seconds for Video to load!

Good old Tony D - constant source of inspiration ! :D

Hope this helps.

Good luck !

thanks for the suggestion, oh, i've tried that using the polishing machine with t-cut, then i did removed the unwanted part of the paint and the colour is getting better, but it took me about whole day for the front wing and part of the bonnet, guess i might still need few days to do that :(

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links