Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Question About Rear Brakes

Ferjancz

Hello,

My name is Pavlin and I'm the newest member here ;)

So , my toyota is Corolla E11 '99 1.6 16V and it has drum rear breaks. I've seen the same corollas with disc rear brakes. which is correct and what are the chances to make my car with disc rear brakes? Maybe some advices how to make it .

Regards!

Pavlin

Not worth it and don't bother! ;)

Some 'SR's and all G6R's had disc brakes during your 'era' of Corolla. Disc brakes were also fitted to earlier models such as the GT and GTi ('83-'87 & '87-'92) and the GXI ('92-95).

The calipers on ALL AE/EE Corollas in it's various models from 1983 to 2002 are the same BUT the caliper 'carrier' I believe is not.

If you decide to go for this conversion it would be best to locate a 'scrap' axle from a Junkyarded Corolla sports model of same era as yours. Plus the handbrake cables are different (I also believe brake pipes are longer as well).

As a side note Corolla rear disc brakes of ALL ages are renowned for suffering from sticking calipers (usually the slide gums up) and handbrake efficency problems are very common.

The only benefit I can see would be from a looks point of view.

Finally some members on here have done the conversion AE111sr and RED AE102

it is a simple conversion providing you can source the parts. twincam is right about the rear calipers but if you clean and grease the sliders periodically you wont get a problem. the handbrake mechanism do stick - i think that's why now they've reverted to a drum brake inside the disc. i dont use the handbrake since i went through the expense of new calipers and handbrake cables - just leave it in gear.

braking performance is obviously improved so well worth doing and looks so much better. shame - i have all the parts to do this conversion but you are too far away.

Thank you for your answers :) And yeah may be you're right , I want to make the conversion just because of the look. :rolleyes: About the hand break I do not bother because it will be a hydraulic one any way B) no matter what type the rear breaks will be ( drum or disc ) So thank you again and I'll buy the beer :D

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links