Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Noise Under Load

warchesh

Okay let me attempt to explain this, especially when cold in gear moving off, there is a sound like a mini siren or a whoooooo noise, this will cease as soon as I lift my foot off the accelerator...then appear again when pressed...I have had some discussion on another web site about this noise, I have had it into Toyota, they say it is normal for this vehicle and there is nothing wrong....it's still weird :(

LC3 D-4D Auto

Okay let me attempt to explain this, especially when cold in gear moving off, there is a sound like a mini siren or a whoooooo noise, this will cease as soon as I lift my foot off the accelerator...then appear again when pressed...I have had some discussion on another web site about this noise, I have had it into Toyota, they say it is normal for this vehicle and there is nothing wrong....it's still weird :(

LC3 D-4D Auto

Dude, you're sure it isn't the turbo? Ratchet does it too. Well, with mine I know it is the turbo. It's a very beautiful noise indeed! B)

EDIT: Ratchet is my September 2003 LC4 D4D Auto Landcruiser - green. I love him to bits! Named Ratchet after the Transformers movie

I don't think it's the turbo..in fact I am sure, it's not that I am clogging it when moving off, I drive very sedately and as I accelerate it's a whooooooo ........... foot off, the noise slowly dissappears....foot on [gently] to keep the vehicle moving and again the whooooooooo noise [or just like a mini siren] :unsure: :(

I don't think it's the turbo..in fact I am sure, it's not that I am clogging it when moving off, I drive very sedately and as I accelerate it's a whooooooo ........... foot off, the noise slowly dissappears....foot on [gently] to keep the vehicle moving and again the whooooooooo noise [or just like a mini siren] :unsure: :(

Hmmm, mine makes a similar noise... My 3litre V8 BMW did a similar thing (E34 530i). Isn't it the cooling fans then?

I would not have thought so......the noise is blatantly obvious from cold [especially first thing in the morning]

I can rev it on drive...the noise in question is not there, it is only when gear selected and moving off, I could actually play a tune by accelerating then taking my foot off and so on.

When it is hot it is not nearly as noticeable.

From a common sense point of view to me, it has either got to be something to do with the auto or it's something as was suggested on another site as being to do with the air intake somehow. [eg the rubber skirt around the inter cooler not seating] but why then does it basically disappear when hot. :huh: and why does this not show when the engine is revved on the drive before engaging gear.

I was parked up yesterday with two other Land cruisers, one exact same year, one a year younger, both D-4d Auto, when I asked the drivers about any strange noises when moving off, yep you guessed it..blank looks...now I am really getting fed up with the noise. :angry::angry:

Toyota garage says it's normal....strange thing no one on this site has come forward and said that they have same noise and neither did the drivers yesterday......I think it's time for a re-visit to the Garage or an independent inspection.

I was parked up yesterday with two other Land cruisers, one exact same year, one a year younger, both D-4d Auto, when I asked the drivers about any strange noises when moving off, yep you guessed it..blank looks...now I am really getting fed up with the noise. :angry::angry:

Toyota garage says it's normal....strange thing no one on this site has come forward and said that they have same noise and neither did the drivers yesterday......I think it's time for a re-visit to the Garage or an independent inspection.

Found someone on another site...with exactly same issues. I am not sure if I am relieved :rolleyes:

• 8 months later...

Found someone on another site...with exactly same issues. I am not sure if I am relieved :rolleyes:

Did you ever get this sorted?

Was it to do with air intake pipe at all or a pulley/tensioner?

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links