Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Removing Steering Wheel

rave

Hello, i need to remove the steering wheel in order to have it stuffed, but because of the airbag i`m a litle nervous about removing it....any indications ? can i do it safely without damage the airbag ? thanks guys.

Only ever done this on a Land Rover, if I remember right you disconnect the Battery and leave the car for about an hour.

After an hour you can disconnect the airbag and remove the steering wheel. But get a few opinions on this before you proceed.

Good luck :thumbsup:

Hello, i need to remove the steering wheel in order to have it stuffed,

Stuffed? :unsure::huh: :o :blink:

Never really thought of mounting my steering wheel on the wall, like a hunting trophy! :lol::lol:

Never really thought of mounting my steering wheel on the wall, like a hunting trophy! :lol::lol:

Sorry for any bad English, i really can`t find the right word for it, i mean putting new leather.... :blushing:

Sorry for any bad English, i really can`t find the right word for it, it`t putting new leather.... :blushing:

No need to apologise at all :thumbsup: You're English is excellant! :toast:

I did think you were talking about recovering the steering wheel in the first post. Just my sense of humour couldn't resist the joke! :lol:

Quite a task you've set yourself though ;) I wouldn't know were to begin! :unsure:

Sorry for any bad English, i really can`t find the right word for it, i mean putting new leather.... :blushing:

Well, I don't think any of us has told you what the right word is and English is allegedly our first language, so Stuffed is as good as any :yes:

Rave - check your Inbox :)

Well, I don't think any of us has told you what the right word is and English is allegedly our first language, so Stuffed is as good as any :yes:

Rave - check your Inbox :)

Thanks Hoovie, being helpful like always :thumbsup:

I just read this again and had visions of Anchorman, sitting in big leather chair, smoking jacket on and a glass of port in hand, in his trophy room, walls peppered with Land Rover and Honda Steering Wheels :laughing::laughing:

Funny - I was thinking of whipping oot ma steering wheel tae replace it wi a racing style wan tae allow me tae get in an oot the car easier.

I saw a Ford Ka slam intae a set o traffic lights oan a pole in Glasgae city centre oan Wednesday - the traffic lights were scattered aw oer the place an the Ka wis weel smashed up at the front. Hoooever, the airbag never went aff!!! The driver wis ok but.

Defo need to undo yer Battery, and whilst stanin in a bucket o water fur 3 hours, then carefully remove the shroud frae the steering column whilst praying oan a rubber carpet wrapped roon yer face that the thing disnae go aff. A 3lb mallet will help tae loosen the wheel afore ye remove the airbag an stuff.

Noo, will the nice lady whits goat ma manual please copy it an send it back cos ahm fair lost wi-oot it!!

No LR bits going on my wall! I do like a noggin of Port though :yes:

Rave

Disconnect the Battery and then have a cup of coffee while the airbag capacitor dissipates otherwaise the airbag may deploy. Wait for 5 minutes or so or you will think that Mike Tyson has hit you :boxing: .

Use a T30 torx screwdriver to remove the 2 screws in the side of the airbag module

Disconnect the wire and remove the hub. It shoul be placed on a flat surface face up (with the Toyota logo facing up) well out of the way while continuing to work.

Place matchmarks on the steering shaft and wheel so that you can realign them after. Undo the nut in the centre of the wheel but leave it on by two or three turns.

You are supposed to use a puller to remove the wheel but it will come aff as follows; Put your knees under the lower rim of the seering wheel and exert as much upward force as you can. Use the palms of your hands to bump the upper half of the wheel. Leaving the nut on by a few threads will stop it flying off and breaking your teeth! When it is loose you can remove the nut and the wheel.

When refiting realign the match marks and fit the wheel. The torque for the nut is 50 Nm.

Do not reconnect the Battery at any stage until the airbag is reinstalled or DTCs (Diagnostic Trouble Codes) will be stored.

Refit the wire to the airbag and then the airbag to the wheel with the torx screws.

Reconnect the Battery

You are supposed to use a puller to remove the wheel but it will come aff as follows;

Ehhhh......whits a pullover goat tae dae wi removing the wheel? Ah havnae bocht a pullover whit fits me, so wid a cardigan work as weel? Ah dinna hae wan oh them ether, so wid a sweatshirt dae insted cos ah hae 6 o them? :unsure:

Sorry for any bad English, i really can`t find the right word for it, it`t putting new leather.... :blushing:

No need to apologise at all :thumbsup: You're English is excellant! :toast:

I did think you were talking about recovering the steering wheel in the first post. Just my sense of humour couldn't resist the joke! :lol:

Quite a task you've set yourself though ;) I wouldn't know were to begin! :unsure:

excellant! - excellent?

excellant! - excellent?

Doh! :blush: Spooling was nevver mi stroong piont! :lol::lol:

Not a school teacher are you Notebook! :mellow:

Had too many See me's, when I was a lad! :lol::lol::lol:

Jist a wee point on anchormans fix - whit if ye ony have 1 leg??? Or 1 hand?? Or maybe 1 leg shorter than the ither??

And wid it no be a steering wheel puller yid need, cos the hubs doon at the wheel?? :P

excellant! - excellent?

Doh! :blush: Spooling was nevver mi stroong piont! :lol::lol:

Not a school teacher are you Notebook! :mellow:

Had too many See me's, when I was a lad! :lol::lol::lol:

No - just an annoying welsh git!!!!

Jist a wee point on anchormans fix - whit if ye ony have 1 leg??? Or 1 hand?? Or maybe 1 leg shorter than the ither??

And wid it no be a steering wheel puller yid need, cos the hubs doon at the wheel?? :P

You have to use a mate with the opposite one leg :rolleyes:

You have to use a mate with the opposite one leg :rolleyes:

Hmmmmmm :wacko:

at no insestuous??

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links