Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Fuel Leak

Graeme Walker

Got another minor problem.

I filled the car up recently and after returning from the garage cashier I noticed fuel pouring out from under the boot. I'm not sure how much I lost but it was probably a few litres.

As a result I've been filling the tank 3/4's full but there's still a steady drip every time I re-fuel.

A look on the WWW and I see I can purchase a "fuel-tank neck". I am assuming that there is a leak between the neck and the tank, and if so, I'm hoping that a silicon filler may seal it, but my question is, how to I access the neck/tank? Do I need to take it to a garage to get it up on a ramp or is it a job I can do myself?

adv<thanks>ance

There was problems on the filler necks on the Carina II. This is a rust issue which can be fixed DIY.

Its easier to remove the filler neck from the vehicle. Silicone will not work.

Halfords sell a 'two-part' epoxy resin putty which is branded as a fuel tank repair product. It is a permanent fix.

Similar to:

http://www.proppa.com/quiksteel-6-p.asp

Dead easy to change the filler neck.

First, jack rear up on axle stands/ramps then disconnect the flexible hoses that connect the filler to the tank,

then pop the filler cap and undo the securing nut for the release cable and the four screws, you can access the cable

through the left hand side boot area by taking off the side trim in the boot.

There's one more nut underneath this is the most difficult one, then you can jiggle it free.

i got a second hand filler pipe from a scrap yard for a tenner, before fitting i wire brushed all the rust off

and covered it in hammerite so it would last. :)

Dead easy to change the filler neck.

First, jack rear up on axle stands/ramps then disconnect the flexible hoses that connect the filler to the tank,

then pop the filler cap and undo the securing nut for the release cable and the four screws, you can access the cable

through the left hand side boot area by taking off the side trim in the boot.

There's one more nut underneath this is the most difficult one, then you can jiggle it free.

i got a second hand filler pipe from a scrap yard for a tenner, before fitting i wire brushed all the rust off

and covered it in hammerite so it would last. :)

Well, lads. I jacked the car up this morning and released the release cable and the four screws around the filler cap.

I got underneath and nearly died a death. The pipe that leads from the cap to the tank is rusted to death and is certainly beyond repair (if it's not then I'd be amazed), and the bolts and brackets that affix it to the chassis look done, too.

I was wary in trying to remove them as it looked as if they would crumble away at the merest sight of pressure.

A journey to a breakers-yard is in order for a new pipe/hose and replacement brackets and bolts.

There was also no visible sign of the hole/leak. It could be anywhere (the tank itself looks sound).

• 4 weeks later...
Got another minor problem.

I filled the car up recently and after returning from the garage cashier I noticed fuel pouring out from under the boot. I'm not sure how much I lost but it was probably a few litres.

As a result I've been filling the tank 3/4's full but there's still a steady drip every time I re-fuel.

A look on the WWW and I see I can purchase a "fuel-tank neck". I am assuming that there is a leak between the neck and the tank, and if so, I'm hoping that a silicon filler may seal it, but my question is, how to I access the neck/tank? Do I need to take it to a garage to get it up on a ramp or is it a job I can do myself?

adv<thanks>ance

Dont forget that the breather hole for the tank is at the top of the filler neck so if you brim it it will leak out....i got a nasty shock while filling up for the journey to wales on holiday....dont overfill!!!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links