Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Drum, In Disc Set Up

macdonb2

Just wondering if and when should the shoes on the handbreak drum in the e12 need to be replaced??

cheers!!

Just wondering if and when should the shoes on the handbreak drum in the e12 need to be replaced??

cheers!!

When they're worn out would be the short answer. As it's a handbrake only, I'd imagine they probably last a good few years.

Saying that I replaced mine after three years as a lining had detached from a shoe and the brake wasn't applying on that side. The strange thing was, the car had just passed a main dealer MoT and it did go in with the duff shoe fitted!

Cheers.

that's fair enough jus as long as i remember to keep it parked in gear!!

is this a common set up for rear discs in cars? i actually only found out about it recently always presumed it was the disc being activated with the hand break!!

in a word nope, most euro and japanese vehicles have handbrake on the disc not handbrake on a drum inside the disc. Don't know about the new auris. usuually when the shoes are fitted they rub ever so slightly until they rub themselves clear. after you change the discs you have to reset them. i think at 40k you should change the shoes because the metal bits will have coroded.

the auris is back to the disc operated handbrake. IMO they are not as good as the drum type.

the linings detach when they get over heated, either poor adjustment or the car being driven with the handbrake applied (even slightly)

basicaly they last ages, there ist much meat on the new ones. new shoes are about £30 from MrT

Well luckily i'm not prone to handbreak turns so if it will hold the car it's good enough for me plus i jus got pads replaced so don't fancy strippin again.

do you prefer drum over disk for the foot break aswell dawesy?

• 15 years later...

Just had the rear Brake Discs with drum inside and pads/shoes replaced after 155,000 miles. Lasted well!

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links