Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Vvtli Lift Problem

gordy395

Please help. My car has recently lost its kick when accelerating. Usually when cold it would have hit the rev limiter at about 6500rpm and when warm at about 6000rpm I would have felt the noticable change in the lift. Now when cold or warm it will rev to 8000 rpm but the kick is not there or is hardly noticable :(

Please help. My car has recently lost its kick when accelerating. Usually when cold it would have hit the rev limiter at about 6500rpm and when warm at about 6000rpm I would have felt the noticable change in the lift. Now when cold or warm it will rev to 8000 rpm but the kick is not there or is hardly noticable :(

reving a cold engine upto 6500rpm you must be nuts??????????????

Don't know too much about the 2zz-ge engine yet, but from what I've read elsewhere, it sounds like your lift bolts have broken, not allowing the car to engage its second set of cams. they're a few quid from toyota, plus a bit more for replacing. It shouldn't be a huge bill. I'll wait to be corrected though, or some better advice to be offered!

I'll echo the other comment though, you'd be much better off not taking the car that high when cold - it'll increase the wear rate on internals. Wait a few minutes before hammering it - it'll probably save you a fortune in repair bills further down the line.

How old is your T Sport??

The first batch of engines had a problem with Lift bolts breaking.

They're quite cheap from Toyota and i think somewhere in the Corolla section someone posted a walk through on how to change them :thumbsup:

Edit http://toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=63672

The walk through is for the Corolla T Sport but it'll give you an idea of what's involved if you want to try yourself

Thanks for the advice guys Im going to try changing the lift bolts and see what happens. By the way I dont hammer it when cold. I just noticed this lately when trying to diagnose the problem.

• 3 weeks later...

Just spent the affternoon changing the lift bolts and the intake bolt was broken so i was pleased that i had found something wrong. I got the broken bolt out and put new ones in, built engine up again and took it for a drive but it is still exactly the same. Any more idea's

Hello Gordy395.

I had the same problem on my 2002 190 what i found to be the problem was a blocked VVTLi oil control valve which is situated at the right top corner of the head really simple to do take out the bolts remove the housing.

Behind the housing there is a filter which is approx 1 1/4 inches long wash it with diesel and also clean the housing and rod this mechanism works of oil pressure and if the filter is blocked then there is insufficient pressure to operate the valve.

That would be my first move before removing any Cam bolts.

Hello Gordy395.

I had the same problem on my 2002 190 what i found to be the problem was a blocked VVTLi oil control valve which is situated at the right top corner of the head really simple to do take out the bolts remove the housing.

Behind the housing there is a filter which is approx 1 1/4 inches long wash it with diesel and also clean the housing and rod this mechanism works of oil pressure and if the filter is blocked then there is insufficient pressure to operate the valve.

That would be my first move before removing any Cam bolts.

Thanks for the reply. My car is a 2001 190 but unfortunately I tried cleaning the oil control valve tonight after reading about it in another post. The filter was pretty clean, I cleaned it out and the housing and rod I checked that the rod moved freely by putting power on the the solenoid. I rebuit it and drove the car but it is still not going right. The car is accelerating ok to 6000rpm it then does not change the way it used to but does continue to rev to 8000 but seems to be missing slightly

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links