Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Looking To Buy A Compressor

farhanali89

After waiting a good while have been looking into buying a compressor. Managed to get good insurance quotes compared to many other cars in the same power band etc.

What i really needed to know is anything i should look out for when buying the car. Found a compressor at a ford garage for about 8995 seems all fine.

Finally do they compare well to newer cars on the market such as the STs or VXRs im not looking to smoke them but im not looking to get blown away by a vxr or something.

Im aware of all the modifications which could be done but will not be touching the car in the first year so any advise or comparisons would be appreciated.

After waiting a good while have been looking into buying a compressor. Managed to get good insurance quotes compared to many other cars in the same power band etc.

What i really needed to know is anything i should look out for when buying the car. Found a compressor at a ford garage for about 8995 seems all fine.

Finally do they compare well to newer cars on the market such as the STs or VXRs im not looking to smoke them but im not looking to get blown away by a vxr or something.

Im aware of all the modifications which could be done but will not be touching the car in the first year so any advise or comparisons would be appreciated.

first of all the quoted 0-60 time 6.9 is rubbish, it's more like in the low 6's!!!

i've had little play with focus ST, compressor is quicker off the line but in to bout 3rd gear ST catches an pulls away, due to bigger engine havin more power an more torque, but this was before fittin K+N induction kit which is meant to make quite bit of difference on these. haven't tried against a vxr.

if you do get one you gotta get K+N straight away as it sounds amazing, if you go on youtube an type in my user name - toweylowey, you'll see videos of my car so you can hear it.

well what i would say.. if you are buying from a ford a garage test drive the car and make sure it revs propely and hits lift.. cos chances are that that ford know sh*t all about our toyotas and its is probably being run on unleaded rather than super. Which for long periods of time causes pinking and can damage the engine

to be honest i bought my compressor from toyota and i said to myself i wouldnt touch it till the warruntee runs out but less than year in iv done a fair few mods. and i personally think the touches i have done have made this car a true hot hatch.. i get countless ppl comin up to me and ask me what model it is and iv turned a few heads at the lights.

never came up against a st or vxr as yet.. but by no means is this car slow

I'm not sure how aggressively toweylowey was driving on those videos on youtube, but it looks like the VXR would chew the corolla up. I'm a more sedate driver (old age does that to ya :D ) but my younger brother has a VXR and drives at those speeds (spins the wheels in fourth etc.). I can't see the corolla coming close in a race, I'm afraid.

As an aside: toweylowey, take the car out on a good road and use a tripod with the video camera (to stop the shake), lets see what it can really do in second or third gear. B)

I'm not sure how aggressively toweylowey was driving on those videos on youtube, but it looks like the VXR would chew the corolla up. I'm a more sedate driver (old age does that to ya :D ) but my younger brother has a VXR and drives at those speeds (spins the wheels in fourth etc.). I can't see the corolla coming close in a race, I'm afraid.

As an aside: toweylowey, take the car out on a good road and use a tripod with the video camera (to stop the shake), lets see what it can really do in second or third gear. B)

I've had the wheels spinning in 6th!!!!!! ha ha!!!

as for against a vxr, i can see the comprssor doin ok actually, i do ok to keep up ish with my mates 300bhp scooby without it pullin away too much same as a vxr does against it. i'll have to go find a vxr to play with now lol.

but yes the video's aren't the best as all done on mobile phone. an no one will hold a camera in my car to show wot it'll do properly, cos there too busy holdin on!!!! ha ha!!

I drove the ST and quite liked it. It was more expensive than the Compressor though and much more common. Hated the cheap interior of the ST which was also a thing which put me off. The ST is marginally quicker and sounds great, 5 pot engine! The main difference is the extra tourque in the ST. And actually once buying in the second hand market the depreciation for the ST is a lot worse than the Compressor.

Don't really know too much about the VXR though, I guess it will be pretty similar to ST but I think it's slightly quicker again. So no you won't get smoked, but the VXR will def be quicker, personnally I don't think the ST is much quicker than Compressor.

Down to personal pref really.

wheel spins are just an indictaion of bad footwork!

Loads of Torque makes the car feels as if its pulling harder but in reality is it going faster?

EG CTS vs a Auris T180, i would think the Auris feels quicker because the turbo boost pins you in the seat. Yet the CTS in a drag race would win even though it would feel slower and less dramatic (other than the engine sceaming :D )

Corolla Compressor - 215 1280 170.67

ST - 222 1392 162.04

VXR - 237 1393 172.87

Interesting when you look at the above - BHP - Kerb Weight - BHP Per Tonne - Based on standard cars

Leave toweylowey's driving skills alone, kangzy, I'm sure he meant to do it. :unsure: Blow your baseball cap clean off that compressor would.

capka4.jpg

thing ive heard about the vxr is its difficult to keep the power down as also stated by top gear. my friend just recently test drove one and said the same, and as said by astronomer about the wheels spinning this seems to be a problem, great cars though wouldnt mind one myself.

compressor may also be next on my car list when i get sick of this one , although i will be looking at the prices of the s2000's too :)

surely someone can find a video of cts compressor vs vxr or focus st ?

Leave toweylowey's driving skills alone, kangzy, I'm sure he meant to do it. :unsure: Blow your baseball cap clean off that compressor would.

capka4.jpg

i was actuali refferring to astronomer comments! lol

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links