Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Cost Of Replacement Clutch?

niallmitch

My wife's RAV needs a new clutch - its slipping after only 70k miles - guess its towed a lot of heavy things.

Anyhow, our local "friendly" garage has quoted us £699 plus vat to replace it - was expecting a few quid to do this but this is about £300 more than I thought.

Says it needs 10 hours labour due to the Aircon unit - any idea if this is a reasonable price? Seems a lot of time to unbold a few bits and bolt them back on........If not, any recommendations of a reasonable garage in the somerset/devon area?

Its a 5 door 2.0 litre 1999 VX.

Thanks for any help

My wife's RAV needs a new clutch - its slipping after only 70k miles - guess its towed a lot of heavy things.

Anyhow, our local "friendly" garage has quoted us £699 plus vat to replace it - was expecting a few quid to do this but this is about £300 more than I thought.

Says it needs 10 hours labour due to the Aircon unit - any idea if this is a reasonable price? Seems a lot of time to unbold a few bits and bolt them back on........If not, any recommendations of a reasonable garage in the somerset/devon area?

Its a 5 door 2.0 litre 1999 VX.

Thanks for any help

Yep sounds about right... Most of that cost is actually getting to it as the whole bottom of the engine needs removing and gearbox lowering as they are right in the bottom.. Most cost will go on labour... wait till you see the RAV in bits just to get to it... Also make sure they do a re-alignment of the tracking as that will be out from removing the front bits....

I say this as I had mine replaced when they did the DMF (dual mass flywheel) and see all the engine proped up just to get to it... The part it's self is not that expensive £150 or there a bout's for the clutch + plate...

And welcome to the club... :thumbsup:

Theres 2 ways of doing the job - engine out, which entails dropping the engine down.

Or, I have seen it done by tilting the engine, by removing mounts etc, and doing it in situ while the car is up on a 4-post ramp.

The first way is around £700. The second way is faster hence cheaper, but I guess that you need a mechanic who knows what they are doing.

The Toyota dealer method is to drop the engine out. For what its worth, back in 1997 the dealer price was £600 to replace a clutch so 11 years later the price is not so bad!!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links