Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

My T180 Is Now A T200

okitsme

Well I've gone and done it, I've just bought and fitted a Tunit Diesel Performance module to my T180 and WOW !!, what a difference. It pulls like a train throughout the Rev range and behaves more like a petrol car but with the Torque of a diesel. Haven't been able to gauge a difference in MPG as yet as I am still firmly in "Big Grin" mode at present but I'm hoping for a small increase in economy when I calm down.

I went for the Tunit after having a long chat to their guys at the Motor Show,and being very impressed, they showed me an article about an SR180 in the Toyota Sprint series that they have fitted the Tunit to and it giving impressive gains. The module was not cheap at £398 + VAT ( could of got a 20% discount if I had bought at the show ( kicks ones self) ) but with their 3 year warranty and part exchange scheme it seemed worth the extra to me.

The unit comes with a 9 way rotary switch that you can use to find the optimum tune ie economy/performance and also if required, it can be Laptop tuned at one of their distributors for a more personalized setting. For me I'm still experimenting with the ideal switch position.

Contacted the insurance company to let them know and only a £40 uplift on my policy so quite pleased with that also, it's good to know I'm properly covered. ( not worth the risk not to tell them in my opinion)

Anyway I'm off now to waste some more Diesel

Please keep us updated on how it goes esp. with MPG - i want to see if i can reach 50MPG with M-Way driving or dual carridgeway driving combined without trying :)

And also if the chip produces any smoke under hard acceleration.

Cheers

p.s. was it easy to fit?

Please keep us updated on how it goes esp. with MPG - i want to see if i can reach 50MPG with M-Way driving or dual carridgeway driving combined without trying :)

And also if the chip produces any smoke under hard acceleration.

Cheers

p.s. was it easy to fit?

It was extremely easy to fit in less than 10 minutes, you just unplug the connector on the left hand end of the common rail at the front of the engine ( common rail pressure sensor ) and plug the unit in between. As for MPG I guess its going to be very much how you drive, I do notice a lot more low down Torque around 1500 rpm so I would imagine a lot less gear changing may lead to fuel savings. On a motorway drive as you are not changing gear so much I'm not sure if there will be a saving but Ill let you know, overall I was told to expect around 4-5 MPG improvement which in my view would be great.

As for smoke, none has been noted as yet and also no issues with diagnostic warnings etc. The Tunit modules it would seem are set up fairly conservatively with their advertised gains not as much as other manufacturers though I would suggest that their figures are also fairly conservative.

So far I'm delighted and If it does give me an extra few MPG it will go some way to help pay for itself ( Only if I can lighten my right foot though :) )

this sounds interesting.

i very nearly went for the venom unit that a user in the avensis forum fitted to his avensis t180. The only thing that stopped me was i emailed them with a coupld of simple questions and they didnt bother to reply, so i went and spent the money on a new telly instead!!!

Keep us updated on the tunit box though if you dont mind, i may invest in one if it comes up trumps

this sounds interesting.

i very nearly went for the venom unit that a user in the avensis forum fitted to his avensis t180. The only thing that stopped me was i emailed them with a coupld of simple questions and they didnt bother to reply, so i went and spent the money on a new telly instead!!!

Keep us updated on the tunit box though if you dont mind, i may invest in one if it comes up trumps

I've been reading up recently and tunit does seem to have a good reputation. I'm sort of waiting for parts king to get stock in of the t180 chips but they are still developing them.

Whats the warranty situation on these (Toyota)?

Just one thing that may be of interest, Tunit do offer a try before buy service from their distributors, I was going to go this route but they offered a full refund if I wasn't fully satisfied when buying direct.

BTW I feel I should say i have no connection with Tunit other than being a so far satisfied customer.

• Like 1

Can you please post some pictures of the powerbox conected to the engine?

I've done a couple of pictures, hope these are clear

tunit1.jpg

tunit2.jpg

As you can see the Tunit "Y Cable" plugs between the Common rail pressure sensor and its original plug. The actual module is at the other end of the "Y Cable" ( approx 1 Metre) and can be mounted anywhere away from heat and vibration. I need to find somewhere more permanent for mine.

• Like 1

A few of my mates on ffoc, and focusowners.com (when I had a ford focus) played around with the Tunit Box on Focus TDCi's at the time, and from what I remember there were no ill effects other than a slight increase in smoke.

For anyone in the West Midlands there was a really helpfull Tunit distributor covering that area, and he also had the ability to "Laptop Tune".

How's the tunit box coming along??

This is becoming VERY VERY tempting!!!

Everything is working fine with no smoke or other issues.

I'm still experimenting with the switch options and it's tempting to go for a high setting but I don't want to over compromise the fuel economy, it's heart ruling the head at the moment. Also I haven't been on any long drives as yet and have only been pottering around town so can't really judge the MPG as yet.

The main things I notice is the torque comes in much lower, the change down light can be lit but the engine doesn't labour at all. Also under hard acceleration the power band does seem to extend to throughout the Rev range, the best analogy is that the characteristics seem like a performance Turbo charged Petrol car but with much more low down Torque.

The turbo lag is still there but not as pronounced so pulling away from roundabouts is improved.

When I consider that a month ago I was driving around in my Verso T180 with the same power plant, the difference is simply astonishing and with at least 8 MPG improvement in fuel economy so far, I'm well chuffed with my Auris.

Any other questions please ask and I'll try and answer

Everything is working fine with no smoke or other issues.

I'm still experimenting with the switch options and it's tempting to go for a high setting but I don't want to over compromise the fuel economy, it's heart ruling the head at the moment. Also I haven't been on any long drives as yet and have only been pottering around town so can't really judge the MPG as yet.

The main things I notice is the torque comes in much lower, the change down light can be lit but the engine doesn't labour at all. Also under hard acceleration the power band does seem to extend to throughout the Rev range, the best analogy is that the characteristics seem like a performance Turbo charged Petrol car but with much more low down Torque.

The turbo lag is still there but not as pronounced so pulling away from roundabouts is improved.

When I consider that a month ago I was driving around in my Verso T180 with the same power plant, the difference is simply astonishing and with at least 8 MPG improvement in fuel economy so far, I'm well chuffed with my Auris.

Any other questions please ask and I'll try and answer

thanks! been really helpful so far

But be aware its not just using more fuel that can be a disadvantage. With the dcat engine having a 5th injector more fuel can be injected there too - EGR valves can become clogged up quicker and the extra pressure put on the injection system can also premeturely wear parts, maybe even the fuel pump.

Its completely up to you but i wouldn't run at a higher setting than recommended for your daily run. :thumbsup:

Indeed the tollerances are pretty good esp. on toyotas so there is room and you can run at these higher speeds but with the default mapping it shouldn't really present any difference in longativity providing you don't thrash it everywhere.

I have now 40000kms on my car, the last 37000km's has been with the ProMotech tuningbox and it still holds up very nice indeed.

• 2 years later...

60000 mile update

Had the Tunit box on my T180 for 40000 of those miles, I've had no issues at all with the car. No smoke, extra Ommph and plenty of smiles over that time.

However now it's time for a change.

The Auris has to go as my company want me to have cars under 4 years old which is a shame because do like the Auris.

I wasn't sure whether to sell the car with the Tunit box so I've stuck it on eBay separately.

Now for the fun and games at the weekend, seeing what offers I can get for the Auris, the problem is I haven't got a clue of what car I want next. I guess fuel economy is going to play a big part in my decision though :angry: .

Hi,

Can you give me a link to your ebay auction, please.

thanks

Andy

Sorry Andy it went straight away on a "buy it now", I didn't want to post the link on the forum and break any advertising rules

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links