Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

I Dare Not Go On Holiday!

ravioli

I have a RAV XTR 2.0.

My problem is that each time I go abroad on holiday (max 2 weeks) I return home to a flat Battery. It happens so often that I'm almost on first name terms with the local RAC patrolman! <_<

Despite having a new Battery fitted under warranty 18 months ago, the problem persists.

RAC mechanics have said that they suspect something must be draining the Battery but my local Toyota dealer insists that they can find nothing wrong and I should, more or less, expect a flat battery after leaving the car for two weeks.

I may look like a helpless female, ;) whose mechanical knowledge is a bit limited, but I feel sure this should not be happening and I'm anxious to have the problem addressed before my warranty expires within the next few days.

I wonder if any other RAV owner has experienced this problem and, if so, what was the cause and solution?

ravioli

I had a similar problem on an Audi - it turned out to be the alarm system.

What you could do is disconnect the Battery before you go on holiday, then reconnect it when you get back. It won't cure the problem, but it should keep the RAC man at bay.

Usually a power drain like this can be located simply by a good auto electrician. It might be worth getting it checked ( away from Toyota ) . He may find something that your dealer can't. If there's a warranty issue then at least you'll have the proof there's a fault !

Good luck

I have a RAV XTR 2.0.

My problem is that each time I go abroad on holiday (max 2 weeks) I return home to a flat battery. It happens so often that I'm almost on first name terms with the local RAC patrolman! <_<

Despite having a new battery fitted under warranty 18 months ago, the problem persists.

RAC mechanics have said that they suspect something must be draining the battery but my local Toyota dealer insists that they can find nothing wrong and I should, more or less, expect a flat battery after leaving the car for two weeks.

I may look like a helpless female, ;) whose mechanical knowledge is a bit limited, but I feel sure this should not be happening and I'm anxious to have the problem addressed before my warranty expires within the next few days.

I wonder if any other RAV owner has experienced this problem and, if so, what was the cause and solution?

ravioli

Well, I can't comment on the helpless female bit as I don't have yer photie.

The wee Battery is no the biggest so I'd pit it oan a trickle charge Battery charger as the Classic Car guys (me) use. It keeps the Battery up to charge and the alarm ok. Google or search for suppliers.

I had the same thing happen to me this year, which on this occasion I had turn my door mirrors in and double locked the RAV.

I also had difficulty getting into the RAV with the manual key from the XT-5 fob, as this had never been used before and door lock mechanism was very stiff, I eventually opened the door lock with the aide of a small screwdriver through the key eyelet. ( this is well exercised now ).

This could effect all XT-5 and T180 owner, exercise your mechanical door locks, or they could seize up on you and with a flat Battery in you fob or car there is no other way into your car.

My son civic has the same problem and he disarms the alarm system when he goes on holiday.

Cheers Jim

My son civic has the same problem and he disarms the alarm system when he goes on holiday.

Cheers Jim

Sort off defeating the object of an alarm ;) ;) Surely your want your car parked where you left it before going on holiday....

I would do what Bothy suggested..place the Battery on a trickle charger..

Cheers Jim

Sort off defeating the object of an alarm ;) ;) Surely your want your car parked where you left it before going on holiday....

I would do what Bothy suggested..place the Battery on a trickle charger..

Don't double lock it as this was the first time I double locked and turn the mirrors inward , had no problems with the Battery last year.

Nobody in their right mind would steal a civic !

I have a RAV XTR 2.0.

My problem is that each time I go abroad on holiday (max 2 weeks) I return home to a flat battery. It happens so often that I'm almost on first name terms with the local RAC patrolman! <_<

Despite having a new battery fitted under warranty 18 months ago, the problem persists.

RAC mechanics have said that they suspect something must be draining the battery but my local Toyota dealer insists that they can find nothing wrong and I should, more or less, expect a flat battery after leaving the car for two weeks.

ravioli

Happened to me all the time - RAC say the Battery is faulty, Toyota tests say it is fine. I had a new Battery as well and same thing.

I think it is just the current drain on alarm system is such that a weeks non-use will take it over the edge of being able to start the car.

My suggestion to you is to buy one of the little solar-panel trickle chargers that you typically plug into the cigar lighter and leave on the dashboard - costs about £20-£30 I think, but should provide the same amount of charge as the alarm uses.

Here is an example of one http://www.selectsolar.co.uk/pics/1W%20Trickle%20charger.php - not recommending this over another one or another supplier - just an example!!

All good info above but it should be fixable by a decent auto electrician. Perhaps you could disconnect the Battery while you go on hols then look one up when you get back.

He will measure the discharge on the Battery then go through the various circuits to see where it is discharging to.

Enjoy your hols!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links