Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

My Review: Blitz Panel Filter

nrgizerbunny

Just thought i'd do a review for those people thinking about changing their air filters.

I'm not a great fan of the typhoon kit as a) it invalidates my insurance and B) sucks in rather hot air!. Hence i opted for a bolt in filter.

I got my filter off eBay but it actually came from envy, turned up and 2 minutes to fit. My old one was full of cack and in true honoured toyota fashion they only hoover it on a service. So after 20k, my car got a new filter. Put it in and the difference was immediately noticable, engine sounded much more throaty, only issue is i don't have anything to compare it too so i don't know how throat a "clean" OEM filter would be.

There are a few things to note, the Denso filter that comes with the car is a sort of paper type filter, the Blitz filter is more like a foam type filter. Based on some rather unscientific engineering, if the airflow gets better it inevitably means that filtration drops slightly. So i supsect the blitz filter probably has bigger holes in it!

Performance wise, i've had it in for 2k now so i can give a decent review of it. At low RPM there is very little if any difference to the old filter. In lift there is definitely a difference - not a big one but its noticable. Other thing is fuel economy. I haven't driven the car any differently, previously i was getting 28mpg, now i get 29.6MPG. This is based on carputer GPS mileage not off the odometer! so its EXACT!

Would I recommend it?

Well for £30 i'd probably say yes, an OEM filter is £24 from your local stealer so for an extra £6 to give you the extra power i'd say it probably was.

blitz-lm-panel.jpg

when the car is moving the cold air is passing over the engine hence taking the hot air away, this has been said many times on here, also the cold air feed to the old air box travels the cold air to same place still.

I dont wish to cause an argument but, i have 2 cold air feed pipes running into the Typhoon and its keeps it cool unless the car is stationary. Prior to the pipes the Typhoon was always warm, now its always cool rather than cold. However i do expect this to change as the weather cools.

I can't see how any Air Kit won't be pulling warm air in as the engine is so hot and the manifiold so close to the throttle body, also the grill is enclosed by the radiator so the only source of cold air is the small blow hole in the inner wing.

i'd agree with cabcurtains. the engine is flipping hot, if you are suckin in air from that general area, i would have thought the air would be at a higher temperature than the stock air intake.

the engine is so hot and the manifiold so close to the throttle body, also the grill is enclosed by the radiator so the only source of cold air is the small blow hole in the inner wing

i was surprised by the design when i first saw it witht he low TB! i was wondering where the TB was when i opened the bonnet on the first t sport i saw! must make getting to the injectors difficult? on ym last car the TB was at the top/back of the engine well away from the manifold i would have thought this much more conducive for lower intake air temps.

strange for a "racing" engine?

TB at the front because of space and the shape of the intake manifold, there is a reason why you have that big fat intake manifold, its so the engine can take a nice big gulp of air, volumetric efficiency and what now , exhaust at the rear because its less restrictive to the flow of the exhaust gasses which is what you need for a small high revving high bhp engine.

Can you wash that filter?

the exhaust manifold is at the front through? or did you mean it would be better at the back?

the exhaust manifold is at the front through? or did you mean it would be better at the back?

No the exhaust manifold on the 2zzge is at the back. Inlet manifold is at the front

No the exhaust manifold on the 2zzge is at the back. Inlet manifold is at the front

I dont wish to cause an argument but, i have 2 cold air feed pipes running into the Typhoon and its keeps it cool unless the car is stationary. Prior to the pipes the Typhoon was always warm, now its always cool rather than cold. However i do expect this to change as the weather cools.

I can't see how any Air Kit won't be pulling warm air in as the engine is so hot and the manifiold so close to the throttle body, also the grill is enclosed by the radiator so the only source of cold air is the small blow hole in the inner wing.

unless you get a heat sheild or something for the filters, or an arc air box which 'stores' the cold air when at stand still.

the engine is so hot and the manifiold so close to the throttle body, also the grill is enclosed by the radiator so the only source of cold air is the small blow hole in the inner wing

i was surprised by the design when i first saw it witht he low TB! i was wondering where the TB was when i opened the bonnet on the first t sport i saw! must make getting to the injectors difficult? on ym last car the TB was at the top/back of the engine well away from the manifold i would have thought this much more conducive for lower intake air temps.

im not sure where exactly the TB is on a E12 but my guess is that it is low beause the air would be cooler down there, and as the car is travelling the air would blow the hot air from front of the engine bay to the back if it, perhaps :g:

im not sure where exactly the TB is on a E12 but my guess is that it is low beause the air would be cooler down there, and as the car is travelling the air would blow the hot air from front of the engine bay to the back if it, perhaps :g:

i'm gonna cry!

the heat is an issue especially on the levin which is why many people opt for a panel filter and keep the air box, after all it is there for a reason (??), and sucking in warm air would loose you power!

I got a apexi filter in mine, not by choise as the car came with it, and it has 2 cold air feed pointing at it! and to behonest the engine does get very hot and im sure the reason why it could be a bit 'sluggish' off the mark is because it is suckin in the hot air while still, but after about 1-2 sec the car just goes like stink! :)

either that or the car has a slightly blocked up air sensor or somehting!

i'm gonna cry!

please dont.

i mistook the intake manifold for the exhaust header /Noob!!

well im sure when the car gets moving its only sucking cold air in because since i got the typhoon i have felt gains for definate, if it was sucking hot air in would i have seen these gains ? i think not !

When i first fitted mine there was a definite improvement in torque at all speeds and lift felt harder, however i would guess the more cold air the better, as all cars are quicker when its cold and the air is denser :thumbsup:

I am off for a drive in the North Pole see ya later folks :lol:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links