Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Rav 4 Electric Window Operation Question

kevin65

My wife is concerned about the apparent lack of an auto drop mechanism on the passenger windows of her Rav 4 (purchased Jan 08). From looking at the manual the drivers window is the only one with a one touch open/close feature and when there is an obstruction during the window going up it immediately drops back down. However the other windows require you to keep you finger on the button to raise/lower. If you are raising one of the passenger windows and an obstruction is placed in the window space it will just get sliced by the window (celery and carrot used by the wife in her 'experiment').

From looking at the owners manual the auto-drop is available on the drivers window, with the isolation switch being in place as the safety mechanism for the passenger windows. She is concerned that one of the kids might have their hands in the window when she is raising it, but again the manual warns the owner to be vigilant about these things.

Are the windows operating as intended?

My wife is concerned about the apparent lack of an auto drop mechanism on the passenger windows of her Rav 4 (purchased Jan 08). From looking at the manual the drivers window is the only one with a one touch open/close feature and when there is an obstruction during the window going up it immediately drops back down. However the other windows require you to keep you finger on the button to raise/lower. If you are raising one of the passenger windows and an obstruction is placed in the window space it will just get sliced by the window (celery and carrot used by the wife in her 'experiment').

From looking at the owners manual the auto-drop is available on the drivers window, with the isolation switch being in place as the safety mechanism for the passenger windows. She is concerned that one of the kids might have their hands in the window when she is raising it, but again the manual warns the owner to be vigilant about these things.

Are the windows operating as intended?

Hello and welcome to this foriii.

I note that you are in Ireland. From your post, youz bought a RAV early this year. Was this a new RAV or just new to you? Are you sure it was a RAV and not a mobile guillotine? The Campaign to Re-locate Adolescent People (crap) is unfortunately rife throughout Europe. Since 1994, RAV4s have been fitted with a fiercely ascending drivers door window - 1 touch and the thing runs up regardless of whats in its path. On mine, the passengers window goes up and down accompanied by a screeching as if the very soul is being ripped from the car. The drivers window slides up and down without a murmur.

I carry a hefty instrument behind the drivers seat to be able to react in emergencies to such horrible occurrence as the window shutting on my fathers heid. Or anybody elses. This is to ensure that the window does its job. Shut.

There are movement sensors etc which are fitted to lift doors; revolving doors in shops; and similar public-available devices. They don't work very well either if you have ever been caught by a rampant lift door. I'd imagine that if you are lucky enough to have a vehicle with a similar device, that it is also equally inefficient. Best to warn the kids; the mother-in-law and the rest of the family you love to keep fingers and necks away from the door window. Place a sign on each window to ensure you don't incur the usual litigation etc!!

How's the Aygo?

signed

Oor Wullie

I don't know how well celery or carrot would survive in the drivers window.

In answer to your question the auto trap feature is only on the driver window. It is really a feature of the "auto up" function where the window travels without operation by the switch and is therefor seen as a risk. Cars like BMWs and Audis have anti trap on all auto up windows but Toyota assume that the operator would just not operate the window to the degree of trapping themselves. Risky for kids maybe?

The sunroof also has anti trap feature.

Both the driver window and the sunroof will operate for 45 seconds after the key has been removed providing the door has not been opened. As both motors include an onboard ECU to control opening limits and anti-jam, they can both be reset if they become "out of phase" and fail to open or close properly.

Yes, it would seem stupid for someone to hold down the window switch and trap themselves(maybe an idea for one of those crazy japanese shows on TV?), but the potential risk that my wife sees is where she is putting up one of the back passenger windows and one of the kids puts their fingers/hand/head into the opening while the window is on the way up.

When I went in to collect the Aygo on Friday the salesman confirmed what I had read in the user manual, this is just the way the windows are, so she needs to keep the passenger windows locked from use to keep them up and be vigilant when the kids are in the back.

Don't have to worry about this on the Aygo, impossible to get your head stuck in a pop out window(isn't it?).

Don't forget she can isolate the other three windows from the driver switch panel.

Cheers

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links