Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Unsual Smoke From Exhaust

noypi

hi, guys i'm hoping somebody can help me pinpoint of what causing white thick smoke coming out from my 2.4surf which started 2 days ago. it was severe smoke during the morning during warm up and after I drove off it tends to disappear afterwhile. I hope its not the deffective head on 2.4 engine. Hope to hear from u guys soon ..thanks

How is the motor running apart from the smoke, has it got colder out there and also is the motor losing water from the rad.

How is the motor running apart from the smoke, has it got colder out there and also is the motor losing water from the rad.

first of all, thanks for giving attention on to this. Yes, a bit chilly that firts morning that noticed it, but earlier , I run the motor for good 3-4 minutes about 6 pm and it was a warn sunny day all day and it was smoke free till i reached home and that's 10minutes drive. turn the engine off but after maybe 15 minutes i turn the engine back on to clear the way for my brother there comes the smoke again, is not as thick as in the morning though.about lossing water in the rad.,ived just check the reservoir it was in the lower level so i top it up to check later on.My friend ,sorry i don't know what do you mean about the motor running apart from the engine. if u could make it simple for me ...thanks again

Over here we call the car/hilux 'the motor'... how is she running in general?

hi there,

runs perfectly fine .nothing chage except for the smoke. thanks

White smoke can be water that is getting in due to a cracked head, also can be unburnt fuel, but you need to check if the water is low in the rad and not only the overflow tank, might be worth getting a new rad pressure cap and thermostat first.

White smoke can be water that is getting in due to a cracked head, also can be unburnt fuel, but you need to check if the water is low in the rad and not only the overflow tank, might be worth getting a new rad pressure cap and thermostat first.

I'll try to change the rad pre cap and the thermostat this weekend and see what happen. By the way, what is the best way to check the water level in the rad?.. and if the head was cracked , how much I'm looking at to replace it with the 3 L head that's for parts and labor. just to give me and idea. and also, is this problem needs to be corrected right away ?.. thanks

• 2 weeks later...

I'll try to change the rad pre cap and the thermostat this weekend and see what happen. By the way, what is the best way to check the water level in the rad?.. and if the head was cracked , how much I'm looking at to replace it with the 3 L head that's for parts and labor. just to give me and idea. and also, is this problem needs to be corrected right away ?.. thanks

Hi Noypi and welcome

I had a similar problem to what you are describing a few months back.

What i thought was white smoke turned out to be steam and caused by a hairline crack in the cylinder head.

You won't be able to swap your head for a 3.0l as they are very different. As long as you get the new upgraded head for a replacement you shouldn't get anymore problems with it. Regular checks/maintenance is the way to go as these motors like a lot of TLC.

Cant help with the price as canadian dollars are pretty worthless over here,,,,In UK sterling you will be looking at somewhere around £750-£1000 for someone to supply the head + ancillaries and replace it for you

Cheers

Paul

P.S. My 3.0l replacement head and fitting cost me a little over £1400

hi guys.. I have my truck check by a mechanic 3 days ago and yes it was a cracked head. he told me, that he work on 3 surf last year and 2 prado so far this year. he showed me the price for those previous work and they were about 4000 canadian $that includes timing belt ,pulleys, water pump cam and crank seals, but i have those service done on mine 4mos. back. for head job plus parts , he quoted me 2800 and he give me an option to get the parts my self and just pay off the labor. that works better for me . I'll pick the parts tommorrow 2.8 l upgrade head gasket set and I'm booked for next friday . One question, how many head bolts are in there?.thanks for all your input .I can;t wait this issue to get over with but glad that there's a site and nice people willing help out... cheers..

You should have 18 head bolts

Good luck with the re-build

Cheers

Paul

P.S. It might be worth your while signing up to the forum on www.hiluxsurf.co.uk as the have hundreds of members and answers will come back to you within minutes.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links