Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Clutch Problems

David444

Hi Everyone.

I just got my Avensis 1.8 Estate 2001 and have found the clutch pedal to be very hard work.

Its hard to push down and really spongy. Also the bite is right at the bottom which sometimes causes gear crunches if you dont press hard enough.

Has anyone had this problem, and do you know of a cure to make driving easier.

Many Thanks.

David and his aching foot.

Hi Everyone.

I just got my Avensis 1.8 Estate 2001 and have found the clutch pedal to be very hard work.

Its hard to push down and really spongy. Also the bite is right at the bottom which sometimes causes gear crunches if you dont press hard enough.

Many Thanks.

Hi Dave,

I am suffering at the moment from a faulty (hopefully, as ti might be far worse) slave cylinder. Before it failed, my clutch was also rather stif and creaky. I hope you would not have the same but it might be a good idea to go and check with a decent garage.

I myself am trying to sort it out with Toyota as it turned out that in a garage they asked me to pay three hours labour when this could be done for half an hour by an expert.

Cheers.

The Avensis master cylinders were modified, the new cylinders had a better internal coating to stop corrosion forming. The stiff/creaky pedal may well be the master cylinder, it needs a little investigation

Kingo :thumbsup:

Hi Everyone.

Many Thanks.

hi for sure this case must be investigated.

in case the internal lining surface of the master or slave cylinders got rusted then both piston seals are being worn resulting brake liquid pressure drop.

I would change the slave cylinder first. do not forget to have an air escaped from the hydr system.

good luck

Igor

The Avensis master cylinders were modified, the new cylinders had a better internal coating to stop corrosion forming. The stiff/creaky pedal may well be the master cylinder, it needs a little investigation

Kingo :thumbsup:

The car is at Lindop in Queensferry so I hope it will be fine.

Cheers.

Hello and thanks for your replies.

Very good tips thank you..

I will have my local garage take a look at it for me.

Trouble is.... Can we trust them to be true or pay the price and take it to Toyota!!!!

Thanks again.

I will update later.

David444.

Trouble is.... Can we trust them to be true or pay the price and take it to Toyota!!!!

Thanks again.

I will update later.

David444.

I had my car in a garage and they charged me £ 67/hour. At Toyota it is around £74 but the difference in expertise is immense (at least at Queensferry where I go).

Unless the labour cost is signficantly cheaper I do not see the point going to other garage.

Cheers.

Thanks again.

I will update later.

David444.

hi

i had bad experience with my previous car with private garage.

I do not recomend to play with your safety -- do not risk and attend MrT.

cheers/Igor

• 3 weeks later...

Hi David,

My Avensis is exhibiting the same symptoms as you describe, what did the garage diagnose when they took a look at it?

Cheers

• 2 months later...

Hi, I've just bought a '03 1.8vvti T4 and this has the same squeeky clutch pedal that feels spongy. What was the outcome of yours, and have you solved the problem?

Hi, I've just bought a '03 1.8vvti T4 and this has the same squeeky clutch pedal that feels spongy. What was the outcome of yours, and have you solved the problem?

hi guys,

sorry to jump in, but i've just posted on a seperate thread the same problem...i would be very grateful if someone could help me as otherwise i'm gonna get rid of this car:-

hi there,

this is my 1st post, so please bear with me whilst i tell you my problems.

i have just bought a toyota avensis 2.0 d4d (late 2004 model). Since i used to own a petrol car, i thought that this car was stalling due to me not being used to its clutch biting-point as its a diesel. But now that i've had it for a few weeks, i still keep stalling the car and the clutch is extremely heavy. In fact the clutch is so heavy that after 10 mins of use, my leg is extremely tired.

Now i know people here will say that a heavy clutch is normal for the avensis, but why does it keep stalling as i move off?

Also i have heard that if you change a few things, such as the cylinders and sensors, the clutch becomes extremely light...is there a way of doing such a thing or am i stuck with a heavy clutch?

thanks for your help

"very stiff & spongy"............. You sure your not talking about something else................LOL!!!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links