Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Forward Facing Child Seats

kalamath

I do hope some of you good people can help me. I am trying to source a car seat that will fit in the back of my wife's RAV4. 2003 5 door.

Ok - I have checked everything out myself and settled on the Recaro seat - good seat. When tried to have it fitted - was told it suffered from 'Buckle Crunch' - OK worked out what that was.

The problem seems to be the RAV's mounting point (buckle) is too long and rather than sitting in the seat sits proud of the seat and interferes with the child seat.

Does anyone know of an after market replacment buckle that is not as long. TOYOTA do not do them so I am a bit stuffed as many other car seat have the same problem and we are having to choose from a much smaller range than I would like.

Any help or info greatfully received.

Alasdair

Alasdair,

We use a Britax Evolva 1-2-3 in the back of our RAV 4.3, with no problems at all (buckle crunch or anything else). :thumbsup:

Link to Britax Evolva 1-2-3 here.

Not exactly sure it will fit your 4.2 RAV but well worth a try, it's a good seat, that my lad has always been comfortable in. :thumbsup:

My 2003 has ISO-fix, which means I don't need to fasten the seat with a buckle. It can be worth checking for ISO-fix, as it is a very convenient way to mount the seat.

My 2003 has ISO-fix, which means I don't need to fasten the seat with a buckle. It can be worth checking for ISO-fix, as it is a very convenient way to mount the seat.

Oh yes :yes: ISOfix is the way to go for Group 0 and Group 1 small children.

And I notice now there is ISOfit for Group 2 and Group 3 older children. Is that new? Don't remember seeing that a couple of years ago. :unsure:

Anyway ISOfit only secures the seat, you still need to use the seat belt to secure the child.

Good luck and good hunting! :thumbsup:

Oh yes :yes: ISOfix is the way to go for Group 0 and Group 1 small children.

And I notice now there is ISOfit for Group 2 and Group 3 older children. Is that new? Don't remember seeing that a couple of years ago. :unsure:

Anyway ISOfit only secures the seat, you still need to use the seat belt to secure the child.

Good luck and good hunting! :thumbsup:

We have a Mothercare one for our two-and-a-half-year-old granddaughter which is fine once you get the knack of fitting it. Actually she finds it easier than I do and regularly gives me instruction. The belt in the RAV is long enough for the job but there is little spare during the fitting process.

Seems to be comfortable for the occupant as well. She seems quiet happy doing 100-150 miles at a stretch.

Lo...

We have the Britax 1-2-3 Evolva... just like Fujs' its a pain to fit but it is a goodn, furhter to that we have a Mamas and Papas system (aint got the foggiest what its called) but its really easy to fit and we also managed to fit in another Mamas and Papas rear facing system which came with the buggy we bought (Mamas n Papas pramette - wicked pram if you only have one littlen... if you have 2 then I suggest the new Phill and Teds Vibe double stroller... :thumbsup: ) all fit snuggly on the back seat... Once the we'en is out of the rear facing one we might try and get another Britax 1-2-3 but will wait for now as they aint that cheap and I think she might be more comfy when she's about 1.5 to 2 years old... only 6months at present...

However if I recall the time when I was looking at the Rav 4.3 and 4.2 I believe that the rear seat was'nt bench like, like the 4.3... and that the seats in the back are slightly indented... so dont know what the base of the infant seats would be like... So after all this I dont really know if I have actually helped you out at all... :blink:

Guess I should get back to work....

Regards

Rob

B)

You guys are wasting the we'ens

I got thrown intae the back o a Humber hawk in my youth; or an Austin Devon - before airbags were known as anything else but airships!!!!

When I was fathering, I invested in some high quality polypropolene rope and an ice-axe. It worked in the old Volvo estate we had as the brakes didn't work and the seats for the we'ens were rear facing. Just tied their ankles to the rear boot handle.....worked a treat and they are still alive today!

The ice-axe ? Just for protection!

Lo...

We have the Britax 1-2-3 Evolva... just like Fujs' its a pain to fit but it is a goodn, furhter to that we have a Mamas and Papas system (aint got the foggiest what its called) but its really easy to fit and we also managed to fit in another Mamas and Papas rear facing system which came with the buggy we bought (Mamas n Papas pramette - wicked pram if you only have one littlen... if you have 2 then I suggest the new Phill and Teds Vibe double stroller... :thumbsup: ) all fit snuggly on the back seat... Once the we'en is out of the rear facing one we might try and get another Britax 1-2-3 but will wait for now as they aint that cheap and I think she might be more comfy when she's about 1.5 to 2 years old... only 6months at present...

However if I recall the time when I was looking at the Rav 4.3 and 4.2 I believe that the rear seat was'nt bench like, like the 4.3... and that the seats in the back are slightly indented... so dont know what the base of the infant seats would be like... So after all this I dont really know if I have actually helped you out at all... :blink:

Guess I should get back to work....

Regards

Rob

B)

Rob,

Is your child that is using the Evolva, still using the built-in harness? IE You have the car's seat belts threaded around the back of the seat - then yes it is a bit involved to do.

My lad is now to big for the harness and is just using the seat belt across the front (through the slots etc.) holding him and the seat, a lot easier! :thumbsup:

Before, you get another Evolva 1-2-3 have a look at the Evolva 2-3, it is "ISOfit" so uses the ISOfix attachments in the car to hold the seat and then it is just the seat belts to hold the child. They are roughly about £100 each.

I can't remember see these when I bought the 1-2-3 or I might have picked one of these. :rolleyes:

Link to Evolva 2-3 here.

:thumbsup:

Cheers Fuj... :)

Nope my littlen is still too wee so still uses the harness - he's only 2.5 years old... As for the other one... we would have issues I think with getting 3 seats in the back if I use the ISOfix ones as the slots for those are pretty much central to the seat itself whereas when I have 3 in the back they all kinda squeeze in nicely...

As to Bothers entry... Yep I remember those days when me mum put me life at risk... not only by letting me sit in the middle of the rear seat but also driving like a maniac... :lol: But in those days all the PC guys :angry: started to come out their clossets and some guys who thought the infant seat industry needed a boost started to think about business improvement plans and whats better than making something Legal to boost sales...... ho hum...

Regards

Rob

B)

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links