Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Prius Alloy Wheels Deterioration

carlos67

Hi guys!

Had my "new" 2005 T-Spirit now for a few days and have found to my horror that the alloy wheels are bubbling due to corrosion setting in. Problem is that the 3 year Toyota mfrs warranty expired about 6 weeks ago. I was wondering if I took it to Toyota and asked them, as a gesture of goodwill, if they would either replace the alloys (all of em) or at least give me a say 50% discount on a new set. Am i in dreamworld or is there a chance of success as you guys know more about how generous Mr T is or isn't.

If one local dealer says nope, is it worth trying a few more local Toyota dealers to increase my chances of a hit?

My intention is to ask to speak to the service manager straight of the bat.

Cheers for any advice offered.

Carlos

Hi guys!

Had my "new" 2005 T-Spirit now for a few days and have found to my horror that the alloy wheels are bubbling due to corrosion setting in. Problem is that the 3 year Toyota mfrs warranty expired about 6 weeks ago. I was wondering if I took it to Toyota and asked them, as a gesture of goodwill, if they would either replace the alloys (all of em) or at least give me a say 50% discount on a new set. Am i in dreamworld or is there a chance of success as you guys know more about how generous Mr T is or isn't.

If one local dealer says nope, is it worth trying a few more local Toyota dealers to increase my chances of a hit?

Carlos

It is certainly worth asking.......................you have nothing to loose.........................did you buy your car from the Toyota dealer?

Hi guys!

Carlos

It is certainly worth asking.......................you have nothing to loose.........................did you buy your car from the Toyota dealer?

No. Bought privately. I've only just found out that Toyota recognize it as a problem and replace them without question whilst under warranty. Would it help my case if I offered to take out a 2 year extended warranty??

Hi guys!

Carlos

No. Bought privately. I've only just found out that Toyota recognize it as a problem and replace them without question whilst under warranty. Would it help my case if I offered to take out a 2 year extended warranty??

It might be worth asking at the dealer :thumbsup:

I had all my wheels replaced for the same reason six weeks ago (it's a 2 year old T4 I had bought at auction). It obviously must be a known problem, I had never even noticed they were rusted, the Toyota service manager spotted the problem and insisted all four were replaced. The car was still under warranty though, but I think they'll treat you very fairly. I'm also considering the extended warranty as my car is approaching 60,000 miles and therefore Toyota's warranty will soon expire. In view of the fact the Prius was at the very top of the recent J D Power customer satisfaction/reliability survey, I wondered if it's worth the expense. Good luck with your claim carlos67, let us know how you get on.

***Update***

Went to see the service manager at RRG Toyota Altrincham and he said he would ask Toyota UK to see if they would replace all 4 wheels foc. He said my chances were 50/50. Later that day he got back to me and said Toyota were offering to supply and fit 4 newly refurbished Prius wheels included swapping tyres and balancing for £151. He said if he was me he would snatch their hand off.

Earlier in the day i had got a quote fron another local Toyota dealer for the price to supply and fit 4 brand new Prius alloys. That came to £1340!!!!

So I would say great result. £151 for 4 newly refurbed Prius alloys all-in. Dont forget, the car is 6 weeks out of warranty!

What do you guys think???

Carlos

p.s. car is now booked in to have new set of "boots" next week.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links