Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Replacement Keys

Hoovie

Been a few posts on these and the costs of getting a new one from a Dealer.

I just read this on RAV4World in the 4.2 section (originally posted over 3 years ago!!) and seems like you can bypass the dealer entirely on this process :eek:

Will this work in UK/European RAV4s?

When I bought my Rav4.2, one key was broken. The key fob had a big crack, so that the engine would not start due to bad contact.

When I called my dealer, they could supply the whole thing for about £200. No way! I just went to eBay, bought a key fob without the electronics from china, and just swapped the electronics from the broken key to the new. (And of course got the key filed correctly). Cost me £ 1.50

I talked to some aftermarket key makers, and they could supply a key with electronics, but without remote control. I don't know if they needed some info from Toyota though.

Could you please refer to the thread at rav4world? Seems like you forgot a link...

Could you please refer to the thread at rav4world? Seems like you forgot a link...

Opps! :rolleyes:

RAV4World Thread :)

I see... Should there be a reason why this won't work on european models?

Opps! :rolleyes:

RAV4World Thread :)

I see... Should there be a reason why this won't work on european models?

Just that the way I understand that thread, you can bypass the dealer entirely to get a spare key - INCLUDING ones with the electronics fitted?! - and no one - that I have seen - has picked up on this on the TOC forum :huh: - so wondering if I am reading it right :unsure:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links