Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Where Have All The Drummers Gone ?

dave.m

As the title says, I was at a wedding the other night and if I was paying for the band I would have felt cheated.

At many doo's now the band consists of 2 or 3 members playing guitar and singing to backing music on mini-discs

or whatever. IMHO a good band makes the night and that includes a DRUMMER, maybe even a keyboard player.

Dont think its just down to cost either, if It was and you just want to dance to mini-discs, hire a DJ.

Give the drummers their jobs back !!! Anyone else experienced this ?

As the title says, I was at a wedding the other night and if I was paying for the band I would have felt cheated.

At many doo's now the band consists of 2 or 3 members playing guitar and singing to backing music on mini-discs

or whatever. IMHO a good band makes the night and that includes a DRUMMER, maybe even a keyboard player.

Dont think its just down to cost either, if It was and you just want to dance to mini-discs, hire a DJ.

Give the drummers their jobs back !!! Anyone else experienced this ?

Not seen this, but I would say that is bang out of order - like you say, if that is what they are providing, kick them out and get a DJ.

Quite a lot of the issues are down to Public Liability Insurance. There was a time when any venue had a PLI policy that covered all artists performing there. Now the PLI is down to the artist to arrange. There also used to be something called the "2 in a bar rule" if a group consisted of more than 2 members the venue had to have an entertainment licence otherwise they did not. As well as that any electrical equipment has to have been portable applicance (PAT) tested within the last 12 months to make the insurance policy valid.(I know drummers don't always need amplification but if they do the mics, mixers, amps and Speakers need certification)

Finally there is the price someone is prepared to pay for live entertainment and quite simply, the fewer ways you have to split the fee the more likely it is you will cover your costs.

Sadly, gone are the days when a band could just turn up and play.

I'm a drummer, and I get loads of work! A lot of the problem (along with PLI, and splitting profit) is that people call themselves drummers and when they turn up for a rehearsal, all they can do is hit stuff - loudly. That kind of person is usually self taught, based on their favourite Nirvana / Metallica tracks. While good in some scenarios, its absolutely useless in most - especially the ones that pay well. So drummers that understand music, can read music, and know the signs when in a live scenario then get a bad rep based on the bad ones, and all of a sudden no-one wants to employ us, in favour of a machine that will do what you want when you want it to - all with the press of a few buttons.

I can understand it completely, but as a talented player, it is highly frustrating.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links