Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Abs

Charley

Hi there folks!!!

VERY quick Q. Without looking (cuz am sat at my office desk and not in the car park....and sorry.....I really should know the answer to this!!), but does my car have ABS?

Wheel bearing prob, and apparently if my car has ABS, it's a shed load more expensive to fix.

2000 (X)

GS

998cc

I need to call the mechanic dude back soon so he knows whether to order the part in yet or wait until after I have forked out money on my house move :)

• 2 weeks later...
All Yarii have ABS

OK, so pardon me for being confused for a mo :unsure: but what is the difference in parts all about then??

I had a look at some online specs, and some list ABS, and some don't (the older ones).

Help?!?!?

Not all have ABS.

My 2001 GS doesn't and according to this page( http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/carreviews/us...yota_yaris.html ) and the Equipment lists for the GS on the Parkers website it was made standard in March 2001. So seeing as yours is a 2000, I doubt it will.

I'm don't know if this is true for the Yaris but on other cars I've had with ABS, an "ABS" logo lights up on the instrument displays when the ignition is turned on so that you can see the system is working, so if you don't have one of them again I would presume you haven't got ABS on your car.

Not all have ABS.

My 2001 GS doesn't and according to this page( http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/carreviews/us...yota_yaris.html ) and the Equipment lists for the GS on the Parkers website it was made standard in March 2001. So seeing as yours is a 2000, I doubt it will.

I'm don't know if this is true for the Yaris but on other cars I've had with ABS, an "ABS" logo lights up on the instrument displays when the ignition is turned on so that you can see the system is working, so if you don't have one of them again I would presume you haven't got ABS on your car.

Try slamming the brakes on, at around thirty, on a quiet road. If the pedal judders under your foot, you have ABS, if you skid, you dont!

BTW, no liability accepted if you bin it!

Hi

ALL ABS equipped cars have to have an ABS warning light on the dashboard as r114gta states, it has to light up with the ignition and check the system and then extinguish a few seconds later, so no light no ABS simple as that....

Pete

but does my car have ABS?

2000 (X)

GS

998cc

ABS/EBFD was standard from Feb 2001 May 2003. Unless it was an optional extra from the original buyer then it probably hasn’t got it.

When it’s raining, find one of these private roads that everybody has around their corner that they speed and race on, and hit the brakes (making sure no one is behind you). If you have ABS your wheels won’t lock up and you will still be able to steer the car. You will also feel the brake pedal pulsate under you foot.

:thumbsup:

Try slamming the brakes on, at around thirty, on a quiet road. If the pedal judders under your foot, you have ABS, if you skid, you dont!

When it’s raining, find one of these private roads that everybody has around their corner that they speed and race on, and hit the brakes (making sure no one is behind you). If you have ABS your wheels won’t lock up and you will still be able to steer the car. You will also feel the brake pedal pulsate under you foot.

Hi

Great advice.... drive your car down the road at 30mph and slam the brakes on....... skid off the road and kill someone or damage your car and you will know you don't have ABS

You can sit in a cell (first scenario) or on your settee (second scenario) and dream of driving a car with ABS......

Pete

Great advice.... drive your car down the road at 30mph and slam the brakes on....... skid off the road and kill someone or damage your car and you will know you don't have ABS

The one careful female owner of your car thought they had ABS...

dce0_3.jpg

Obviously they didn’t...!!

:(

T V O R...... very good... made me laugh....

My point is we shouldn't advise anyone to drive like that or you could be sued..... Believe me it will happen in this mamby pamby/wrap everyone in cotton wool/health and safety conscious ridiculous world we now live in..... you have to be careful what you say, even on forums. There are idiots out there who will do it, not on a quiet back road with no one about but down the high street on a Saturday afternoon, then print off this thread and take it to court and say..... "Look he said do it" and come out with that other 21st century classic "IT'S NOT MY FAULT"

Anyway I'm against ABS as if my daughters had had it we wouldn't have got the car and she would be driving around in some old Saxo or Corsa with no woopy cushions to hopefully save her from the almost inevitable first prang.....

Pete

you have to be careful what you say, even on forums. There are idiots out there who will do it, not on a quiet back road with no one about but down the high street on a Saturday afternoon, then print off this thread and take it to court and say..... "Look he said do it" and come out with that other 21st century classic "IT'S NOT MY FAULT"

To the idiots that do what they are told on public forums, print this off and take it to court and tell them I told you so!

“Give me all your money then jump off a cliff”

Doesn’t have quite the same ring to it does it?

Anyway, as I said in my post, find one of these private roads I’m always hearing about where people can speed and race. I’ve been looking for years for one of these magical roads :D

To the idiots that do what they are told on public forums, print this off and take it to court and tell them I told you so!

“Give me all your money then jump off a cliff”

Doesn’t have quite the same ring to it does it?

Anyway, as I said in my post, find one of these private roads I’m always hearing about where people can speed and race. I’ve been looking for years for one of these magical roads :D

Isn't The Mall owned by the Queen.... that must be private..... go on have a go......

Pete

Yeh.... definitely no ABS on my yaris :D mine just likes to skid.

This was crashed before reading this thread i did not try and test this lol... just very wet roads :( She will be back this week, cant wait B) post-62704-1222829848_thumb.jpg

Hi

You can sit in a cell (first scenario) or on your settee (second scenario) and dream of driving a car with ABS......

Pete

You either have a sense of humour by-pass or are a little slow on the uptake... It is obvious both mine and TVOR's remark was with our tongue's firmly in our cheeks! (As is this) I did also state that I would accept no liability if you bin it!

As for dangerous.... How do you think a learner or indeed a veteran driver knows how to stop in an emergency? You guessed it, they find a quiet road, get up to around thirty.... You get the picture? Safety IS the key thing here!

Cheers all.

Re: the logo thing - that's kinda what I figured, but the first reply saying they all had ABS threw me a little.

Thanks all - this means the work on my little motor will cost shed loads more than if it did have ABS!

YAY :)

• 3 weeks later...

From the very first Yaris (Vitz) sold in Japan in 1999, all have ABS.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links