Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Why Did You Buy Your Yaris?

crazyman50000

Had a Renault 5 1.1 Campus. 17 year old (at the time) G reg. Paid £100 for it, then spent about £150 putting it right.

Bad electrics - I had to change 80% of the bulbs on the dashboard. Was really pleased with it though once I got it working. No central locking, manual choke. Engine timing was all to pot so £10 of fuel would do about 40 miles. This was 18 months ago.

Had an 'immobiliser' which was just a trip switch under the steering column that broke the ignition circuitry.

Spend £45 on brake discs and pads, £20 on a new starter motor, £15 on a new tyre.

Back brakes made a grinding noise in a "we're not going to work" way. Heater worked when it wanted to and back then it was winter time. Sometimes it'd stop working but if you bashed the heater control the fan came back in.

Had coloured mirrors and bumpers though and front fog lights.

I later sold it with about 165,000 miles on the clock for £300

Then I bought a R Reg 1998 VW Polo 1.0L for £900 - such step up from the 5 in build quality. Nothing rattled, everything worked - for a while and I watched the clock trip from 99,999 to 100,000 miles. Then it developed a misfire. Spent around £200 replacing the entire ignition system - HT leads, spark plugs were ok, dizzy cap. Still rubbish. I later found out afterwards the coil in fact needed replacing.

I decided I wanted another car. Armed with parkers.co.uk, a list of extras my new car must have, do and be - I set off. Basically I was left with a list of any supermini made after 2000.

6 weeks of comparing features, reviews, opinions, specification sheets, MPG figures, reliability, tax and insurance groups - I was left with a Micra, Yaris or Jazz

Eventually I traded the Polo in for £1,000 for my Yaris.

Now, after all those problems, my Yaris has given me 12 months of trouble free driving and is this experience £5,500 well spent? I think so.

A lot of people say "you could've bought a newer such and such for £5,500 - why a Yaris?!" well I went in with a specification, not a mere want. Yaris ticked all the right boxes, does all the right things and should provide me with many years of no frills motoring - which is what I want.

Just needs a new clutch and it's 60,000 mile service and Ill be chuffed to bits.

A lot of people say "you could've bought a newer such and such for £5,500 - why a Yaris?!" well I went in with a specification, not a mere want. Yaris ticked all the right boxes, does all the right things and should provide me with many years of no frills motoring - which is what I want.

Just needs a new clutch and it's 60,000 mile service and Ill be chuffed to bits.

Good for you, at the end of the day its all about it doing what you want it to do.

Good for you, at the end of the day its all about it doing what you want it to do.

Exactly. I could've got a faster, less reliable car. But I say - a Lambo stuck in the traffic Jam is still only going as fast as the bus it's stuck behind...

I was just following my car "plan". After I passed my test I had a 1.0 Micra, next car I said was going to be another small hatch with a bigger engine. The Yaris was really the only one that matched what I was after - it had to be a Japanese hatch with semi decent performance, and I didn't want a Civic. :lol: If I carry on following the "plan", my next car will be a DC5. :)

Why did I buy my Yaris... because for the past 5 years myex had been raving about how ace they were and how his granny had one. He wasnt really selling it to me!

Well, I had a Corsa and it was my first car. Bright red, M reg. Had it a year and had loads of problems towards the end, and because my job requires me to be in random places whenever I'm neeed I thought I better get something reliable.

Went looking round for one and decided on either a Colt or a Yaris, I tested a Yaris and loevd it instantly, so I bought it in the next ten minutes! I got the 1.5 T-sport and Ive had it almost a yr without a single problem. Its in for its MOT today actually!!

I did have a courtesy car for the day when they wanted to buff out a couple of scratches after I bought it (ladies with handbags sportng lots of stupid buckles round the showrooms should be banned!!) and they gave me an 08 standard little engine Yaris - hated it! put my foot down and it didnt move.

Like above posts I was told I could get a newer car for my money, but I guarantee them I'd get less car for my money!

Down graded from a Clio Sport and Civic type R to a little T Sport yaris, not as quick but pretty much as good fun to drive. It's a B road hoot!

Had a W-Reg Ford KA (the 'luxury' one with air con and cd player) when I passed my test 2 years ago. Loved driving around in it, but the time came for me to get something more reliable and with better safety features (safety was really my main concern). Last weekend picked up by brand new Yaris TR in Decuma Grey - and love it.

Only thing that has been a downer about it so far is the fact that every time I lift the lid to the lower compartment in the boot it scuffs the interior of the car. It's such a tight fit that I can't possibly open it without it scraping :( Has anybody else found this with their Yaris - or is mine faulty?

I realised something today

Granted, I still live at home - but I realised Im 21, not 43.

Im not saying the Yaris is an old persons car, but an S2000 is my dream car and I realised, when else am I EVER going to be in a position to own one. From here, Im likely to leave home, eventually get a wife and kids and a mortgage...and never even sit in my dream car. I shouldn't be toddling round town in a practical car, I should be driving the car I want while I can afford it.

It's only something I think Id regret later in life

"damn why didn't I just get an S2000 while I could instead of driving round in practical cars. Now Ill NEVER be able to own one" and I just think Ill really kick myself for not even trying to make the leap

So I figured by the time Im 25, I want an S2000. Don't get me wrong, the Yaris does what it does well and for a hatchback - I can't fault it. But until Im in the mortgage and kids situation, or financially stuck, or get tired of the S2000s bills, Im saving up!

Though, I have been looking at MX-5's too...

Well i had always had jap cars after a ford fiesta hell :lol:

At the time my daily drive was a 1.3 micra, but i loved the style of the yaris.

i was involved in a big car accident driving one of the cars at work,and i had to have time off.

while i was off my husband took me round dealers as a pick me up,

and i test drove a rolla tsport & the yaris tsport [ sorry rolla folk ]

but i thought there was nothing between them,the rolla looked like an old mans car in its standard form

the yaris it looked sporty, so i had it :D

on the understanding i got it supercharged.

I had nearly 5 years ownership and can not complain about it at all, it was great fun :thumbsup:

Its now sold and i have moved on.

Rallybunny...i now own a DC5 :yes: & dont regret it :yahoo:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links