Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

T180 Turbo Chatter

Mereside

Hi, HELP!

I have a 2008 Rav4 T180 6months old 6k and I am a fastidious owner and mostley drive steady away. I get 37mpg knocking about and have had 39mpg on a run. ie I do not thrash the thing to death. I have a strange noise which sounds like a petrol engine 'pinking' or pre ignition. At 35mph in 4th gear it is most noticable as I accelerate with 1/3 to 1/2 throttle. As the turbo spins up from about 1400rpm the turbo sounds like it is running dry or rattling. It lasts to about 2000rpm then goes off as the engine picks up. I have a good dealer here in West Yorkshire who has had a mechanic with me when he has heard it but cannot say if it is normal or not. They let me try a 57 plate T180 with 9k and it was not present. I have spoken to another T180 driver who did not have the noise. I am going away for 2 weeks in November so will book it in for checking. Whilst I am waiting for this has anyone any similar problem or is it a case of 'they do make that noise its nothing to worry about' :unsure:

Just to clarify, it's not the normal turbo whistle you get when the turbo is spinning up to speed between 1400 - 2000 rpm.

You're talking about a different sound?

Hi, HELP!

I have a 2008 Rav4 T180 6months old 6k and I am a fastidious owner and mostley drive steady away. I get 37mpg knocking about and have had 39mpg on a run. ie I do not thrash the thing to death. I have a strange noise which sounds like a petrol engine 'pinking' or pre ignition. At 35mph in 4th gear it is most noticable as I accelerate with 1/3 to 1/2 throttle. As the turbo spins up from about 1400rpm the turbo sounds like it is running dry or rattling. It lasts to about 2000rpm then goes off as the engine picks up. I have a good dealer here in West Yorkshire who has had a mechanic with me when he has heard it but cannot say if it is normal or not. They let me try a 57 plate T180 with 9k and it was not present. I have spoken to another T180 driver who did not have the noise. I am going away for 2 weeks in November so will book it in for checking. Whilst I am waiting for this has anyone any similar problem or is it a case of 'they do make that noise its nothing to worry about' :unsure:

Hi Mereside,

Mine does the same :)

I think it has something to do with the 5th injector :wacko:

It's certainly a interesting noise :lol:

I've noticed that mine does it less (and it's now quieter) since I've been filling up with BP Ultimate (try a couple of tanks to see if it helps) :thumbsup:

Hope that helps :)

Mine does it with Tesco weasel pee in but stops with BP Ultimate or Shell V Power. Its a horrible dry sound that sounds a bit like somebody sharpening a knife on a step and coincides with the pistons firing.

For best results (where you will notice a difference quickly) let the tank run low before putting decent fuel in. You will be astonished at the difference.

I think there might be one bank left trading if you need a loan but it will be worth it. You get a bit more to the litre to help increase the time the time before your car gets repossesed but then again the last bank will probably collapse before they have time to come after you.

The bank is called the HalinationHSBTSBderbycheshirerockbelongtogordonbeerfund.com

Hi, mine has what I assume is the same noise. Only present when accelerating in 4th or 5th at 30-40 then it goes. Not always noticable.

Mine is 17 months old and has done it from new and, incidentally, I have been using Shell diesel for the past 6 months.

Just to clarify, it's not the normal turbo whistle you get when the turbo is spinning up to speed between 1400 - 2000 rpm.

You're talking about a different sound?

No its not the usual whistle it sounds just like a petrol engine pinking but it is at 1400rpm and then the whistle comes in when up to 2000 ish.

I have used Shell V-power diesel since new. Although 'which'magazine have an article this month about high octane petrol and high cetane diesel (BP) the petrol was worth it but they found no diference with the diesel.

I will change from V-power for a tank or so and see if there is any difference.

Thanks to everyone who replied at least I no longer believe its only mine! :thumbsup:

Mine does it with Tesco weasel pee in but stops with BP Ultimate or Shell V Power. Its a horrible dry sound that sounds a bit like somebody sharpening a knife on a step and coincides with the pistons firing.

For best results (where you will notice a difference quickly) let the tank run low before putting decent fuel in. You will be astonished at the difference.

I think there might be one bank left trading if you need a loan but it will be worth it. You get a bit more to the litre to help increase the time the time before your car gets repossesed but then again the last bank will probably collapse before they have time to come after you.

The bank is called the HalinationHSBTSBderbycheshirerockbelongtogordonbeerfund.com

Its sad that the Halifax are laying off 40000 staff but if one of them is that annoying little coloured bloke off the adverts, it will be justifiable. :lol:

Hi there,

I have just put some regular diesel in to see if it is worse or better.

The man from Halifax is called Howard and no he will not be getting sacked as he went freelance ages ago and no longer works for Halifax. (son works for them and is job hunting) :D

Its sad that the Halifax are laying off 40000 staff but if one of them is that annoying little coloured bloke off the adverts, it will be justifiable. :lol:

He's not small...about 6ft 6" I believe and as mentioned went free lance ages ago, so no worry there......We do a lot of work for some of the Banks......Had an order in on Lehman Brothers the day before they went broke :( :(

Alliance & Leicester may be brought by Santander the Spanish Bank... Bradford and Bingley are not looking too good and a few others a bit shaky.....

He's not small...about 6ft 6" I believe and as mentioned went free lance ages ago, so no worry there......We do a lot of work for some of the Banks......Had an order in on Lehman Brothers the day before they went broke :( :(

Alliance & Leicester may be brought by Santander the Spanish Bank... Bradford and Bingley are not looking too good and a few others a bit shaky.....

Have you got a secretary writing your posts Chatman? your spelling has vastly improved recently, or have you been cloned :g::g:

Have you got a secretary writing your posts Chatman? your spelling has vastly improved recently, or have you been cloned :g::g:

:o :o :o Well she's just returned from Thai Land, so yes now I have :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I have used shell V-power diesel since new. Although 'which'magazine have an article this month about high octane petrol and high cetane diesel (BP) the petrol was worth it but they found no diference with the diesel.

I've used V-Power too, but I didn't find much difference. So I switched to BP Ultimate and I've found an improvement in MPG :thumbsup:

I have used shell V-power diesel since new. Although 'which'magazine have an article this month about high octane petrol and high cetane diesel (BP) the petrol was worth it but they found no diference with the diesel.

I've used V-Power too, but I didn't find much difference. So I switched to BP Ultimate and I've found an improvement in MPG :thumbsup:

I use mainly BP.....for best results....Also see the Blob watch thread on here for results.......Click Here just trawl through some of the banter stuff.....

• 3 weeks later...

Only a quick reply ...

I noticed an odd whistle like noise when slowly accelerating from circa 1400RPM in 4th/5th gear.

It might be the same kind of noise, it might be not.

I will keep observing, I will test different fuels.

If I find something interesting I will report back.

The fuel economy is not great. This worries me. I expected much better economy. Even when I am extremely careful with accelerating I cannot achieve anything better than circa 30-31mpg. It is too early to panic (I only had the car 10 days or so) however I am seriously concerned.

Hi All,

My T180 is booked in for checking whilst I am on holiday (first 2 weeks in Nov) I have tried a K & N free flow filter which is a straight swap and fits in the Toyota box. The only difference I have found is that the engine seems to rev better as though it is breathing better. The turbo chatter is still there and I am still averaging 35-36mpg. I will report back after Toyota has been playing with it. B)

The fuel economy is not great. This worries me. I expected much better economy. Even when I am extremely careful with accelerating I cannot achieve anything better than circa 30-31mpg. It is too early to panic (I only had the car 10 days or so) however I am seriously concerned.

It's a little early to panic! :D

Try to keep below 2k revs and (if you can afford to do so) try some bp ultimate*. My car has 25,300 miles on it how many has yours done?

*I'm not being paid by bp but I've found their fuel to give me the best mpg! :lol:

OK, I will stay cool ... :D

Try to keep below 2k revs and (if you can afford to do so) try some bp ultimate*. My car has 25,300 miles on it how many has yours done?:

I will try BP Ultimate next time I refuel. I read about it in other posts so I will give it a try.

re: mileage, mine did 12,000 miles, all in 12 months, so it is nothing, like a new car ...

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I have now been away and got soem sun, the nice toyota people at Benfield in Wakefield came for a ride in the car to check the noise and have now replaced the entire turbo. The car runs sweet as a nut as it did before and as before the turbo chatter is still there. Its due its first service in 2.5 k and I will let it develop untill then. At least I now know its not the turbo and yes I did check and there is a nice new turbo under the bonnet.

:(

• 2 months later...

:) Okay all the problem has been resolved.

The turbo was replaced,

a cable near the air cleaner was thought to be the culprit with the vibration from the engine making it rattle.....Not

Eureka it was a drive belt which was the problem. They checked the fault on my 10k service ordered the part and fitted it yesterday and it is now silent.

The part number replaced was 90916 W2014 for the belt and

16620 OR010 for the auxilliary tensioner.

I am a happy chappie again!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links