Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Thermostat

ReaperGFX

so after ive been sitting in traffic or after a short journey i can hear my fans kicking in to cool the engine, and i mean a short journey like 5 miles. engine dosent seam to be overheating and the the sumps full of oil. so ive decided to change the thermostat, £40 something pound aswell as the gasket from Mr T and since its getting closer to winter and im changing the coolant anyway it just a may aswell to see what happens.

ive had a quick look under the bonnet and it looks like the thermostat is bolted onto the side of the engine closest to the passenger side.

am i right or is this a harder than what it usually is job on a celica.

I wouldnt change it if it isnt broken.To remove the thermostat,the easyist way is to take off your aux belt and remove the top 12mm bolt from the alternator and slacken off the bottom 14mm bolt so the alternator can drop back so you can see the thermo housing then just remove the 2 10mm nuts.the housing will then come off and just take out.when fitting the new one remember to have the jiggle pin on the thermostat at 12oclock.

so is there a way to tell if its broken without removing it ? and if it isnt the thermostat what would be causing the fans to start up on a short journey (driven normally)

You may have a air blockage,i would drain the system and flush through and refill as per instructions on the underneath of the bonnet before changing the thermostat.whilst the system is empty you could remove the thermostat and test if it is ok by dropping it into a bowl of boiling water from your kettle to see if its opening ok.if it doesnt then replace it.

hope this helps

yeah. ive still got to remove the thermostat to test it so may aswell just replace it at the time, ive got abit of work to do on it anyway.

ordered up a whole set up grooved disks and greenstuff pads from ebc, doing a service probally replace the fuel filter at the same time and flush the engine block. redo coolant for winter.

thanks for the info fazzer

much appreciated

SOUNDS LIKE THE FAN SENSOR IN THE RADIATOR IS SHOT.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links