Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Slapa Is Very Poorly

GIDDLEPIN

Me and my big mouth, posting about my "70k trouble free millage" :rolleyes:

I have had an intermittent problem with what seemed like fuel surging as if it was running on choke and earlier on a CEL brought up 1349 code (the VVTi sensor thing)

After an oil flush then oil& filter change the CEL never reappeared but the intermittent surging continued, I even whipped out the o2 sensors on Sunday and checked the pre-cats, they are still intact and no different from when they were first checked by me four years ago.

I had just filled up with fuel and driven for about three miles when it started to loose power and misfire (No CEL showing)so I limped home (about 3 miles), when I got here there was a bit of smoke coming from the engine bay and when I looked, the cat was glowing cherry red, I don't think its a contamination problem because of the previous fault..........So, I'm now sorting out recovery to Mr T's :(

Watch this space

:o

Oh no, hope it's not too serious/expensive :( .

My first thought whe I read this was the dreaded pre-cats. I'm in two minds about removing them myself and I know you're not a fan of removal.

Keep us up-to-date, I've got my fingers crossed for you Les!

Well, I have not got much understanding of what you said, but regardless of that, hope you get it sorted soon.x

Les,

Life's not fair. After all the help you've given us MR2 owners...and then your much cherished 'Slapa' goes and does the dirty on you!! I've got my fingers crossed for you...

Dave

For the cat to glow red it points to unburnt fuel getting burned in the cat, not good.. the cat can melt and get blocked up... not good. You need to find out what is causing the over fueling or what is causing the fuel to be too rich.. dodgy plug / plug lead, dodgy injector, emission control system, possibly an air control valve that is not functioning properly. Another possibility would be a leaky fuel injector or a faulty fuel pressure regulator.

Converter Meltdown

This is an example of a converter meltdown...

meltdown.jpg

. The converter was super-heated due to a raw fuel condition in the exhaust flow. The excess unburned fuel ignited when it struck the hot ceramic catalyst and drove the temperature far above the normal operating condition of the converter. The ceramic catalyst is unable to with stand the extremely high temperature and begins to melt. The ceramic collapses and the converter is destroyed. The melted ceramic may block the exhaust flow and cause additional damage to the engine. A converter glowing red-hot or evidence of heat discoloration confirm this situation.

The too-rich condition that led to this converter meltdown could be the result of a number of malfunctions including faulty oxygen sensor, an incorrect fuel mixture, worn spark plugs or plug wires, a faulty check valve, incorrect ignition timing, sticking float, faulty fuel injectors, a failed fuel pressure regulator or other ignition malfunctions.

An oxygen sensor failure can lead to incorrect readings of exhaust gasses. The faulty sensor can cause a too-rich or too-lean condition. Too rich and the catalyst can melt down. Too lean and the converter is unable to convert the hydrocarbons into safe elements and may not pass a state inspection.

Lets not even think about the more costly reasons why.

:( :( OOOh Les..thats too bad Slapa is poorly,,i willl send across a bunch of grapes and a bottle of lucosade and hope Slapa makes a quick recovery :lol:

Hope you getit back good as new soon :thumbsup:

Les is away from 3am yesterday to tonight!!!! Driving.....................lorries.

He says Toyota have rung and they cant find what specifically wrong? May even be contamination! So until he can go in to discuss it I guess its on hold :unsure:

Whilst you've been away, Les, I had a quick trawl on the internet and spotted the following amongst the hundreds of hits: http://toyota.justanswer.com/questions/1bk...des-0440-1349-v .

Maybe it could be a faulty camshaft sensor that's causing the problem? Apologies if I'm way off the mark...just trying to help a fellow enthusiasts...who's helped so many of us!

Regards

Dave

Thanks for all the concern people, I must admit it is a bit depressing being without something that has been in my life for the past six years, silly I know but I suppose it is like anything we get attached to.

Latest information………………..They still don’t know :(

02/10/2008

They started it up when the transporter dropped it off and it ran ok for a few minutes then began to misfire.

Diagnostics showed the misfire to be No’s 1 & 4 cylinders.

They swapped the coil packs and injectors but the misfire was still there, they also said that bits of cat where being spat out of the exhaust, I’m not surprised about this as the cat was glowing red hot after driving for about three miles with the badly misfiring engine (My fault :rolleyes: )

03/10/2008

After calling in today on the way home the latest information is that all three O2 sensors are not working and why a CEL hasn’t shown up they still don’t know.

They haven’t ruled out the possibility of contaminated fuel as I had filled up and only driven three miles when the misfire started.

WHAT NOW

They want to replace the O2 sensors and run the engine on fresh fuel to eliminate the contamination possibility; they have agreed to wait until I get a new set of sensors and try it then.

They are aware, as is the company that supplied the fuel; this might result in a claim.

I have ordered the sensors and they should be here next week and I will probably be looking for a cat as soon as I know where the liability lies.

Les :thumbsup:

Here's a picture of the exhaust taken after limping home you can just make out the glow between the cat heat shields with the reflection on the silencer box, it was that hot you can see the smoke coming off the overheated rubber mount. :o

(Yes I know there is a large jubilee clip there, it is stopping a rattle inside the exhaust but that's another story ;) )

glow.jpg

Whilst you've been away, Les, I had a quick trawl on the internet and spotted the following amongst the hundreds of hits: http://toyota.justanswer.com/questions/1bk...des-0440-1349-v .

Maybe it could be a faulty camshaft sensor that's causing the problem? Apologies if I'm way off the mark...just trying to help a fellow enthusiasts...who's helped so many of us!

Regards

Dave

Forgot to mention Dave, they checked the VVTi mechanism etc and all is ok with that :thumbsup:

Didn't you have a contaminated fuel problem a year or so ago Les?

Could it possibly be the sensors are from a faulty batch? I know you've just recently changed all three.

Still got everything crossed for you!

Les...hope your sensors arrive soon...then you can get things moving forward.

Meanwhile, have you thought of nipping down to the garage and taking a sample of fuel from the car's petrol tank? It could help - at a later date - should you find yourself having to pursue the petrol company for the cost of repairs. Just a thought...before some over helpful mechanic drains it off for you and disposes of it!

Dave

Les...hope your sensors arrive soon...then you can get things moving forward.

Meanwhile, have you thought of nipping down to the garage and taking a sample of fuel from the car's petrol tank? It could help - at a later date - should you find yourself having to pursue the petrol company for the cost of repairs. Just a thought...before some over helpful mechanic drains it off for you and disposes of it!

Dave

Thanks Dave :thumbsup:

The one thing I'm trying to find out is whether it is contamination or not :wacko: .

I still haven't got the sensors yet and I have let them know at the garage (John Roe Toyota), they are being very helpful and are letting me replace the sensors when they arrive, according to the repair times on my Auto Data" they are allowed 0.80 of an hour to change one, this would mean at their rates it could be at least £200 to replace the "supplied" sensors!! :eek: . I know for a fact I can do all three in under ten minutes. :yes:

As far as draining the tank is concerned, they would only do that if instructed and that in itself costs £400+ (I know from experience), that's why I need confirmation from the petrol supplier that there is no contamination and I will leave the full tank of fuel (only did the six miles from filling up) in the car, on their head be it if I only get a few miles down the road again, I'm willing to take this risk because if I have to pay for these repairs and it fails again, they will be responsible for those as well as future repair costs.

Les

Thanks for the update Les...all makes sense.

Good to know the garage is "helping out" by letting you fit the new sensors yourself...now that's what I call a Customer Focused service team!! Other Toyota garages take note!

I still haven't got the sensors yet and I have let them know at the garage (John Roe Toyota), they are being very helpful and are letting me replace the sensors when they arrive, according to the repair times on my Auto Data" they are allowed 0.80 of an hour to change one, this would mean at their rates it could be at least £200 to replace the "supplied" sensors!! :eek: . I know for a fact I can do all three in under ten minutes. :yes: Les

I bet getting those sensors out will be a quarter of the job it was the first time round!! O2 sensor socket at the ready!!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links