Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Start Button

T-bar

Hi guys,

I'm thinking of attempting to 'retro fit' a start button from the Toyota range, like this one:

post-6837-1207314514.jpg

I understand the function is similar to:

Normally there is no light on the starter button (1). Press it once or twice and you get the typical ignition I or II positions and the light glows amber (2). Press the clutch and the light glows green (3), the start button will then start the car.

I plan on using a output from the immobiliser to unlock the steering collumn & enable the ignition to be turned on (using the above method) via a timed relay so that if the button is not pressed/or the engine not started the immobiliser relocks everything.

My question is this; are there any wiring diagrams available for the start/stop button system? Or a pinout of the button itself? I'm not really bothered which Toyota the diagrams come from as i suspect they all use a similar system?

Many thanks

R

The way I read your idea, I would be very worried with the steering lock engaging while driving should electrical power be lost (fuse/bad connection/relay fault) - consequences of that ..... not good!

Anyway, isn't the steering lock a mechanical lock?

I fail to understand why you want to fit such a button.... my key works just fine and I would hate to want to mess about with the wiring in such a way that may cause problems.

The steering lock is indeed a mechanical one so it is highly unlikely you could fit a solenoid that would release this for you.

Stay with the old fashioned key until you buy a car that has a button fitted as standard.

the lock is not a issue, renaults have used solenoid locks for years. If the power failed, the lock just would not lock, in the same way the centeral locking doesn't just lock when power is removed.

IT was a general quiry really, I have a s2000 button on another of my cars & for this one I wanted something that is less obvious, when I read about what it also did I quite like the idea.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links