Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Rav 4.2 Towbar Help

nattyboy

Im after a removable towbar for my 4.2.

I ordered a westfalia on recommendation from my neighbour but my dealer gave me a thule/Brink one as he said the westfalia was out fo stock.

Before I destroy the shrinkwrap does anyone have any experience of the brink (recently aquired by thule) item - the guy i ordered it from says its as good as the westfalia but I cant find any prices to compare with (I paid £200 complete)

many thanks

nat

Hi Nat - The Brink is actually the same as the Toyota one (Toyota rebadge it).

I have the Brink Towbar (bought from Towequipe a coupke of years ago). I only use it to tow a small 'garden' trailer, but is is a VERY solid bit of kit and has the bonus that you can still fit the Rear Bar or Rear Step as it uses identical mounting plates (I ended up with about 20Kg of redundant metal plates :rolleyes: ). Some of the other towbars don't allow this.

Sorry, I can't recall how much I paid,but £200 seems pretty reasonable - not the very cheapest price, but not a ripoff either IMO.

Cheers mate ! Thats good to know.

Im particularly interested in your comments about the step as I would like to get that to match the sides. Is yours the fixed ball or detachable ball ?

Cheers

Nat

There are quite a few posts about towbars that are worth ploughing through as there are a few considerations. I also posted some pics of mine from the rear and the side showing the towbar and rear chrome bar together.

Brief summary of my own selection.... Went for Brinks so I could keep rear chrome bar - as a bonus, the bar does a neat job of hiding the very substantial towbar mounting bar :thumbsup:

I went for detatchable - Brinks do two versions of this;

One is higher and stops the rear door opening when bar is in place (this is the version Toyota OEM, I understand);

The other has the ball 20mm lower and allows the rear door to open when bar is still in place. This is more convienient, obviously, but means the tow height is really at its minimum and larger trailers and caravans could have issues - members who tow "proper" 'vans and trailers can comment far more expertly then me. The type of trailer I have it makes no difference as it is so small.

PS - which the hitch on the ball, the rear door will never open no matter what towbar is fitted.

Im just towing a motorcycle trailer so lower height is fine (when I get my race bike to tracks and the trailer is unhitched I need frequent access to my tools in the back so this is a key coinsideration - glad you pointed it out Hoovie !)

Nat

I had Toyota fit the towbar before delivery in 1994. The rear step was also fitted (which subsequently rotted away and replaced recently with a stainless steel job). I find the electric socket awkward to access, but the door opens over the ball. And yes the door won't open with anything attached. The tow height I never had a problem with, even with pulling car transporter trailers.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links