Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Binding Handbrake

ScottyBlue

When I release the handbrake on my 2002 D4D 3 door 4.2, the brake on the offside rear wheel seems to drag initially before releasing after half a mile or so. Use of the footbrake does not result in binding.

I jacked it up to have a look at the caliper but the handbrake cable doesn't appear to be connected to the caliper as it has been on every other car I have owned. Can somebody please explain the operation of the RAV4.2 handbrake and how I should check/repair it?

(Looking at the Haynes website, I see that there is no manual for the 2002 model, but there is one for the 2004-2006 model. Is there much difference and would it be worth getting one anyway?)

Any help/advice appreciated.

The handbrake shoes run inside the rear disc, there is a lever running through the backplate to operate the shoes. I would strip off the rear disc and check the shoes for wear or cr*p that might have built up inside the disc

HANDBRAKE SHOES

183996779_o.jpg

Kingo :thumbsup:

The handbrake shoes run inside the rear disc, there is a lever running through the backplate to operate the shoes. I would strip off the rear disc and check the shoes for wear or cr*p that might have built up inside the disc

HANDBRAKE SHOES

183996779_o.jpg

Kingo :thumbsup:

Thanks Kingo, I wasn't aware that there were separate brake shoes for the handbrake inside the disc. The discs were replaced by my dealer for the MOT recently and they might have dislodged some dirt or something causing the shoes or lever to stick. I'll whip off the discs and have a look as they shouldn't have rusted on yet.

Thanks Kingo, I wasn't aware that there were separate brake shoes for the handbrake inside the disc. The discs were replaced by my dealer for the MOT recently and they might have dislodged some dirt or something causing the shoes or lever to stick. I'll whip off the discs and have a look as they shouldn't have rusted on yet.

Yet? In Aberdeen? By the sea? No - certainly not! Its much too windy up there!! The things probably full of sand from all the dune riding yer doing! :lol:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links