Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Kenwood Double Din Headunit In 2003 Cts

yatesh

Hi All

I've been doing some digging about with regard to replacing original head unit and have come accross this double din head unit by kenwood (DPX-503U):

http://www.justkenwood.co.uk/stock01/dpx503u.asp

or

http://www.bassjunkies.com/index.php?pid=3...b46b422b616bb8d

Few Questions to people in the know:

1. It is said that this unit comes with a ISO adaptor. I remember reading that this is needed for fitment to corolla but can't recall why?

2. The just kenwood website states that the unit "Can be linked to many factory-fitted remote controls (requires adaptor)"....would this stand true for a 2003 CTS steering wheel controls? If so, does anyone know where this adaptor can be obtained from?

3. Would this be a worthwhile upgrade (power wise) from the original head unit? I will be using original Speakers for now.

I have also found that Kenwood do a fitting kit for the unit into 2003-2007 corolla (Part reference: CAW1300-02):

http://www.justkenwood.co.uk/install/show_model.asp?id=268

Has anyone used this fitting kit and know whether it DEFINITLY fits into Corolla dashboard?

Thanks in advance and I look foward to your replies. ;)

Regards

Yats

1. It is said that this unit comes with a ISO adaptor. I remember reading that this is needed for fitment to corolla but can't recall why?

Because Toyota has there own standard wiring loom, and not compatible with standard ISO looms, so it has to change in order to fit and work.

The big white blocks, next to the right airvent, is part of the car's wiring loom

The black block, just slightly left to and down a bit, is part of the ISO connection, which is what you need to change it too

Wiring_loom_for_my_Alpine_and_rest_of_audio.jpg

2. The just kenwood website states that the unit "Can be linked to many factory-fitted remote controls (requires adaptor)"....would this stand true for a 2003 CTS steering wheel controls? If so, does anyone know where this adaptor can be obtained from?

It is possible to get the steering remote to work with the H/U, but that will take some time to work out.

I've not done this, but i've heard it's possible

3. Would this be a worthwhile upgrade (power wise) from the original head unit? I will be using original speakers for now

Anything is better than the standard H/U, if your willing to lose the few feature it has to offer, such as trip MPG and other stuff

Has anyone used this fitting kit and know whether it DEFINITLY fits into Corolla dashboard?

I've gone for a different approach towards this, so i'm not sure if that fitting kit will work for sure

I've got a spare corolla fitting kit, mine was made by some guys called metra. whichever kit i've bought i've always had to file it ever so slightly to get it to fit. i think that my particular dash has "shrunk" ever so slightly over time, its only 0.5mm of filing but still an irritation. if you want it send me a PM.

as for steering wheel controls. You can interface the corolla fairly straightforward, either buying the relevant adaptor or 10 minutes with a soldering iron and you can make one for about £2-3.

as for steering wheel controls. You can interface the corolla fairly straightforward, either buying the relevant adaptor or 10 minutes with a soldering iron and you can make one for about £2-3.

This sounds interesting... could you please explain how it's done?

you need to get two LM339's, 10 variable resistors and rig up a comparator circuit, then switch from the outputs of the transistors.

Hi Guys

Thanks for your replies. I found this on the kenwood website, so the double din fascia adaptor must work:

http://www.kenwood-electronics.co.uk/WebFi.../CAW1300-02.pdf

I have also found info on this kenwood stalk adaptor:

http://www.kenwood-electronics.co.uk/WebFi.../CAW-TY1290.pdf

The only worrying thing is that it states Corolla Verseo and not Corolla. I'm hoping that this also works with Corolla CTS. I've asked a local car audio supplier to look into it and hopefully source it if it does.

Fingers crossed

Regards

Yats

yatesh, that adaptor is a metra adaptor with a kenwood Badge on it.

i would suggest you buy one off eBay as you can get it for $20USD, compared to £40!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links