Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Induction Kit Bad For The Engine?

superjim42

sooo i went down to my local parts/mechanics dealer to see if i could find anything nice for the interior....

but anyway while i was talking to the guy i mentioned im on the verge of getting an APEXI power intake and he looked at me with this weird look :o

he said buying any sort of induction kit for the car will reduce the engine life of your car by quite abit! :huh: now im aware ragging your engine with an intake for the sound power etc will obviously create extra wear and tear but he said expect some problems further down the line due to the induction! and he recommended i stick with sport backboxes to ensure the engine isnt affected in any direct way.

now i am abit worried now because my corolla is supposed to be long term.

anyone had any problems with inductions? or anything?

i did own a pipercross induction for my peugeot 306 and boy did it f*** up my car causing oil leaks and such cos it was wet filter which required oil to be fed through. and somehow that oil got mixed around with water giving me problems but the APEXI is a dry filter so it should be fine no?

thanks

I've had dry induction kits on loads of cars and none of them have worn the car out, provided its kept cleaned and the rest of the car maintained i will keep risking it.

If the Induction Kit's somehow caused untold damage to an engine i think you'd see quite a few court cases ;)

Out of curiosity does your local guy sell induction kits for the Corolla or just back boxes? :lol:

If the Induction Kit's somehow caused untold damage to an engine i think you'd see quite a few court cases ;)

Out of curiosity does your local guy sell induction kits for the Corolla or just back boxes? :lol:

they dont stock the stuff but they can order backboxes etc. they have mainly accessories, car maintainence stuff, etc. but ye its the first time ive heard it from a dealer telling me to watch out so thats why i was abit alarmed. at first i thought he might be trying to sell me a backbox instead of me gettin an intake but he said if do try getting one of those panel filters. now i have seen another thread about the panel filters so are they better?

but ye since the apexi is a dry filter and as long as it is kept clean shouldnt really cause problems init?

I've had dry induction kits on loads of cars and none of them have worn the car out, provided its kept cleaned and the rest of the car maintained i will keep risking it.

cool cheers i guess fellow memebrs are more creditable than a sales man :lol:

not all members on forums are credible either!

some bolt on filters cause irregular airlow and/or irregular airflow to the air sensor which can cause the car to run rich or lean depending on readings. filter placement and sensor location are vital which is why some hot air intakes come with different piping. the problem we have with the 2zz is a locked out ecu so adjustments cant be made to optimize intake - but with a good intake the stock can compensate but a lot cause irregular airflow which causes the sensor to misrepresent what is really happening. MOST cone filters filter less which can foul sensors leading too false readings but your guy was over emphasising the risks. avoid oiled filters and maintenance is the key - if you are concerned about use go to a dyno or use a data logger before and after.

I've seen filthy/neglected cones quite a few times, i think its common sense that if the filter is caked in cack then its not doing the engine any favours, either through starvation or sucking crap in. The cleaning kits have oil in them so when using these if the instructions arent followed that could be another recipe for disaster.

ok thanks for the replies i guess in a way the dude was right but maybe he meant if you didnt keep the filters cleaned and well maintained then it will casue danger.

apexi power intake is a dry filter and as im aware it doesnt really require too much maintainence right? i mean that comparioson thing from thgat dodgey lookin website says nothing required lol

A'PEXi claim "Zero Maintenance" but the filter will still get dirty over time.

All that's needed tho is a good wash in warm water, a thorough rinse then allowed to dry.

Much easier than having to re-oil the filter ;)

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links