Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Help Me Order A Clutch!

ballist1x

hi, well my clutch has been feeling progressively worse what with all the traffic etc lately around my way. its time for me to stump up some cash and order that exedy stage 1 ive been banging on about!

But i am puzzled and cant work out the part code i should be ordering, and unfortunately the uk exedy site is less than helpful here, hence im ordering from eBay usa!

i know our cars share common parts with the celica GTS and the Matrix XRS in the USA, but are our clutches exactly the same design/fit and spec?

the standard oem clutches are 210mm and 21 teeth @ 1 inch, but the stage one is

215mm (8-1/2in)

Spline Teeth / Major Diameter 21T / 24.1mm

i think it could be this part; http://www.exedyusa.com/race/16800

is it okay that the stage one is a bigger od than the oe? or is that just a trait of stronger clutches? also has anyone ordered this part or a similar exedy clutch and could confirmt he part code that way?

any help appreciated

I can't help with the exedy unfortunately, but I went for the BluePrint one. The clutch action is now silky smooth (shame the same thing can't be said about the gear change though) but it has taken a lot of getting used to as my oe clutch was almost warn out, the pedal had virtually zero travel from fully depressed to stalling before, and now there is a lot of travel to reach the biting point. Very happy with it though as it is a big improvement over what i have been driving with.

all 2zz clutches the same - matrix and gts are fine. warning tho - went to order some things fro the states and when you add shipping they put handling charge on and you think thats the total - then they email you and want another $70 dollors shipping. tried to save money myself that way and the saving is so minimul after everything is added and i've been waiting 2 weeks now for a part so shipping can take forever! wire trasfer the money as well or use a credit card - wire trasfer is suppose to be the safest but visa will always reimburse in the worst case scenario.

I actually ordered a flywheel from the USA which was sold for the Celica GTS and that fits fine. I was lucky enough to actually be over in america on business so it cost be $20 in shipping rather than $140 they had quoted me for shipping it to the UK.

all 2zz clutches the same - matrix and gts are fine. warning tho -

thanks, i emailed gripforce clutches they want 80$ shipping for international which is fine by me, i just hope that i dont get stung by taxes on it! can i ask what you ordered and where you ordered it from?

minimarc, yea that was a good plan to pick it up whilst you were there. let me know how you get on installing it!

minimarc, yea that was a good plan to pick it up whilst you were there. let me know how you get on installing it!

Both the clutch and flywheel are in the car now. As I mentioned earlier, the clutch action itself is very smooth and with the lighter flywheel the engine is very rev happy and the engine "feels" like it coasts a lot more freely now. It's hard to describe as I've probably only done about 70 miles since getting them changed so not had a chance to get used to it all. Certainly the revs jump quicker when I put my foot down. Would you believe it, I haven't managed to hit lift once yet as I haven't been on any roads suitable for it, so I don't want to recommend it or slate it all until I have driven for a couple of hundred miles.

One thing I am struggling with is steep hills in 1st or reverse. Because the flywheel is making it rev happy the first time I tried to move away whilst parked up on a steep hill, it was a complete disaster. The engine was revving stupidly high and the clutch was fully up and I wasn't moving an inch. Admittedly that was about 15 minutes after I had picked the car up and the clutch istelf wasn't bedded in (the car can now do hill starts but it is revving a lot before moving away), but I do see that being a continued issue due to the flywheel.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links