Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Bulb Change Advice

Scotsman

Hi,

One of my dipped lights went on my 53plate D-4D - so I'm planning on replacing both bulbs this afternoon.

Any advice/tips on how to do this? Can it be done without removing headlight unit or bumper etc.?

cheers in advance.

Thanks for the reply.

My hands are like shovels - reckon there will be sore hands and lots of swearing :(

Took me about an hour to change sides and dipped. (only cos I was an ***** and did it in the dark :lol:) It's fairly easy actually. I didn't use the pliers too much.

Start with the near side, remove the Battery - that way you can see exactly what you're doing and have loads of room. Then when you progress on to the off-side you'll have a better idea of how to do it. You may find it useful using a small mirror instead of trying to bend your head around.

Thanks for all the replies :thumbsup:

Got it done, and it only hurt loads for a while. :D

I didn't remove the Battery or bumper. I also never done it by the book either. Instead I unclipped the bulb before disconnecting it. It wouldn't have been half as bad if the connector didn't feel welded to the bulb - thats what gave me the most grief.

In the end it took me about 40mins using just my hands (no pliers) with a lot of swearing and skin removal.

Well I think you've been quite lucky Scotsman - I have just spent best part of three hours attempting to change the drivers side dipped bulb. I have managed to get the new one in but it is impossible to get the connector back on! I was really hoping not to have to dismantle the car to change a bulb - but it is obvioulsy going to come to that.

Whoever designed this arrangement was a complete idiot!!

I own two Toyota's, but I am sorry to say will never buy Toyota again. Every experience I have with maintaining these cars either threatens to cost £1000s or is frustratingly difficult to solve.

Thanks for all the replies :thumbsup:

Got it done, and it only hurt loads for a while. :D

I didn't remove the battery or bumper. I also never done it by the book either. Instead I unclipped the bulb before disconnecting it. It wouldn't have been half as bad if the connector didn't feel welded to the bulb - thats what gave me the most grief.

In the end it took me about 40mins using just my hands (no pliers) with a lot of swearing and skin removal.

hey guys, sorry to hijack this thread.

I have a blown side light, so was thinking about changing them all due to them appearing to be very dull.

Can someone recommend me some bright road legal replacements?

Much appreciated.

hey guys, sorry to hijack this thread.

I have a blown side light, so was thinking about changing them all due to them appearing to be very dull.

Can someone recommend me some bright road legal replacements?

Much appreciated.

Hello there!

Please check out This: http://toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=89568 thread (My Link button doresn't work in work! :P). You'll notice pictures of my lights on my T Sport and if you scroll further down, I have replied again with links to the bulbs I have. Please be aware that the price on the website is for a set of the bulbs and not just a single bulb. if you did choose those all in it'd cost you about £25 + P&P on top.

Cheers

Kearon.

Well I've just tried swapping the dipped bulbs on my wife's E12 to upgraded ones and have given up as I cannot get the plug off the bulb. Unfortunately I think I've blown the bulb that was already in as she's only got sidelights on the driver's side now and when I put on full beam she loses that. A trip to the local garage is in order tomorrow morning.

I would really like to meet the designer who came up with the layout and shake him warmly by the throat, surely changing bulbs should be a 5 minute job!

Well I've just tried swapping the dipped bulbs on my wife's E12 to upgraded ones and have given up as I cannot get the plug off the bulb.

That's what gave me the most grief. It's like the F*&cker is welded on. The manual says disconnect before un-clipping bulb. I was sure I was going to break the reflector which is why I un-clipped first.

Once un-clipped I held the bulb against my palm using my ring and little fingers. I then held the connector between my thumb and index finger. I then got a rocking motion going and it eventually came apart.

It's not easy. I sure hope these bulbs last a long time.

It might be useful to spray some WD40 on the plastic plug first and this should loosen it up making it easier to remove. I've tried this on my wife's micra when changing bulbs though Nissan give you more room to play with when removing bulbs making it much easier. :D

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links