Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Unexpected Steering At Speed

JonFB

Hi Guys,

Don't think this is related to the other topic of shaking/juddering steering wheel and power steering but:

Have you ever experienced A. the steering feeling increasingly light and therefore the car somewhat skittish when driving at speed? e.g. When on a road that isn't perfectly straight, e.g. an A road (not motorway) and travelling about 80mph or more, the car sometimes (maybe 10 times in the last year) handles really quite unnervingly light.

Also B. at lower speeds, but still maybe 60mphish, it often seems to loose traction when changing lanes, I almost thought it was skidding on the paintwork on the white lines but surely it can't handle that badly? It kind of lurches all of a sudden and you have a nanosecond of feeling completely out of control - certainly have to have both hands on the wheel and not to panic when it happens. It is quite scary.

I must admit I don't feel that safe in the Prius when driving at speeds over 80mph. It doesn't feel stable, or firmly planted on the road. Possibly because the car is so light, I don't know.

Do you think this is just the nature of Toyota's creation? Car has been regurlarly and recently serviced at the main dealer so it should be in good nick.

Any ideas? :eek:

Hi JonFB,

I have only done over 80MPH on motorways but the Prius handled well at that speed.

Only lost traction on a steep slope but the road was not a tarmac road just rubble and that was at walking speed.

I have always felt safe in the Prius and in my previous Avensis.

Although you say your car has been serviced perhaps they were not looking for anything that could be faulty that could cause your problems. I would get them to do checks specifically for the problems you are concerned about.

Let us know how things go.

• 3 weeks later...

Have you ever experienced A. the steering feeling increasingly light and therefore the car somewhat skittish when driving at speed? e.g. When on a road that isn't perfectly straight, e.g. an A road (not motorway) and traveling about 80mph or more, the car sometimes (maybe 10 times in the last year) handles really quite unnervingly light.

This is not normal behaviour but before you take it in to be investigated check:_

your tyres are not overinflated as this can result in light steering..

that the ASC (Traction Control) system is not kicking in when hitting kerbs or potholes as this can give impression of skittish behaviour (but its safely correcting a minor skid) and has a dash warning light to advise you.

Other than this I have not come across this at all!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links