Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Turbo Slug

mickboy

Update on the ongoing trouble shooting on the 4D4 lack of power. Have changed the SCV's (via Kingo's excellent service) but alas to no avail. By chance I noticed that the Turbo cut in at 3750rpm when I held it second which of course means it isn't working normally. Checked the Turbo it seems to rotate freely enough, checked the E-VRV resistance ( Vacuum Regulator Valve this seems to control the Turbo) which according to Toyota should have a resistance of 10-16 ohm between the the two terminals but mine has no resistance at all. On starting the engine after reconnecting the valve the EWL stayed on. Using my OBD11 reader I had a fault code 0045 recorded which is a Generic code for Turbo Boost valve open circuit. Have dialled up another VRV from Kingo...

My Rav is an 02GX 4D4 but the OB11 reader appears to read as it should..

Keep you posted Mick B)

Update on the ongoing trouble shooting on the 4D4 lack of power. Have changed the SCV's (via Kingo's excellent service) but alas to no avail. By chance I noticed that the Turbo cut in at 3750rpm when I held it second which of course means it isn't working normally. Checked the Turbo it seems to rotate freely enough, checked the E-VRV resistance ( Vacuum Regulator Valve this seems to control the Turbo) which according to Toyota should have a resistance of 10-16 ohm between the the two terminals but mine has no resistance at all. On starting the engine after reconnecting the valve the EWL stayed on. Using my OBD11 reader I had a fault code 0045 recorded which is a Generic code for Turbo Boost valve open circuit. Have dialled up another VRV from Kingo...

My Rav is an 02GX 4D4 but the OB11 reader appears to read as it should..

Keep you posted Mick B)

wot you need is a 3 door 4.1 version petrol RAV with a 3SGTE fitted and a real turbo - might be able to help you on that one :lol:

Thanks for the offer Bothy but I've got to get this thing running right if its the last thing I do. I've now changed the E-VRV but you guessed it its still the same , the Turbo cuts in at 3750rpm. Any one got any good ideas...

Mick

Thanks for the offer Bothy but I've got to get this thing running right if its the last thing I do. I've now changed the E-VRV but you guessed it its still the same , the Turbo cuts in at 3750rpm. Any one got any good ideas...

Mick

stunning silence from wur dieselly owners suggests they are all asleep in awe at the rugby result at the weekend.......

I forget who is who as these things keep coming up.

You need to check that the vacuum unit and linkage is working throughout it's full stroke so you can demonstrate the variable rate nozzles are catering for full and part throttle.

pm me with your email and I will send you some info (when I am not at work).

I forget who is who as these things keep coming up.

You need to check that the vacuum unit and linkage is working throughout it's full stroke so you can demonstrate the variable rate nozzles are catering for full and part throttle.

pm me with your email and I will send you some info (when I am not at work).

Thanks Anchorman...I can confirm that the 'wastegate' is stuck in the closed position, I have tried to free it off but it looks as though I will have to pull the turbo apart to do it....

I will pm you as any info will be appreciated... :)

Its not a wastegate (discharges overboost to atmosphere) it is the variable rate nozzles that control turbo output by restricting the inlet opening and is almost certainly causing your problem.

I will send your info ASAP but am working soon so may be tomorrow.

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...

Firstly thanks anchorman for the info you provided it came in very handy..

I have now replaced the turbo as although I managed to free the VSV's off the turbine was damaged and it had over 0.25" play in the shaft and after refitting it it still did not work. I fitted a reconditioned unit from Turbo Solutions at a cost of £630 with a 12 month warranty the Rav now runs like a real one.

The only really awkward part of the job is refitting the rigid oil tubes on the rear lower side of the turbo, two clamps on the coolant tubes prevent loosing the coolant and the rest is just nuts and bolts...

The Rav is now a completely different car lets hope it stays like it :D

Rgds Mick..

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links