Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

T Sport 93000 Miles

chris.100

Hi,

Would any of you recommend buying a 02 T-Sport, 93k on the clock if it in good condition etc. These are all the details I have at the moment. Would be around £3.5k

Thanks

Can get better for roughly the same price in my opinion! Just need to shop around!

Seen a Silver 05 plate with 40 something k on the clock for £5.5k!

Personally I wouldn't.

there are a few things on the t sport that are crap. one is the clutch and the other is the gearbox. unless it has been driven on a motorway i think the synchros will be shot. the clutch is notoriously crap also.

Why is the gearbox crap? Toyota mechanic i know says the gearbox is sound in these! A clutch isnt too dear to replace.

Id be more worried about the engine TBH!

mine and quite a few peoples gears tends to crunch when its cold. basically the synchros shrink and the cone that goes over them doesn't generate enough friction to match the speeds hence crunch.

I'm not saying it will break but at 90k, its going to have way more wear than something with 40k on it. I would also stick my neck out here and say the car is unproven at high mileage, most people on here don't have much above 50k, until 75-80k is reached by a number of people it would be difficult to state whether the car is totally reliable or not. my 2p worth.

Regarding toyota mechanics, correct me if i'm wrong but i was told they didnt strip gearboxes down, they just changed the complete unit and it went back to toyota for overhaul.

Your right mate, its hard to say what the engines are like with high miles, but there are a few on Celica Owners Club with well over 100k and they have been fine!

Thats weird about the gearbox, havent noticed any problems with mine, but never say never and all that...have you changed your gearbox oil? I have changed mine at 54k and it feels like new!

until 75-80k is reached by a number of people it would be difficult to state whether the car is totally reliable or not. my 2p worth.

Put me down for some of that, mine's almost due its 90k service :thumbsup: mechanically it seems fine but I just wish people would stop hitting and running it.

i cant see you havin any problems with a toyota engine thats done 90k, there renowned for being excellent build quality and reliable, presuming the zz engine is as good built as the rest, theres lots of older toyotas out there with 100,000 miles on them and still goin fine, but obviosly its best if you can get the lowest miles you can for your money if you can.

3.5 is 2 much for that car, unless it has some unreal service history id aim for around 3k

If a car is looked after i wouldnt worry so much about the miles. My cars got 95 on it now. Look at it this way, that car could have been on the motorway all it life, sitting at 3500rpm, engine up to temp. Id rather have that car than something with 40k that thats been driving stop start around a city never reaching operating temp for the last 7 years. Most of the wear on an engine happens when its cold. A low mileage car like the ts could be hammering it between the traffic lights all its life!!! Read some of the post on here, lads hammering it to hit lift in first and second.

Low mileage doesnt automatically equal a better car

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links